Upgrade for NE5532

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The engineers at National Semiconductor designed the NE5532 for ultra low noise application with a slew rate (5 V/µs) which is much improved over the then standard 741 family of opamp. That makes NE5532 very good for low cost phono amp, but not necessarily everything.

Nelson Pass had a very insightful interview on the subject slew rate on Stereophile where he concluded that a slew rate of 50V/µs is sufficient for audio applications.

1. It was not National Semiconductors.

2. The slew rate depends on the overall level of the signal, doesn't it? You appear to be are forgetting that NE5534 is used in preamps and small amps, where its slew rate is more that sufficient. If you follow the preamp with a 20dB gain power amp, all you need is a 5V/us op amp chip -- even if you take the extreme slew rate from the Nelson Pass statement. The sufficiency of the NE534 for all audio applications follows directly from your quote.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
1. It was not National Semiconductors.

2. The slew rate depends on the overall level of the signal, doesn't it? You appear to be are forgetting that NE5534 is used in preamps and small amps, where its slew rate is more that sufficient. If you follow the preamp with a 20dB gain power amp, all you need is a 5V/us op amp chip -- even if you take the extreme slew rate from the Nelson Pass statement. The sufficiency of the NE534 for all audio applications follows directly from your quote.
Yes, that is was Jan Didden wrote in #38.
All in all I agree that there is very little that could be improved compared to NE5532.
And yes, there is something: rf-noise immunity is worse compared to op-amps with FET-inputs.
But swapping for higher slewrate is a waste of money.

Yes, that is was Jan Didden wrote in #38.
All in all I agree that there is very little that could be improved compared to NE5532.
And yes, there is something: rf-noise immunity is worse compared to op-amps with FET-inputs.
But swapping for higher slewrate is a waste of money.

Bro, I agree with everything you say. I use NE5534/32 exclusively in my audio projects.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When did signetics and philips join up? was it 1975?
When did signetics bring out the NE5534?
I think it was 1979, or a bit earlier.

I don't know exactly but it started as the TDA1034 from Philips. Then with the acquisition of Signetics it changed to NE5534.

I also have a few Fairchild SE5534's and even some milspec Raytheon RJ5534's

Jan

I had forgotten about the TDA1034
Here's what I found:

Attachments

• history TDA1034 and NE5534.jpg
    history TDA1034 and NE5534.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 689
Most HiFi problem were solved in the 80s, late 70s. Since then many HiFi components get worse because manufacturers lost their know how (layoffs). Hifi is no business case anymore.

I don't know how to prove that components are getting worse, have not been in the hobby long enough. I guess you have more experience and can compare different vintages of audio chips, transistors etc.

But since the problem of HiFi was solved decades ago, it is rational for manufacturers to move resources to other areas and keep manufacturing trusted old audio designs. Big improvements over old audio solutions would be extremely expensive and not worth it, since the good older designs are already transparent.

On a different note -- what makes me sad at the present moment, is the movement away from HiFi by many "artisanal" shops, who push for higher distortion, "tube sound" etc. That is not high fidelity.

I assume that you are kidding. NE3354 is a fantastic chip.

For audio? No, it is not. No kidding. As a stand alone it is but if you can get better sound with more parts, why not, that is exactly what you have to do.

To make a good amp we don't pick one best single transistor. We choose the right transistor for the right position.

NE5534 is an all-rounder. If your chain is 10K pot >> Opamp >> 10k amplifier, NE5534 is probably one of the best. But we can do better than that stupid chain. We can use JFET-input opamp buffer before the main opamp. Or BF862 JFET buffer. Then another buffer at the output if the main opamp cannot drive low impedance load as good as NE5534.

In the above case, simpler (chain) is not better.

As I recall, the TDA1034 came out in September of 1977; it was used in the Neve mixing consoles of the time and was a game-changer---it gave state-of-the-art performance in an easier-to-use/less expensive format than the discrete solutions of the day (such as A.P.I.'s 2520 and the Quad Eight designs). It (in its present-day format of the NE5534) has remained at the top of audio quality ever since. It is the best $1 opamp you can get! Sure, there are opamps that perform better spec-wise---the LM4562/LME49720 is the best PDIP-8 available, only surpassed in the bipolar world by the SOIC-only OPA1612. For higher-impedance applications, the FETS rule (the PDIP-8 OPA2134 and the SOIC OPA1642).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.