Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green

• I can not decide

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Strongly disagree. If you're trying to determine whether a particular listener (or, in this case, a particular subset of the listener universe) can hear the difference between two stimuli, it absolutely doesn't matter if the listener knows that (for example) the comparison is between gold wire and silver wire as long as there is double blind control to ensure no non-auditory cues. Same thing for A/B preference testing- if there's just two stimuli, A and B, it doesn't matter if people know that one is gold and one is silver, it only matters that they not know that A is gold and B is silver. Or in a triangle test, that there's gold and silver, but no knowledge of which is which.
Stuart, IMnotsoLE, I have to disagree.

An important finding over nearly 2 decades of doing these tests is that 'trying to guess which is which' is fatal. All my very best true golden pinnae do worse (less consistent & reliable) if they 'know' what is being tested.

They describe their feelings when they are most discriminative as being almost Zen like ... letting the Force guide them and paying almost no attention to 'logical' factors. eg dis presentation sounds fast so gotta be da OPA with zillion V/us slew ..

Excuse this New Age BS .. but that's what they tell me .. and that's my own experience too :)

Thanks to Wayne & Kudos to Einstein ..

Last edited:
I would agree here that technical details or what is tested should not be disclosed before or during the poll.

I have also confirmed (for myself) how important is amplitude matching. I made for me very similar test (almost same) like the current one, but with amplitudes differing in 0.5dB. With such amplitude difference between recorded files, I got 100% in ABX foobar test ....

Attachments

• abx_green_violet.PNG
    abx_green_violet.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 137
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK guys, I suggest we shall be collecting votes until Sunday night. I will put a question on Sunday if there is anyone remaining who would intend to vote. Then, after we close the poll, I would ask you to describe your listening impressions and after that you will get full technical disclosure.

To coin a well known phrase... "that sounds like a plan" :D

I think for us to describe what we hear after the vote is closed would be very interesting.

Excuse this New Age BS .. but that's what they tell me .. and that's my own experience too :)

My own experience has been that there's a positive effect (or no effect), since the listener can know not to worry about (say) bass response when the stimulus is a change in the tweeter. I haven't seen any literature to indicate otherwise.

Pavel is 100% correct about the importance of level matching. One does not perceive small level differences as such.

An important finding over nearly 2 decades of doing these tests is that 'trying to guess which is which' is fatal. All my very best true golden pinnae do worse (less consistent & reliable) if they 'know' what is being tested.

They describe their feelings when they are most discriminative as being almost Zen like ... letting the Force guide them and paying almost no attention to 'logical' factors. eg dis presentation sounds fast so gotta be da OPA with zillion V/us slew ..

Excuse this New Age BS .. but that's what they tell me .. and that's my own experience too :)..

True. I just knew this after the previous test. Before the test I disagreed. I also posted my blind test result on the other thread. It surprised me that the blind impression was so honest and clear. Learning from that, I did my second test without paying attention to details :))

I have been misunderstood because my comments were based on the situation where everything has been disclosed and discussed. I'm too fast. Let's see if we can see many strong disagreements later when somebody try to draw any conclusion from the result.

The main remaining objection, but I don't know how to get around this in a internet poll of WAV files, is that I have the listeners choose their own music/CDs. This gets around those who find the music badly recorded bla bla. Having the listener comfortable with the test and finding at least one 'presentation' sounds good is important.
Richard, I wouldn't go along with this. For me, I find hearing's ability to assess the relative far more accurately than the absolute to be very effective in grading - if I listen to something which is very 'atrocious', when a version is heard which is slightly less 'atrocious' then it stands out strongly. At least my hearing adapts very quickly to the 'quality' of what I'm hearing, it pushes the grading to somewhere nearer the middle the more I listen to it, so I then have room on either side to perceive a 'better' or 'worse'.

You mentioned the 'Zen state' in a following post, and I would agree with that - if I'm getting really serious in trying to pick something up aurally then what I'm "hearing" is no longer music, some instrument playing notes - it becomes a rhythm of noises, sounds - a pattern or texture of sine waves hitting my ear-drums, it has nothing to do with musicians entertaining me.

Last edited:

Jakob2, thanks for the link to ITU-R BS.1116. IMHO, this is a variation of my ABC test cos I was using this in the 80's for serious work ... not the other way round :)

Might be. :)
Afair this ITU-R was based on the method used from mid 80´s in audio compression development. You may have been involved or somebody got the basic idea from your input or it was a parallel independent invention.

As SY pointed out, the basis is a triangle test (for example, 3 samples, task is to sort the odd out, the other two are the same), the ranking task is a different one and the ITU-R puts the open reference into the game.

Jakob2, that first principle, that the listener is NEVER told what he is listening to, is so important that though ..

"numerous discussion in various thread about listening tests and what should be the first step is to establish a hypothesis ... that choose a test protocol"

.. are vital, the listeners are NEVER part of this discussion.

It depends on the goal of the test.
Obviously we do have similar observations with participants; as i´ve written a couple of times imho it is important for listeners to remain in a state of awareness to notice every possible difference if he does not know what to listen for.

On the other hand, as for example jj pointed out several times, if listeners are trained and know what effect is under test, they can achieve an incredible degree of sensitivity.

From the listener's viewpoint, my protocol is the simplest possible.

They are asked to rank their preference for each of the 3 'presentations' on a scale of 10 and add any comments they wish.

That's ALL they are told.

This very simple protocol evolved over nearly 2 decades of DBLT and has proved to be the most effective and least stressful both for true golden pinnae and the man/woman in the street.

I beg to differ; from my experience the A/B paired comparison method is easier for the participants as most of them are doing something like that anyway to decide between different options- not only wrt to audio.
But, the ABC does incorporate sort of a positive control and gives therefore useful information about the listeners participating in the test.

I think we have to consider that there is no "one size fits it all" approach possible.

Anyone know if Foobar ABX can be used to carry out ABC tests to BS.1116 ?

I don´t know about Foobar, but there is a tool based on java available:
RareWares

@ SY,

as said above, it depends on the hypothesis(es) under test.
At the RWTH in Aachen listeners were routinely taking tests without knowledge about the EUT, to keep expectation bias as low as possible.

Your tweeter example is a good one, as it illustrates the difficulties.
If the loudspeaker is for example a typical two way design, it might be that a different tweeter will nevertheless lead to a different perception of bass reproduction.

If listeners were told upfront that the EUT is the tweeter they might discard their different perception of the bass reproduction, because they could consider it as unlikely.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And sometimes you just need to let people know what it is, so that they will take the time to listen. E.G. my Mud vs Wires test or Mooly's opamp test. Since we aren't paying people to sit down and listen, we need some way to entice them. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.