• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Try turning bitstreaming to DSD on
Output encoding to none & select the asio driver for the Amanero.

Hi clay

I've got all of those already set. I've tried two SACD's so far and both get converted to 44.1 PCM first. Does it work for you ?

I'm just wondering if it's a DRM issue that the raw data has to be converted to PCM first in order to protect the raw data stream from being copied ?

cheers
david

Hi clay

I've got all of those already set. I've tried two SACD's so far and both get converted to 44.1 PCM first. Does it work for you ?

I'm just wondering if it's a DRM issue that the raw data has to be converted to PCM first in order to protect the raw data stream from being copied ?

cheers
david

HI David.

Peharps your problems is for you don´t know the following.

SACD disc only can be played in DSD mode with dedicated SACD players, never with computer. The computers only can read PCM layer of SACD disc.

With computer you can play DSD files previusly extracted and decoded from SACD disc with modified PS3.

I was played DSD files with Foobar without problems. Never tried it with JRiver.

Regards

Hi David,
Just rechecked & yes on my setup a SACD image played in Jriver ( MC 19)is playing back via my DAC as DSD64. I'm using Nora Jones "The Fall" I will check if I have any more SACD images & test them next week. The server is a Atom based PC running Windows 7. The DAC is my own new Klein DAC II. AK4490EQ driven by the Amanero - firmware_1099rc1. I must admit it was quite exciting to see DSD64 on the display with this album as it is one I know well & can finally hear it in DSD now. It was a downloaded SACD image so I'm not sure what the ripping process was.
Cheers
Clay

Hi David,
Just rechecked & yes on my setup a SACD image played in Jriver ( MC 19)is playing back via my DAC as DSD64. I'm using Nora Jones "The Fall" I will check if I have any more SACD images & test them next week. The server is a Atom based PC running Windows 7. The DAC is my own new Klein DAC II. AK4490EQ driven by the Amanero - firmware_1099rc1. I must admit it was quite exciting to see DSD64 on the display with this album as it is one I know well & can finally hear it in DSD now. It was a downloaded SACD image so I'm not sure what the ripping process was.
Cheers
Clay

Hi Clay

I had the 1096 firmware so I updated to the latest 1099RC2 but still no dice. Perhaps it's something in windows. I used the 1080 revision for the CPLD so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

For those needing to update their Amanero board should read the readme file that comes with the download from Amanero as well as follow these instructions https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2013/04/06/amanero-pcm-and-dsd-update/

cheers

HI David.

Peharps your problems is for you don´t know the following.

SACD disc only can be played in DSD mode with dedicated SACD players, never with computer. The computers only can read PCM layer of SACD disc.

With computer you can play DSD files previusly extracted and decoded from SACD disc with modified PS3.

I was played DSD files with Foobar without problems. Never tried it with JRiver.

Regards

You maybe right about that. From the Jriver wiki. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD#Ripping_from_SACD

Ripping from SACD
This can't be done with a normal PC. It is possible using an original Sony PS3. Here's a thread at ComputerAudiophile

However there maybe other exceptions to this but this is what my Amanero board is reporting through my dell Win 7/64 PC when playing an SACD.

Attachments

• LCD_Amanero.gif
    LCD_Amanero.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 519
Hi David,
Just clarifying- are you actually playing a physical SACD disc in the PC optical drive?
Or ripping a SACD via the PC?
If yes to either case then smanz explanation is spot on - you will never get DSD playback mode.
I've now tried a five or six different different SACD image files & they all play fine in DSD 64 mode. I'm guessing they were all ripped by the modified PS3 method.
Even the digital output from a SACD player is always PCM only.

Hi David,
Just clarifying- are you actually playing a physical SACD disc in the PC optical drive?
Or ripping a SACD via the PC?
If yes to either case then smanz explanation is spot on - you will never get DSD playback mode.
I've now tried a five or six different different SACD image files & they all play fine in DSD 64 mode. I'm guessing they were all ripped by the modified PS3 method.
Even the digital output from a SACD player is always PCM only.

Thanks clay, that explains the inconsistencies.

regards
david

Has anyone had any luck playing back DSD512 recordings ? I'm getting a consistent hissing that cycles every 2 seconds on one channel only. Other channel is perfect. I've tried different recording and I get the same result. I could have sworn it was not there until I flashed the CPLD and CPU but the problem is I don't really know which versions the board came programmed with ?

cheers
david

Are you using Windows? It should work with original firmware. In Linux last experimental firmware is not capable yet of DSD512(speed and tone wrong). A new 1099_rc3 should be published in a few days.

I have a sample DSD512 here
http://www.tophifi.it/ftp/packages/Amanero/out.dsf
made with the new sox-dsd linux command line converter from a 44.1 file

Thanks I will give it a whirl. Basically I did a similar conversion on Windows from 192K PCM but it doesn't hurt to make sure. I am decoding DSD in hardware so I am trying to ascertain whether it is the hardware or what is coming out of the Amanero board or possibly Jriver itself.

If I send the good channel to both channels of the decoder it works correctly. However if I send the other dodgy channel to both channels of the decoder then the problem is revealed in both channels.

cheers
david

I am trying to get i2c control of an ak4490 dac with this module but am not successful. Can somebody please confirm whether the Amanero uses 7 or 8 bit i2c address. Anybody who has managed to successfully control an ak4490 dac, can you please give some tips to help me determine where I am going wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried Amanero with those boards. It works but it is not a good idea because it makes a lot of "plops" and "pops". Use the diyinHK board with vol control. That 4490 dac board also sounds very good with XMOS,. For my surprise, I did not feel the need of amanero, and I can say I am an amanero fan...
Anyway, if you want, I will send you a drawing with the connections. Did this answer help you? Feel free to ask.