Universe vs Solar System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
He might have a point though. This thread's topic and OP do not match
"Everything Else: Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc)"

This entire "Universe vs Solar System" thread probably fits better in the
Lounge. Perhaps merged with "What is the universe expanding into?"

Last edited:
Hi,

I don't talk crap about no-one is right so anyone can be.

It is science to take exception to some-one talking total crap.

I'm well informed, enough to conjecture, but not pontificate.

rgds, sreten.

I'm not going to pointlessly correct you misunderstandings of Newton.
They are so wrong in a boring way that is not interesting to discuss.

You have been trolled.:eek:

perhaps I missed the point. It seemed like the original comparison was apples to oranges, so I proposed another similar comparison.

One might look at things like we are such a tiny part of the universe, or we can look at it like we are such a small element, yet we can study and understand things that are billions of light years in size. Not unlike a bacterium in a laboratory studying the university in which it's lab sits, or the whole world in which it dwells, or even, well, the universe. Except we can do it, and Mr.Bacterium cannot.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
How we like counting things. We'll never get bored of counting things, so it appears. Counting and measuring. Is this a sexual obsession? In origin, I mean. Anyhow, when I start thinking about the extension of the universe all I get is a vague nausea. Am I the only one?

I just love how a click or two away from the mundane routinely found here can take you to something like this:

A Calabi–Yau manifold, also known as a Calabi–Yau space, is a special type of manifold that is described in certain branches of mathematics such as algebraic geometry. The Calabi–Yau manifold's properties, such as Ricci flatness, also yield applications in theoretical physics. Particularly in superstring theory, the extra dimensions of spacetime are sometimes conjectured to take the form of a 6-dimensional Calabi–Yau manifold, which led to the idea of mirror symmetry.
Calabi–Yau manifolds are complex manifolds that are higher-dimensional analogues of K3 surfaces. They are sometimes defined as compact Kähler manifolds whose canonical bundle is trivial, though many other similar but inequivalent definitions are sometimes used. They were named "Calabi–Yau spaces" by Candelas et al. (1985) after E. Calabi (1954, 1957) who first studied them, and S. T. Yau (1978) who proved the Calabi conjecture that they have Ricci flat metrics.

300px-Calabi-Yau.png

then there's this conjecture:

900px-CMB_Timeline300_no_WMAP.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.