Upgrade for NE5532

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For audio? No, it is not. No kidding. As a stand alone it is but if you can get better sound with more parts, why not, that is exactly what you have to do.

To make a good amp we don't pick one best single transistor. We choose the right transistor for the right position.

NE5534 is an all-rounder. If your chain is 10K pot >> Opamp >> 10k amplifier, NE5534 is probably one of the best. But we can do better than that stupid chain. We can use JFET-input opamp buffer before the main opamp. Or BF862 JFET buffer. Then another buffer at the output if the main opamp cannot drive low impedance load as good as NE5534.

In the above case, simpler (chain) is not better.

Interesting, you say that NE5534 is one of the best in a typical audio application. At the same time you deny that it is fantastic audio op amp. You are contradicting yourself here.

But since you are clearly a better engineer than I am, you can kindly explain, in what cases one would need your JFET buffers.

Interesting, you say that NE5534 is one of the best in a typical audio application. At the same time you deny that it is fantastic audio op amp. You are contradicting yourself here.

Not really a contradiction. A unicycle is a fantastic transporter. With only one wheel it can transport you over long distances. It is when you use it to go everywhere I start to see it as a stupid vehicle.

When we use dale resistors or use Scan-Speak drivers, we don't care with $10 difference, now why we care with $1 and use cheap opamp thinking that it will not ruin the sound? Opamps have had good reputation for bad sound. Which opamp is do you think responsible?

But since you are clearly a better engineer than I am, you can kindly explain, in what cases one would need your JFET buffers.

The strength of a JFET is it's inherent high impedance, low noise (including protect the circuit from interference) and DC operation (you can avoid capacitor in the input).

When you read spec-sheet, the single spec number is based on certain operating point. For example distortion is a function of gain and impedances (input and output). If you lower the impedances, the distortion will be less.

Check JRC2068 spec-sheet. Operate it in its best zone and it will outperform NE5532 soundwise. JRC2068's THD of 0.001% is near the hearing threshold. There is no proof that 0.000005% sounds better or audible. And it's 6 V/us slew rate at around +/-15V output swing is also above the 3.9 threshold. It's input noise is of course above hearing threshold, but it depends on the acceptable noise level of your audio system. That's why we need the JFET. BF862 is very low noise (and high current drive too).

Opamp speed is mostly a liability in design. It affects our hearing in a simple way no one will agree :)

NOTE: The image is to show that specification changes with operating point. It is not from opamps mentioned in discussion.

Attachments

• opampspecs.png
    opampspecs.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:
Not really a contradiction. A unicycle is a fantastic transporter. With only one wheel it can transport you over long distances. It is when you use it to go everywhere I start to see it as a stupid vehicle.

When we use dale resistors or use Scan-Speak drivers, we don't care with $10 difference, now why we care with $1 and use cheap opamp thinking that it will not ruin the sound? Opamps have had good reputation for bad sound. Which opamp is do you think responsible?

The strength of a JFET is it's inherent high impedance, low noise (including protect the circuit from interference) and DC operation (you can avoid capacitor in the input).

When you read spec-sheet, the single spec number is based on certain operating point. For example distortion is a function of gain and impedances (input and output). If you lower the impedances, the distortion will be less.

Check JRC2068 spec-sheet. Operate it in its best zone and it will outperform NE5532 soundwise. JRC2068's THD of 0.001% is near the hearing threshold. There is no proof that 0.000005% sounds better or audible. And it's 6 V/us slew rate at around +/-15V output swing is also above the 3.9 threshold. It's input noise is of course above hearing threshold, but it depends on the acceptable noise level of your audio system. That's why we need the JFET. BF862 is very low noise (and high current drive too).

Opamp speed is mostly a liability in design. It affects our hearing in a simple way no one will agree :)

NOTE: The image is to show that specification changes with operating point. It is not from opamps mentioned in discussion.

Well, I will not waste my time to convince you into anything (nobody on any internet forum has ever convinced anyone -- that is the iron law of internet).

But there is a guy who knows a thing or two about op amps and according to him you are about 33% right with your strong preference for JFETs.

NwAvGuy: Op Amp Measurements

Below he also answers the OP who wanted to replace NE5534/32 with some ghastly high speed video op amp.

NwAvGuy: Op Amps: Myths & Facts

I love the statement from the NwAv guy:
"The 5532 is the corner stone of nearly all high-end professional audio gear which means most of your music has already been well steeped in 5532 goodness. If you dislike the “sound” of 5532 that means you must also dislike most of the music available."

It has been a couple more years, so digging up this thread.
For a drop in replacement, ( in this case a crossover) unity gain, no excessive drive problems, is the OPA2134 still the go-to? They sure ain't cheap but no SMT to DIP headers etc.

Well aware 99% of all my CDs went through dozens of 5532's, or worse. Most probably not even biased into class A.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.