Using CAT5 as speaker wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
KP11520 said:
Cat-6, most of the time, is 23 ga and not 24 ga. Also, and maybe this is just marketing, Cat-6 is supposed to be more uniform (less fluctuation in thickness and quality).

The fatter guage would be to the disadvantage of the Cat 6, the greater consistency of thickness & quality a bonus.

I recently stripped up some Cat 6 and didn't really notice musch physical difference in the strands other than the move vivid colour of the insulation. I will have a close look.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
I've used it for that but, to be honest, Cat 5e has better tying down characteristics.

It makes OK twist ties too.

Should I use three separate runs of full cable (using just two conductors) or use three pairs of conductors in one cable?
Using one cable to carry the three frequency bands is appealing for compactness.

I'd start by using a single run. Giving that it is a long run and your speakers aren't efficient, i'd use 2 pair for the bass. Keep the runs the same length. Also keep in mind that it gets better if you separate the strands.

dave

planet10 said:

aka 18 guage rope. excellent for tieing stuff down in the back of the truck.

Take your wire and unzip it -- ie split it into 2 separated runs. Listen. Report back.

dave

Dave,

Putting on my scientist hat....

If you split the two conductors and run separate paths you will in effect make a large loop antenna that will pickup all sorts of unwanted RF garbage and noise, some LF noise as well like mains hum. This is not a good idea IMSO. (In My Scientific Opinion).

The twist or close parallel construction of a twin conductor like line cord is a technique that is very effective in making the wire system immune to such noise pickup effects.

Taking off my scientist hat now. Oh, that feels better!

I'm currently using the VH DIY Cat5s with 27 wires per run, and it was an improvement from the zip cord. It was not an improvement to my fingers, though :)
I use it with a flea-powered '45 SET (no risk of oscillation, and low damping) and with an EL84PP, 15 WPC, with no oscillations either. Haven't compared with more expensive cables as I'm fat-wallet-impaired. But happy with them.
I use FE108EZ BLHs.

High capacitance/oscillation problems could be resolved with Zobel Networks, but having to add complexity to a layout only to use a cable doesn't fit my bill.

Gastón

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

I'd start by using a single run. Giving that it is a long run and your speakers aren't efficient, i'd use 2 pair for the bass. Keep the runs the same length. Also keep in mind that it gets better if you separate the strands.

My speakers aren't that inefficient (all driver over 90db).
I'll give it a try.
I don't like the idea of untwisting them though. A nice, tidy package this cable makes that I can tuck out of sight beneath my orange shag.:cool:

planet10 said:

If you are using the many, many strands twisted recepies, yes it can be enuff to put the crappy amp out of its misery.

dave
HT receivers don't seem to like it either.

I used a single pair on my horns for ages, and when I multiamped, sometimes pairs from the same cable, just forr convenience, didn't notice any difference with seperate runs from each amp, just mainly used that when there were physical differences between the amp's location that made that less convenient.

Brett said:
Skin effect isn't relevant at audio frequencies.
I used to use cat5, but short runs to horns. I've seem some SS amps go into apoplexy when connected with multiple braided runs where the capacitance is high. Andrew is correct when he said compatability is paramount.

It seems that the ARRL handbook (1988) does state that 'skin effect' is not significant at audio frequencies. That was the impression I was under. But after reading Scott's post and looking at the archive from Full Range Driver, I noticed GM talked about 'skin' and a guy named Hawkford. I looked this up and found information that showed comparisons of audio frequencies and how much 'deeper' in the wire lower frequencies travel. This would imply that higher frequencies are subjected to higher impedance since they use less of the CSA of the solid wire. So who's right? The amateur radio guys or Hawkford?

awhite1159 said:
.It seems that the ARRL handbook (1988) does state that 'skin effect' is not significant at audio frequencies. That was the impression I was under. But after reading Scott's post and looking at the archive from Full Range Driver, I noticed GM talked about 'skin' and a guy named Hawkford. I looked this up and found information that showed comparisons of audio frequencies and how much 'deeper' in the wire lower frequencies travel. This would imply that higher frequencies are subjected to higher impedance since they use less of the CSA of the solid wire. So who's right? The amateur radio guys or Hawkford?
There is a long history of very sound engineering, by thoroughly trained engineers in the ARRL, so please don't think of them as amatuerish.

I respect Malcolm Hawksford a lot, but I feel he's way out on a limb with this one. The table near the bottom conveniently calcs out depth at various audio freq's. How thick is your wire, and do you really beleive you'll hear the difference with enough current and speakers making several orders of magnitude more distortion? Even at 20kHz it's still pretty much the full depth of a 24g cable, which is about the largest single strand / conductor size used anywhere in audio gear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

awhite1159 said:

So who's right? The amateur radio guys or Hawkford?

I'd say they both are, it's just a question of manitude.
It wouldn't be enough to hear but it might be enough to measure in certain conditions.

has anyone tried using the outer conductors of ribbon cable?
John MJL: you could use 50 conductor SCSI ribbon, there is enough separation for three pairs.
The unused wires running along the field might affect it a bit.
Cryogenic treatment should fix that :p

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Brett said:

How thick is your wire, and do you really beleive you'll hear the difference with enough current and speakers making several orders of magnitude more distortion? Even at 20kHz it's still pretty much the full depth of a 24g cable, which is about the largest single strand / conductor size used anywhere in audio gear.

Brett, it seems that you suffer from the same curse as I do: uncommon good sense! ;)

Well actually I am not lacking in sense. I don't believe you implied that. I purposely bring these questions up to initiate responses. I am still in the process of digesting all the information. You may have taken me out of context with my amateur comment. It's a part of the acronym so thats why I said it that way. Brett, you make a good point. I don't doubt the validity of your most recent comment since I just don't know enough about it and it seems to make sense.

I wasn't having a go, jst making sure you had the info, as I don't know, and didn't want to dismiss the ARRL info because of the A. It's always good to ask and I hope I didn't seem like I was discouraging.

Philes do tend to get caught up in minutae that really aren't relevant, eg skin effect in cables. I have been and am sometimes guilty of this myself still.

Brett, to bolster your point a little further, consider magnitudes. If a cable doubles in impedance between 20Hz and 20kHz but it's only 50 milliohms to begin with, the skin effect, though dramatic, is insignificant*. In reality, most cables are a bit more resistive than that, but the actual increase in impedance is a lot lower than 2:1. What makes audibility of skin effect even more unlikely (absent any actual controlled listening tests demonstrating audibility) is the rising impedance of most speakers at higher frequencies, which more than compensates for any changes in cable impedance.

*There was a famous paper in elementary particle physics which had the wonderful sentence, "The energy of an electron, though infinite, is small."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.