• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Help with I2C

I'm trying to test sending I2C commands from the Combo to a Buffalo II DAC but can't get it to work.
I'd like to ask for help any one who has made any ES901x DAC work with the update tool.
I'm using v. 111a of the Update Tools and 1072 firmware (both CPU and CPLD). Tried with and without Buffalo's on board BIOS.
I've connected pin 2 of the Combo384 to SCL and pin 12 to SDA on the DAC.

As per Domenico's instructions on post #1062 on this thread (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/216474-usb-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-107.html#post3284712)

I assigned the next for simple testing:

On88Set:
address = 0x49
register = 0xA
value = OxCF (mute)

and in case it worked I assigned the following to unmute:

On176Set:
address = 0x49
register = 0xA
value = OxCE (unmute)

Save by clicking "Write Flash"

I also tried changing address to 0x90 but same result. Playing a 88.2K file does nothing, there is music coming through so "mute" command wasn't triggered by 88k sample rate as expected.

Any ideas? am I doing something wrong?

Sorry not sure which Bios you are referring to here. The one in your PC? If so, probably not relevant here.
There is also normally a earth/ground connection that should go between the Combo and the Buffalo I2C connection. At least there is one in my Buffalo24. Just checked your register numbers and values against the ES9018 datasheet and they appear to be correct to mute and unmute the DAC. I take it, you have tested with a meter to make sure that the I2C wires interconnect correctly?

Sorry, by BIOS I menat the TPA firmware chip.
Haven't measured yet but I'll try doing SCL tomorrow, guess it'll be TTL 1.65V level, right? measuring data could be problematic if it produces short burts when commands are sent.
I'll also try post some pics of the wiring but I did twist each wire with a GND line joined them at the Buffalo's end.

Haven't measured yet but I'll try doing SCL tomorrow, guess it'll be TTL 1.65V level, right? measuring data could be problematic if it produces short burts when commands are sent.
I'll also try post some pics of the wiring but I did twist each wire with a GND line joined them at the Buffalo's end.

The TPA firmware is only active at DAC power up after which it goes to "sleep" so shoudn't be interfering with the commands. The I2C bus will be powered by the 3.3V supply I assume. Not sure whether you can actually measure this on SCL with a multimeter, ideally you need a digital scope. What I meant originally was a simple continuity test with a multimeter on the wiring. SDA is pin 21 and SCL pin 22 on the Sabre chip if you wanted to test continuity right to the chip.
Edit-
Oops just noticed that you are using 0xA for your register, it should be 0x0A. That should sort it!!

Last edited:
Even if you type 0x0A the tool displays it as 0xA. Actually it is possible to write the register # in dec and it'll get converted and diplayed in hex (10->0xA). The same is possible with address value but it'll display 0x90 instead of 0x48. Strangely enough this doesn't work with value, if I type 11001111 (0xCF) the tools shows 0x17.

Edit:

I measured and there is continuity.

Last edited:

Do you have pull up resistors on the I2C lines?

No unless they are already on any of the boards, I just soldered the cables from one board to the other. If needed, what value and where should they be placed?

Looking at the Amanero schematics suggests that there are none on the board it self so you will need to add some. I'd suggest trying 1.5k between SCA and +V and between SCL and +V.

I2C is quite fussy and will certainly not work without them.

I think R14 (1.4K) and R15 (1.5K) on the Buffalo II are the pull up resistors. They are in the path of the firmware chip too.

buffalo2_whole-2.jpg

(courtesy of Glt)

Last edited: