Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green

• I can not decide

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With 2 files recorded through the same chain, just 5 days between the 2 recordings, Diffmaker is able to make a great job (even though the files are not sampled simultaneously), resulting in no audible sound. So this is my 'repeatability'.

You always stir the issue so you can give certain impression to the public. You're talking to me not to the public. I have been expecting to hear a song with a 1" speaker (mono) set to minimum level. And I have been expecting you to find error in the files you post. And now you make a conclusion to the public??

I have always been honest and direct. Do you want me to blind test your two files? Or just explain how the noise sound?? :confused:

With 2 files recorded through the same chain, just 5 days between the 2 recordings, Diffmaker is able to make a great job (even though the files are not sampled simultaneously), resulting in no audible sound. So this is my 'repeatability'.

(Remark, this spectrum has nothing in common with the 'orange' and 'kiwi' sound files).

The DAC and ADC are on the same master clock, right? I think this is the key to repeatability and good diffs.

Jay, the problem is in your current hardware. You MUST hear the sound from the files orange and kiwi (not necessarily difference) and MUST be able to describe it. In case you hear only noise or just nothing, your hardware/software is unable to replay 48kHz/24bit files properly and your sound impressions are thus useless to me.

Am I always correct with what I have said? My ability to blind test human intelligence and character far outperforms my ability to blind test sounds.

Is not this quite interesting? Bencmark DAC1 was unable to play signals below -67dBFS in a 16 bit mode during John Atkinson's test in Stereophile.

This was both unusual and unexpected, to say the least. If the Benchmark can correctly decode 24-bit data via a USB connection, it should also do so with 16-bit data. I repeated the analysis with tones at various levels, and it appeared that the output rapidly dropped to zero with a 16-bit sinewave at levels below –67dBFS.

Benchmark DAC1 USB D/A processor & headphone amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

We need to verify first and then judge.

BTW, I have received an absolutely correct answer from another member via PM what he heard from orange and kiwi.
Edit: second correct explanation through PM just arrived.

Last edited:
OK, enough. There is a -65dBFS signal at 1kHz in orange and kiwi files. Once recorded through 'blue' chain, second through 'green' chain. The channels in kiwi are swapped. In both 'orange' and 'kiwi' you must quite clearly hear the low level 1kHz tone, otherwise the system resolution is insufficient or total 20kHz band noise too high.

Attachments

• orange.PNG
    orange.PNG
    77.7 KB · Views: 103
  • kiwi.PNG
    kiwi.PNG
    78.2 KB · Views: 102
A 10 Second Appraisal....

How about heb1001 & Max Headroom?
Ok, as I stated earlier....
As I stated earlier, on my netbook 1/2"speakers I heard the difference in the two files within the first 10 or 12 seconds....all that I listened to.

To me the first (the bypass recording) sounded cleanish, not quite right, and uninvolving.
To me the second recording sounded 'fat', and 'blatty' , ie essentially distorted.

I can understand that participants voted for the 'coloured' version, but to me, neither recording is quite there.

Dan.
I could pick either for file for differing reasons.
Blue is relatively clean, very produced, but fundamentally unexciting.
Green sounds 'fat', emotive, sexy even, BUT to my ear there is too much masking (imd ?) and 'effecting', and this unrealism would soon drive me out of the room.

My vote would be for the 'blue' unadulterated version.

Dan.

That is OK. Orange and kiwi are both D/A - A/D, so analog noise is added. But everyone must hear the 1kHz base tone.

I still don't understand your point.

Are you trying to find out:
(1) can we hear the tone? If not then we are deaf, or
(2) the sound card is not good enough.

For number 1, I dont think anyone taking vote from all the polls cannot hear it.
Number 2, what kind of sound card do you think can not display such signal? The Realtek is surely hifi enough to show it even tho it is I think cheap.

So, do you still think that some soundcard will have issue. Yes you have posted that Realtek measurement but I couldn't see correlation or or even understand what you are up to with that

Originally Posted by PMA:

Nonsense. I have not been selling anything in audio for 2 years, except for PCB boards for OPEN phono preamp project several month ago. I make living in another branch then audio.

I was expecting such reasoning. This preamp is not for sale, neither PCBs, nor kits, nor final products.

I was just interested in people's impressions, interestingly enough quite same as mine.

Time will tell you how wrong you are....

When getting this information i apologize for the words about comercial and marketing stuff.....

Dude, are you for real?!? :confused: Pavel has a REAL job and has been swamped with work up until a few weeks ago--since then, he's been contributing to diyAudio like a madman!

He's not interested in a few hundred Euros for PCBs ... :rolleyes:

But look beneath it is like the book is written, and we are stuck. Think members just interested in learning for future.
I stop now, i mean first line, good evening.

Well ... he is prickly sometimes.

I'm sorry if my post 274 and it's talk of "giving the people what they want" and another PCB run gave the wrong impression ... I was joking ... mostly ... ;)

What I meant was you can alter other Pavel PCBs to be a greenpre:

His phono OPENAMP1 as a greenpre:

OPENAMP1 phono as greenpre, top.jpg
The fb res is the one on the angle, fb cap across it (bottom) and you have to bridge R5,

OPENAMP1 phono as greenpre, bottom.jpg

I just need low gain so I used 4k and 1.8k as feedback res.

:cool:

Last edited:
It is possible, of course.
Anyway, orange and kiwi have a little bit different noise background and the channels have been swapped. So, I have assumed that some golden ear might have indicated and described the difference ;)
No differences for me. Either my ears, or the gear is not up to it - I couldn't pick anything in it, even with my ears hard up to the speakers ...

No differences for me. Either my ears, or the gear is not up to it - I couldn't pick anything in it, even with my ears hard up to the speakers ...

I didn't mean to pay attention to the tone files but I think I heard differences that one file was louder or have lower tone (I think it was Orange1). I know it doesn't make sense. I just want to say what I think (should I check again? hehe).

But if there is serious effort to find out how low is audible, I will surely join, because imo the lower the response the more we have to feel it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.