V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board

Thanks AndrewT

Thank you AndrewT for your patience in explaining and advising.

Below is my current configuration unfortunately i blew one sacrificial resistor tied on the amp board's fuse for not double checking on the output's voltage by feeding a -58 vdc into the +v of the board.

But what confuse me now is that im having both negative voltage(-58 0 -58) on the left channel psu board and both positive voltage(+58 0 +58) on the right channel psu board. I could still use this configuration and connect the +V amd -V accordingly but i think it will defeat the purpose of me having 2 seperate boad(1 secondary for each channel) as it will cross board.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Can anyone advice me on how can i configure the wiring in such a way that i could use 1 secondary winding to provide 1 channel psu board +V and -V? to create a dual mono configuration? Im at my wit's end!

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you have an order that's being held up by a pre-order item, yes you can have the order split (and pay the difference for shipping). Just contact the helpdesk at diyAudio | Portal with your order number and all the details and Elena will fix you up.

I sent e-mail request using the web page yesterday. How long does it usually take to proceed it? Thanks!

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I sent e-mail request using the web page yesterday. How long does it usually take to proceed it? Thanks!

We try for 24 hour customer support turnaround but sometimes it can take 2 days, maybe 3 on a weekend ;) We're a "boutique" operation which means you'll get extra love and personal attention from our lovely Helpdesk (eventually) but we aren't as quick as some places. The warehouse is as quick as anywhere though - in fact we had to put the brakes on the warehouse because it was sending things out too quickly and people often wanted last minute changes after placing their orders.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks! Sorry for bothering, I was planning to make the amp this weekend (you still have Nov 18th estimated shipping date :).

Ah, yes. I've been a bit slack with updating the estimated shipping dates when they have pushed out. My apologies. The next batch of boards should be shipping within 2 weeks, the next batch of chassis are sailing the Atlantic... hard to tell as it depends on customs but about a month for those.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Well, it's been three days and nobody hasn't return to me... :-( now it looks like a boutique :) :). Maybe it is better to order a new ACA boards and cancel the ones in the order? Or maybe someone from US has a pair they can send to me and I will return them as soon as I get my order from the store? :)

Hi,
I have a question about the v3 PSU board and capacitors used in its circuit. I've read a bit some capacitors being better for audio than others and they tend to be quite expensive. I'm happy to spend a bit more for a better quality sound but not unnecessarily.

So, could someone please clarify for me that the capacitors used in this PSU (this is for an F5t v3) dont need to be these high end type capacitors? I figure this because as far as I can tell, the audio signal from the source is not travelling through the PSU so wont be affected by the capacitors.

Is that correct?

:confused::confused::confused:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You can use whatever pranks you like, but most people here and Nelson among them are using Panasonic snap in caps. They are really good for the application! If you have extra money, just increase capacitance and go dual mono. That will make much bigger improvement for the amp :).

The input capacitors on the amplifier are generally the more critical caps to upgrade. Depends on what you're building but they are likely smaller and less in number- put your money there.

No, the sound signal does not pass through the PSU at all.
The current coming out of the smoothing capacitors IS the music signal.
Gootee states this very eloquently.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a voltage rating higher than necessary when selecting a capacitor in terms of long-term wear? Does this effect ESR over time?

I am under the impression that a higher voltage rating suggests that the capacitor will be more effective at dissipating heat so it can't hurt to go higher.

Electrolytic esr tends to be a bit lower as voltage rating is increased from the same range of caps from the specific manufacturer.
That lower esr leads to lower dissipated power and thus lower operating temperature for the same ripple current.

What I don't know is what the esr degenerates to, when a high voltage rating cap is used at a much lower voltage. It could be that the esr becomes as high as for the low voltage cap.