UNIO a minimalist I/V converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, my Class A power amps have rather low gain and a 10kOhm input impedance.
I found also that a preamp with a bit too much gain sounds better. I do not know why though. Also because i listen to vinyl most of the time ( i hope your forthcoming DA converter persuades my more into digital ) there can be very short, high energy pulses because of dirt and scratches. 6V RMS maximum output with low distortion would be good.

UNIO HV

As promised, the preamplifier for Joachim Gerhard.

It uses a circuit (Q7,Q8) that keep the voltage drain source of the input jfet at a constant level to minimize distortion due to early effect.

without this circuit the distortion for input voltages of 0.2v pp, 1v pp, and 2v pp are:

0.0013% 0.0074% 0.019%.

with Q7,Q8 the distortions are:

0.000017% 0.00038% 0.0017%.

This circuit was never test in a real circuit and i never see a circuit like this before, so it has to be build a prototype to see if it works in real life. In simulation it seems stable

Attachments

• UNIO_HV.PNG
    UNIO_HV.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 121
I know this lateral mosfet very well. And I have some pairs, I will try with them as they have low drain gate capacitance. But I was thinking in a vertical mosfet. Nelson pass uses irf610 a lot.
Normally I use mosfet in power switching, and in last years the vertical mosfet are getting very good. But I don't know if they are any good in low level linear circuits. I have to try :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.