Unpopular music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ouroboros said:

They're mainstream!

I wouldn't say the Cocteau Twins are 'mainstream' but they were certainly very popular in the 80s/90s. This Mortal Coil and some other bands became quite popular largely due to their record label - 4AD - which always did fantastic artwork for the covers. The Pixies and the Breeders were both on 4AD (both HUGE bands).
phn said:
"Stephany Says" on the Velvet Underground VU album.

Hey! That's a fantastic song! :D My daughter is named after that song (and it's 'Stephanie Says')

Anybody remember The Colorblind James Experience (Considering a Move to Memphis)? That's an obscure 80s classic.

edit: I suppose it depends where you're from. EG: Nena is considered a fairly obscure one-hit-wonder in the UK (for 99 Red Balloons) but is/was a major artist in Germany.

Try Panzerchrist - Roomservice. har enough to make your ears bleed

Well, Big Black are hard enough for me. Not there is such a thing as enough of a good thing. But I don't think of Einstürtzende Neubauten in terms of hard or whatever. They challenge the very concept of music, the way Wagner and Beethoven did, and in turn the listener.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Roxette, A-Ha and Thompson Twins... is it really "unpopular" music when it was so popular in it's heyday? I still can't listen to the Thompson Twins "Into the Gap" album. Back in '83 I'd put it on my turntable on repeat while me and my girlfriend ahem... "got busy", as it were. :D Horrible album, though, despite fond memories. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say the Cocteau Twins are 'mainstream' but they were certainly very popular in the 80s/90s. This Mortal Coil and some other bands became quite popular largely due to their record label - 4AD - which always did fantastic artwork for the covers. The Pixies and the Breeders were both on 4AD (both HUGE bands).

I like pretty much anything on the 4AD label. Everything about the label was top notch - the artists, the artwork and the vinyl pressings were of the highest quality. Several artists mentioned in this thread got their start or did stints with 4AD - Though This Mortal Coil really wasn't a band, it was more of a vanity project for Ivo, doing covers of old songs. I like Heidi Berry, even if she does sound exactly like Joni Mitchell.

If you want cheesy guilty pleasure music from the 80's, lets see... Real Life (from Australia), Berlin, Visage, A Flock of Seagulls... Oh, and how could I forget - Alphaville.

:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.