• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Will an Ipad Mini 2 power the Amanero module through the camera connection kit?
Hey Sbelyo,

Did you ever figure this out? ^^^ I have the same question ^^^

I'm currently using a USB to S/PDIF device (Peachtree Audio X1). With iPhone 5, or iPhone 6sPlus, I found a way to make it work. I have a cheap RadioShack "Powered" USB Hub. The USB Hub plugs into A/C power with a simple wall wart. I plug iPhone (via Apple Camera Connection Kit (Lightning to Female USB)) into the USB hub. Then I plug the USB to S/PDIF device into the powered hub. It works great. Without the powered Hub in the chain, I would get a message on iPhone screen saying something like "USB device draws too much power. iPhone can not run this device". The powered Hub solves this problem.

Strangely enough, if I use iPad-Mini 2, it says "Device recognized: USB Hub draws too much power. iPad can not run this device." Apple makes another thing, a Powered Camera Connection Kit supposedly it is specifically designed for iPad Pro. It *might* be the solution for using iPad as described above.

I am wanting to upgrade all the digital front end of my system, like Amanero USB to I2S, and I want to build a Buffalo III as well. Eventually, music will be served from a fannless, noiseless PC with Solid State Harddrives, (no moving parts). The PC upgrade is a ways down the road, and for now I prefer to not use my laptop with its loud fan.

Is anyone successfully using iPhone, iPad or iPod successfully with an Amanero USB to I2S?

p.s., I realize that *if* this will work, it would only be PCM (no DSD).

new surprize, combination "cpld_1080_XC12" + "firmware_1096c4w2" working properly with I2C, but do not working time to time with linux, no sound out at all, but stable working with windows and mac os.
i'm very disappoint Amanero product. every time something do not work.
I will very appreciated if someone saying me what combination of "CPLD version" + "CPU firmware version" I must using for:
1. Master mode (sync), plus stable working with all operation system, Like windows,mac os, LINUX, plus working I2C.
2. Slave mode(sync), plus stable working with all operation system, Like windows,mac os, LINUX,plus working I2C.

p.s. i have this in my log

"Warning! Unlikely big volume range (=32767), cval->res is probably wrong.
[ 29.531322] usb 5-2: [10] FU [Combo384 Amanero Playback Volume] ch = 2, val = -32767/0/1"
[10] FU [Combo384 Amanero Playback Volume] ch = 1, val = -32767/0/1

base on this link https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=225167 this problem in Amanero Firmware.
how to connect with amanero developers????? never will buy this product in future and do not recommended buy to anyone.

Last edited:
I connected with developer, he is a good man, I'm thinking problem will be fixed.
I change my mind, and very recommended buy this product.
if this interested for someone i will writing what version need using for I2C and linux together....
p.s. do not buy Chinese clones ... must be have a problem with linux.

Hello

I have an Amanero Combo board which is working but it is not reporting the sample rate at all ie F3..F0 is stuck high. I have enabled it with the OEM tool and says it has updated the flash but it doesn't seem to do anything. Do i have to upgrade the firmware or CPLD to get this functionality ? Also how can you tell which version of the firmware is installed ?

cheers

Hi David,
I normally update all my Amanero Combo 384 boards.
Usual erase firmware then CPLD_for_180 & then I normally use 1099c1 for the CPU firmware. Also have the enable F0,F1,F2,F3 box ticked & write flash.
Just checked & sample rate reporting correctly.

cheers
Clay

Hi Clay

Do you have to erase the flash before those "configuration bits" settings take effect or can you change them anytime because when I click the button it always says "Flash updated" ? This board was supplied by another member so I am not sure what firmware it has installed which is why I asked whether you can read the firmware version.

cheers
david

Hi David,
I always erase first or you can't do a firmware update. I'm not sure if you can just change the configuration on its own - the flash updated button seems to say updated almost instantly when clicked so you wonder if it actually does any thing.
Sorry but I don't know of any way to check the current firmware - maybe email Dom at Amanero, he is always vey helpful.
Personally I would just do a full erase & update of both CPLD & CPU with the configuration box pre set to what you want first. It only takes a few seconds to do the updates.

Hi David,
I always erase first or you can't do a firmware update. I'm not sure if you can just change the configuration on its own - the flash updated button seems to say updated almost instantly when clicked so you wonder if it actually does any thing.
Sorry but I don't know of any way to check the current firmware - maybe email Dom at Amanero, he is always vey helpful.
Personally I would just do a full erase & update of both CPLD & CPU with the configuration box pre set to what you want first. It only takes a few seconds to do the updates.

OK that did the trick. :up: Upgraded to 1099c1 firmware with the configuration setting as required. It's working on Jriver no problems ;)

thanks
David

A quick question regarding the firmware update. I am using the USB powered version of the Amanero and its hat mounted on the input/switch board of the Soekris DAC. If I want to update the Amanero firmware do I need to remove it from the input board/soekris or can I flash it directly as the input/Soekris boards are not powered during the flashing/updating of the firmwares.

My only worry is that I need to short the pins on the pads of the Amanero as per the instructions to reset the firmware and then reload it via the config file.

Thanks in advance.