Ultra Low Cost Amp Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still working to optimize my low cost design, actually now i am down to only 4$ in parts including the price for a small PCB.

The specs of this new design are:
50W in 8 Ohms
100W in 4 Ohms
DC - 100.000 Hz (new feature).
Higher efficiency.
15 - 40V supply range plus and minus.

Approximately 1 by 1 inch. Will post schematics soon ... :)

If there is any interest, i will make a PCB layout and post it here for everyone to use.

Which format should a layout like this be published in?

Can you DIY mount SMD parts or is this a nono?

Hi Lars,

I would be interested in a PCB layout :cool: .. But how are you gonna get the pars for just 4$ .. just one IRF540 cost more than that, or is my supplier way toooo expensive? I'l take a look at digikey. The SMD parts is OK.. it alloys the PCB to be small, allthough my looking electronic shop doesn't carry any SMD parts. Maybe digikey does..

Greetings,
Thijs

I think to keep the price down, it would be beneficial if somebody made a component kit. This way you can save the hazzle of going from store to store finduing the right parts, and also get a good quantum discount.

If no factory assembly work is required it can be put together for around 4 $.

An IRF540 is no longer used, but a IRF530N cost just around 50 c in quantities. The counterpart IRF 9530 (without the N) cost also 50 c.

Lars Clausen said:
Still working to optimize my low cost design, actually now i am down to only 4$ in parts including the price for a small PCB.

50W in 8 Ohms
100W in 4 Ohms
Higher efficiency.

If there is any interest, i will make a PCB layout and post it here for everyone to use.

1 x 1" Cool but is there any room for a descent driver? Power transistors?

Pdf and Gerber is good.

SOT23 and 0805 is the limit for most people I think.

Still, I think you should consider what resistors, transistors cost compared to possible performance. These parts are cheap, no need to make it too simple (bad).

I'm interested in what you can come up with. :nod:

I think it's smart that you have these files at your/some website which you have control over. Upload here to a post isn't so flexible :no:

Lars Clausen said:

50W in 8 Ohms
100W in 4 Ohms
Higher efficiency.

Small is nice but I feel sometimes that things get to be too small. I prefer if the board is big enough for mounting holes and connection points that are not spaced 0.1 mm apart. If one could get a board that is a bit bigger than 1" by 1" say 1.5" by 2" then it would be a breeze to fasten say 8 pieces of that in a box and make a really nice and clean install without risking to ruin every board by cable force.

So here is the (not-yet-optimised) PCB for the ULCA.

Only 1206 size SMD's are used, for ease of assembly, so the PCB measures 44 by 44 mm (1.7 by 1.7 inch).

As you may be able to see i have modified a number of features in this amp, and added some more small signal transistors to improve performance. (As they are not so expensive anyway).

The price can still be kept as low as 4-5$ including the PCB.

Just to recap, it is not a product of me or my company, just a proposal for a fun DIY project. Anyone can make and sell these PCB's as they wish, and i will also post Gerber files after a little cosmetics work. And of course the new schematic.

All the best from

Lars Clausen

Attachments

• ulca2.zip
    73.6 KB · Views: 212
Updated Schematic

You can download a better graphic version here:

http://www.lcaudio.dk/ulca2.gif

Copy freely, comment, modify, and most importantly: Have fun!

Attachments

• ulca2s.gif
    ulca2s.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 743
Lars Clausen said:
Updated Schematic

You can download a better graphic version here:

http://www.lcaudio.dk/ulca2.gif

Copy freely, comment, modify, and most importantly: Have fun!

Hi lars!, are you not afraid of signal modulation of T15 through R24?

Also i think you are running the emitterfollowers a bit low in current. I think you will gain a little (phase margin) by raising the current through them. But thats my opinion. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.