Using the AD844 as an I/V

What load did you have on the output of the AK4396? The caps on the rail are there to reduce the induced rail noise (caused by the internal opamps operating in classAB). But you can also reduce the rail noise by reducing the output loading. So if adding caps blew you away you may find reducing the load (increasing its impedance) gives you a similar enhancement but primarily to the bass (where the caps are having little effect).

Sorry for being off topic. This is the output stage of my ak4396.

I think changing the load is a bit trouble some because I will have to change the value of filter caps around the opamp.

I previously used 100nf pps cap for bypass but i have some biger electrolytic further away (a few hundred uF). The sound is cleaner and more dynamic with x7r caps as bypass compared to pps caps

Last edited:
Yes you would have to also change the filter caps. But when I did this mod on WM8740 (similar chip) the improvement in bass dynamics was dramatic. Ideally you'd change all the 1k resistors to about 39k and then C46 goes down to 82pF, 1n goes to 22pF. You'll want to change the opamp to a JFET type too or the noise will go up considerably, I use ISL28210.

What load did you have on the output of the AK4396? The caps on the rail are there to reduce the induced rail noise (caused by the internal opamps operating in classAB). But you can also reduce the rail noise by reducing the output loading. So if adding caps blew you away you may find reducing the load (increasing its impedance) gives you a similar enhancement but primarily to the bass (where the caps are having little effect).

Actually I changed the bypass caps for the dac and the opamp at the same time so the 'blow away' effect may be a combination of the effects of the x7r caps on the opamp as well as the DAC chip.

Yes you would have to also change the filter caps. But when I did this mod on WM8740 (similar chip) the improvement in bass dynamics was dramatic. Ideally you'd change all the 1k resistors to about 39k and then C46 goes down to 82pF, 1n goes to 22pF. You'll want to change the opamp to a JFET type too or the noise will go up considerably, I use ISL28210.

Thanks for the tip. I will try at some point as I need to find some good enough resistors and filter cap with these values.

ISL28210 is a good choice here. 9fA/sqrt(HZ) current noise is ideal for 39k input resistor (only generate 351pV/sqrt(HZ) noise). Thanks for the tip.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi canvas (Poting),

Thanks for your feedback

Hi Jesper,

Yes, I finally paralleled another 100nf C0G to further improve the HF. I'm still evaluating this combo. Having listen to various albums, so far so good! BTW, my 10uf X7R is from TDK, 1210 rated 100V.

Poting

... I will look for some 10 uF TDKs (or similar) in place of the electrolytics I have been listening to. Hmmm... maybe you know already but Samuel Groner some time ago recommended that C0Gs be higher than a 100 Volt types - apparently distortion is lowest in these types. I've been listening to some different 100 nF C0Gs ( :) ) and to my ears the Kemet types were the most harmonic sounding closely followed by TDKs.

Cheers,

Jesper

Attachments

• AD844_tripple_stack.zip
    106 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
maybe you know already but Samuel Groner some time ago recommended that C0Gs be higher than a 100 Volt types

Well, I am kind of late to the party. No, I don't know about this, but the 100nF C0Gs at hand are rated 50V and 450V, both in different size. Now, I put 10uf X7R (with 100nF across both rails) on DAC chips, I/V and buffer. The resolution on LF & Mid improves greatly. Be sure to use Rhopoint GG102 as I/V resistor. The sound stage becomes 3D!

Poting

Here is an AD844 triple in a new Dac I just built.

Attachments

• DSC_0736.JPG
    DSC_0736.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 373
Lightning...

Sorry to hear your lost. Ever thought about using UPS for your devices? I have one used APC 1000VA UPS. It's inexpensive ($20 for the UPS and another $20 for batteries) and provides enough protection for my audio devices. Some say UPS will degrade the sound, but I found this APC has minimal impact on sound quality.

A UPS would be nice to have. I have an audio club DIY power conditioner here. In fact I was still in vacation mode when the lightning struck. The AC power was isolated at the time. It came in the cable companies coax. My mistake was not having disconnected one ethernet cable to a Blu ray player. So it came in via my internet connection. Live and learn I guess. Who would expect a thunderstorm in Minnesota in late November? :confused:

Buffer amplifier that beats OPA627

Hi guys, On the advice of an ASM member of my local audio club, I started looking at other options to the OPA627. So I have had the OPA1641's in both the PCM1704 dac and the parallel TDA1541A S1 crown dac version. As a buffer for Pedja's DDNF it is clearly better. More transparent, a touch more bass and a sharply focused sound stage. Holographic. Extra levels of detail. Only down side I see is there is no nulling option with this chip. So hanging one off the TZ of a AD844 you likely will have no adjustment of offset. Maybe a DC servo could be used? I am using this chip as a unity gain device and have tried it as a gain =2 and gain = 1.5. It works very well. I have a pair of discrete op amps on order to give that a try as well. I am also going to try the OPA1611's in lower impedance buffer positions. Today I experimented with the parallel TDA1541A S1 crown dac using the DDNF into a 7th order GIC filter with the OPA1641's in the final buffer stage. It is the best headphone sound to date I have heard. I am using a Schiit Magne 2 Uber headamp and Audio Technica ATH M50 Studio monitors. Impressive. I thought I'd have to get a pair of planar headphones to get this sort of resolution. :D

Hi guys, On the advice of an ASM member of my local audio club, I started looking at other options to the OPA627. So I have had the OPA1641's in both the PCM1704 dac and the parallel TDA1541A S1 crown dac version. As a buffer for Pedja's DDNF it is clearly better. More transparent, a touch more bass and a sharply focused sound stage. Holographic. Extra levels of detail. Only down side I see is there is no nulling option with this chip. So hanging one off the TZ of a AD844 you likely will have no adjustment of offset. Maybe a DC servo could be used? I am using this chip as a unity gain device and have tried it as a gain =2 and gain = 1.5. It works very well. I have a pair of discrete op amps on order to give that a try as well. I am also going to try the OPA1611's in lower impedance buffer positions. Today I experimented with the parallel TDA1541A S1 crown dac using the DDNF into a 7th order GIC filter with the OPA1641's in the final buffer stage. It is the best headphone sound to date I have heard. I am using a Schiit Magne 2 Uber headamp and Audio Technica ATH M50 Studio monitors. Impressive. I thought I'd have to get a pair of planar headphones to get this sort of resolution. :D

Have you tried an LME49710. I hear they are meant to pretty good as well?