• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ultra high precision Volume module like Mark Levinsion's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FEMALE-BOARD designed for AP TEST only

RMAA pre-test result, green line is the equivalent THD line and the white is the test result of R-2R MODULE ^_^

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 739
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 735
  • thd.png
    thd.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 713
FEMALE-BOARD designed for AP TEST only

RMAA pre-test result, green line is the equivalent THD line and the white is the test result of R-2R MODULE ^_^

Looks good, Are you able to hear any or see any thing on your scope when changing volume level ? ( ticking or poping )

J'

There's a way to use only the volume control (stereo) without display and a rotative manual control?

Yes, the display is optional, when you need it
the MCU part is just a prototype design this moment, it still needs modify and run fully test

I test the performance of hearing/sound quality, the sound is clearity,not any pot clik happen when I change the volume status

I will send this module for a AP test today or tomorrow

Just another Chinese clone to rip off another company!

Why do you saying this ?
just for the reason that I don't share the information of this project with you?

using DAC structure to bulid VOLUME attenuator, as I see, studer from switzerland uses AD7528 in their product A730 CD PLAYER, and Mark Levinsion uses LT1590 in their No.390s in over 20 years time ? can you say Mark clone Studer‘s product/idea? Boulder from Canada bulid their 24 bit-resolution attenuator in their preamplifier 2010, which earlier than Mark Levinson No.32 16-bit resolution, how can you say ?

diyaudio is a place for audiophiles discuss audio things but not for nation discrepancy

Why do you saying this ?
just for the reason that I don't share the information of this project with you?

using DAC structure to bulid VOLUME attenuator, as I see, studer from switzerland uses AD7528 in their product A730 CD PLAYER, and Mark Levinsion uses LT1590 in their No.390s in over 20 years time ? can you say Mark clone Studer‘s product/idea? Boulder from Canada bulid their 24 bit-resolution attenuator in their preamplifier 2010, which earlier than Mark Levinson No.32 16-bit resolution, how can you say ?

diyaudio is a place for audiophiles discuss audio things but not for nation discrepancy

The fact that you are trying to make something VERY VERY CLOSE to mark levinsion's equipment is a close type of clone, i see it clearly now, you are making something close to his design then you will mass produce it for HIGH dollar value then put in the description and say better or close to his design, when in fact your just making something like his to make money.!

You already told us prices, those prices are ridicules, WAY OUT TO LUNCH!

I see it so much! AND ITS TRUE!!

The fact that you are trying to make something VERY VERY CLOSE to mark levinsion's equipment is a close type of clone, i see it clearly now, you are making something close to his design then you will mass produce it for HIGH dollar value then put in the description and say better or close to his design, when in fact your just making something like his to make money.!

OK, the GB is closed now, please apologize to me ^_^

I was finding it interesting, so please keep going and don't stop because someone has a hissy fit especially after the initial interest and comments. I think you priced it out of his range and he got annoyed.

For the number of components involved and the amount of soldering, I don't think it is unreasonably priced. And I am very unlikely to buy one as I have my own design and controller already well developed using a different topology, but ideas and details of implementations I keep notes of as I don't know what I might want to make in the future.

Mark Levinson has simply rebadged modestly priced Chinese components in the past with a huge mark up, so he is no one to talk.
As far as I can see this is an old topology, simply a discrete R-2R ladder.

I was finding it interesting, so please keep going and don't stop because someone has a hissy fit especially after the initial interest and comments. I think you priced it out of his range and he got annoyed.

For the number of components involved and the amount of soldering, I don't think it is unreasonably priced. And I am very unlikely to buy one as I have my own design and controller already well developed using a different topology, but ideas and details of implementations I keep notes of as I don't know what I might want to make in the future.

Mark Levinson has simply rebadged modestly priced Chinese components in the past with a huge mark up, so he is no one to talk.
As far as I can see this is an old topology, simply a discrete R-2R ladder.

Yeah, it is a R-2R ladder with 2K0/4K02 resistors, I was about to make a 24-bits resolution R-2R ladder in last month, but I find the PCB's too large even I start the project with 4-layers board.
16-bits R-2R ladder will provide a max attenuation of 96.33dB, 24-bits will give a 144dB attenuation ! I think 144dB is a ullllllltra-high dynamic that we do not need such a precision contorl actually ^_^
after I finish the LAYOUT and soldering, the board was send for AP test.
From the measurement mark, I know that this module is something useable in my DIY project,because the mark is better than PGA2310PA from TI, which single chip was used in many HI-END equipments.

I was doubt that if the module can archive a close performance with PGA2310PA in the days I didn't get the measurement result, considering the PCB is a 55mm*145mm 'huge' guy and PGA2310 is only a single chip. more area of the PCB, more noise atactive/senstive.

Really? How much does ML charge for his products? Does ML sell volume control module to DIY community? :confused:

Were is the problem? :confused:

BBP, I would disregard Jleaman's posts he has always shown a lack of tack and is prone to mudslinging. However in the future it would be a good idea not to refer to a manufactures name as this tends to make people think you are using thier name to promote your design. As far as price it is what it is. If I were interested in it and can afford it whats the big deal. Your past offerings have been good price/ value offerings, no one is getting rich here.

Bill

International patent laws only protect an idea for 20 years. After 20 years anyone can freely copy for any reason. That's the reason you can buy generic drugs in the farmacy, a copy machine or laser printer from anyone, etc. And you are protected only if you apply for a patent. As everyone can see, no one complains that a generic drug is a copy of some formula that some company developed at cost of millions of dollars.

Without a patent, once you publish your design, then it basically public domain knowledge. That is how the world progresses by building on top of other each others ideas.

Note that this is different from copyright which has a much longer term but that's only because companies like Disney keep pushing the term up and getting it approved by the government everytime it is near expiration

Last edited:
he probably wanted it for his HOT ROD digital behringer crossover, for which he spent 1500 usd on mods alone already , cant justify spending more on mere attenuators :p

I would never use one of those!

I predict that this project to be on ebay in a few weeks selling! IN CHINA! :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.