Used Full Range drivers, second life..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, lets start with this one because it is handy....

In Canada older Norescos are a good source for donors. These are from amoungst the latest worthwhile mining, probably model NEC-524 (i haven't run across all too many of these, can recognize the box when i see it, but it isn't ingrained in my brain enuff to describe it). Earlier models used Isophons or Philips drivers, these ones are a result of cost trimming. Ruinious duties made it sensible to assemble locally with some foriegn content. These are interesting in that they are the deep isophon 8" cone with a whizzer added. Made by Marsland. These are quite excellent soundng, support the FE166/167 phase plugs, and have Q suitable for OB, pipe/TL, or aperiodic box.

Attachments

• marsland-isophon-8frw.jpg
    marsland-isophon-8frw.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,174
Introduction to used drivers hunting

Hi Planet,

The technical data you just introduced, is it for the 8" Marsland drivers you just refered to in your previous post?

Quite interesting. It reminds me that some 30 years ago, I bought a pair of 8" Marsland, with whizzer cones, to make a pair of speakers for my mom's kitchen. She still uses them, though I always found they had some "cup" sound resonances.

I already look forward to starting my search in the flea markets this summer.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Older Norescos -- notable by a brownish tweed-like grill, and backs held in place with robertson screws -- have Isophon & Philips drivers. The 2 smallest have Philips 7" & 5" drivers with whizzer cones.

I have already put together a page with a whack of Philips drivers in it.

http://p10hifi.net/planet10/vintage-driver-gallery/philips/

I've not found a lot of the 5" drivers (or they have been more than i've been willing to spend -- they don't command what they are worth on eBay) -- the 7s have an accordian surround.

One of the early speakers i ever built (in 1974) used 4 of the 5" (new at the time) in an EPI MicroTower clone -- my brother is still using these, althou they have been supplanted as his prime speakers with another set of alpha TLs i built for him with 6 1/2" drivers.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
and the holy grail of Norescos... the PH2132 8" x 12" CoAxial

This is the same (or close relative) of the drivers Shoog had + the HM10 tweeter above. I sent a pair of these back to Germany so a fellow could restore a juke box...

This is 1.5-2 cu ft box, and you can feel the oval cutout plus a retangular slot at one end.

Attachments

• isophon-8x12coax.jpg
    isophon-8x12coax.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,154
drivers lesson

Quite interesting.

Thanks for this usefull posting. How about the sound of these drivers?

I came across a few Noresco (distributor of Dual products in Canada, isn't it?) speakers in flea markets, but never paid any attention to them, since I thought Noresco speakers were so so.

When I was young, Noresco was my first hi-fi system. If my memory is right, my speakers were Nec-571. A big 10" Fostex or Foster driver, and a small 3" tweeter. Not bad but not very efficient.

Time to run to work.. Have a nice day.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: drivers lesson

Because Noresco gets not much respect you can usually pick up the speakers for a song. And some of them are quite common (get enuff of them, the boxes make nice shelf units)

All the isophons have a family character, and we covered off that sound earlier... even if you don't like it yourself, the drivers fetch a good return on eBay and there are people that really love them and will give them a 2nd life

Sylver300B said:
When I was young, Noresco was my first hi-fi system. If my memory is right, my speakers were Nec-571. A big 10" Fostex or Foster driver, and a small 3" tweeter. Not bad but not very efficient.

My 1st hifi was a Noresco too. But i got Patterson Industry speakers to go along.

I've not found a complete pair of those Noresco speakers yet... i have a single woofer (which is a real beauty). The 3" tweeter is a Foster 8F3 (ie we would dub this an FE83A today). It is a 3" version of the FE103A, and a real catch.

dave

Attachments

• foster-25e33.jpg
    foster-25e33.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,047
Speaker library

Hi Dave,

Gee, you continue to really impress me, non stop :D

These drivers exactly are what I remember I was owning. The big 10" was a nice piece of driver to look at, and the small 3" tweeter was equally looking as you describe, a miniature Fe103.

In those days, I had bought my first real system, and the amp was in fact a Noresco receiver (not so good) but then, I traded it for a Dual CV-80 wich I liked very much. Of course, I was using a Dual turntable/Shure M91E combo (1219).

Then, I acquired a really nice receiver that I still own today, as a classic, a Braun Regie 510. What a nice piece of equipment. But that's another story.

Thanks for sharing.

Re: Re: drivers lesson

planet10 said:

All the isophons have a family character, and we covered off that sound earlier... even if you don't like it yourself, the drivers fetch a good return on eBay and there are people that really love them and will give them a 2nd life
dave

Well Dave,

I don't really get when I might have said that "I don't like them". I am just saying that at the time, my Noresco speakers were not a great match for the amplifier I had. As a two way, that speaker (as I remember it some 30 years ago..) had bottome and highs, and kind of a hole in the mids..

Then, I had a pair of Ditton 25 that I quicly traded for a pair of beloved Celestion Ditton 66, and then, Braun speakers (loved them) I still have one pair of LV-1020 triamped Braun and matching receiver.. and some IMF, and Tannoys and..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.