USB cable quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear marce, it is good if you can measure cables like you said, but you should focus on how it sounds, that is what matters, right? If a cable measure "perfectly" but you do not think it sounds very good, what is the point?

We are talking about a digital cable, transmitting digital signals, if they transmit the digital information then they work, if they don't then you will no, there will be NO subtle changes to the sound there will be drop outs and glitches.

Then I prefer my ears to that "wrong measurement method". And even if you find the right one, how do you know it is the right one?

How to measure digital signal transmission is well know, as is measuring any noise you get from the PC. Without measurements you have no idea of what is happening so cannot engineer a solution to any problems you may have or perceive.
If the problem is noise you will only know by measurement, otherwise it is just speculation.
If it is a problem with the digital signal transmission (you will know) you don't bet subtle changes, you get clicks and drop-outs...
Your ears are of no real use in deciphering whether a digital interface is working correctly (though in the case of noise they may give some indication) but without some sort of measurement you do not know what is going on and thus cannot fix it...

I agree that measuring aspects of the cable can give you answers, but all the cables I had for test had no drop outs or glitches, they just did not sound exactly the same. If you measure them I am sure you find they measure somewhat different. But my ears decide which cable I will use.

I agree that measuring aspects of the cable can give you answers, but all the cables I had for test had no drop outs or glitches, they just did not sound exactly the same. If you measure them I am sure you find they measure somewhat different. But my ears decide which cable I will use.

You are in need of doing a blind-test on the cables to realize that they do sound the same. Because they do.

One thing of note: sending 1 and 0 via USB cable streaming audio, the signal is STILL ANALOUGE, it is an analouge representation of a 1 and 0.

Yes. So?
You didn't answer my question. Let me rephrase:
So are you saying that the pictures of a Digital Camera will appear to be different when transferred to the computer depending on the cable, because the digital information is carried out by an analog waveform?

I wouldn't use ABX.
For example, you could do a test as follows:

Test 1:
Switch between two cables.

Test 2:
Switch between two cables.

These tests should be done a number of times.
When the results are collected, information will be presented revealing which of the two tests didn't change the cable (it was just unplugged and plugged back in). Of course, between each round, the selection of which test is fake is randomized.

After that, it's just a matter of doing statistical analysis of the (random) answers.

Actually.. ABX should be enough, if the same statistical analysis is done. That is, being performed multiple times. It's just that ABX is more difficult because it might be hard to "remember" differences. Switching between two back and forth is easier from that sense.

Ok I give up. They all sound the same and I am am wrong hearing things that does not exist.

Why would you give up? :(
First you make a statement without elaborating.
Then I give a counter-example, and instead of responding you say that digital is actually analog.
Then I give a clarified counter-example, and you won't respond to that either? :(

And when it comes to hearing things that do not exist - we all do.
The McGurk effect - YouTube
Look at this guy repeatedly until you're sure what he says.
Then close your eyes.
Then look at the guy again.

When looking, you hear what your brain wants to hear, regardless of what you want to hear.

One thing of note: sending 1 and 0 via USB cable streaming audio, the signal is STILL ANALOUGE, it is an analouge representation of a 1 and 0.

Yawn, no its digital signal transmission, don't kid yerself, this is such a boring reply. Its DIGITAL signal transmission, how is it analogue, have you ever been involved in the design of digital systems and getting a digital signal from a to b.

Late night reding of cable threads can be cheap and fun entertainment.....
This one has long since crossed the borderline of hilarious.......
Either your 1s and 0s are getting through, -- or they don't... that's the true nature of digital........
I can possibly see that grounding related noise may transfer over from a PC, but islolating grounds in a digital setup is a fairly trivial matter.... go differential... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.