Unpopular music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I just wonder if I'm the only person that listens to Roxette. When my friends find out they usually laugh. At least they haven't seen my Aznavour CDs... :eek:

(I was born in 1980 so I've heard lots of such music in my childhood, which maybe explains why it's found a place in my collection)

I must confess I have a few Roxette CD's but they are also swedes so it is perhaps less embarrasing.

Did you know the band Gyllene Tider formed by Per Gessle did tour the summer 2004 and almost 500000 saw they in Sweden! They got equally much audioance as Pink Floyd, Stones, Bowie etc. They filled the football/soccer arena Ullevi in Göteborg with over 50000 people.

Maybe I'm missing something. But Roxette isn't exactly what I think of when I think unpopular music. It's the very definition of popular music. It was tailored for the FM stations. In Roxette's case, I'm pretty sure it was tailored specifically for the American market. (The European FM stations used to be better than the American ones, but are virtually indistinguishable today.) It was designed not to be different than anything else playing. It was designed not to rock the boat. It was designed to be mucus.

Roxette made more money on one album than most jazz artists do in a lifetime. So, yes, I would most definitively call jazz unpopular music. And had it not been for Europe, jazz artists the world over would have been in the poorhouse. Of course, if you want really unpopular music, try something like Einstürzende Neubauten.

Sorry for going on a rant here.

perhaps less embarrasing

You wish. ;)

What popular/crappy songs does/did Roxette have?

Try "Joyride."

And A-Ha is Norwegian.

phn said:
"Joyride."

Ropie said:
...Doctor, Doctor

Joules said:
"She's got the look"

Oh yes, I've heard those. They're all very bad.

My friends all laugh at them when they hear what I listen to. I believe other than constant laughing, the latest comment I can recall was when I was listening to The Best of Nina Simon and my friend said "do you kill people?" I think he said that because in movies it's popular for serial killers to listen to that type of music.

Others that get laughs are Nora Jones, Jack Johnson, Damien Rice, Gillian Welch, Nelly Furtado, No Doubt, can't think of anymore. Oh yes, if you want them to pee themselves, find the kyaal remix of Destiny's Child "Loose My Breath." Even my girlfriend makes fun of me when I play that song.

Wow, I love Einsturzende Neubauten! Best live show ever, they were pounding on giant brass vats and grinding pieces of metal :)
Good call on Status Quo, I never heard of them till I was in Europe and even then it was sort of a joke. I like a few songs.

If Neubauten is obscure, what about the Cocteau Twins?

I worked in a record store for two years back in the late 1980s. It's a good store with very knowledgeable owners. Anyway, being located near a high school we had quite a few customers from there. Some of them all dressed in black were into Laibach and stuff. But if my memory serves me, I think Cocteau Twins had a bigger following than Einstürtzende Neubauten. But then, so had Foetus and other Thirlwell stuff. Heck, even junk like the Revolting ***** seemed to have a larger following than the great German band. (I guess that's cheating with such a great name and all.) I kind of dug Big Black. Now, THAT is heavy. But I couldn't convince the black crowd. Most of them were Depeche Mode wimps anyway. And cheap. ;) They would listen for hours but rarely buy anything. "Can you put on track two on this?" ("Stephany Says" on the Velvet Underground VU album.) The hard rock/heavy metal crowd I liked, despite not sharing their taste in music (unless we talk Ozzy Black Sabbath, Motor Head, and such classics). Dedicated and knowledgeable and often a lot more open-minded. At least as far as music goes.

Having that said, no record collection is complete without some early Einstürtzende Neubauten, like Halber Mensch or the collection Strategies Against Architecture, Volume 1. Hard to find better antidote to the usual MTV jingles than those.

Jimmy154 said:

Oh yes, I've heard those. They're all very bad.

My friends all laugh at them when they hear what I listen to. I believe other than constant laughing, the latest comment I can recall was when I was listening to The Best of Nina Simon and my friend said "do you kill people?" I think he said that because in movies it's popular for serial killers to listen to that type of music.

Others that get laughs are Nora Jones, Jack Johnson, Damien Rice, Gillian Welch, Nelly Furtado, No Doubt, can't think of anymore. Oh yes, if you want them to pee themselves, find the kyaal remix of Destiny's Child "Loose My Breath." Even my girlfriend makes fun of me when I play that song.

Nora Jones? if i remember correctly, thats fairly good music, isn't it? she has a good voice.

TB said:
What about.... SLADE or Status Quo ?

Status Quo's cool! they played here a few years ago, belive i was quite drunk that night.

phn said:

Having that said, no record collection is complete without some early Einstürtzende Neubauten, like Halber Mensch or the collection Strategies Against Architecture, Volume 1. Hard to find better antidote to the usual MTV jingles than those.

Try Panzerchrist - Roomservice. har enough to make your ears bleed ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.