UK Aleph-X PCB orders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fet Boards

Hi Jon.............those fet boards look really neat..........I would be up for......(assuming 4 fets per board) 12! However I would like say 50 - 60mm spacing between fets........

what isthe min you can do for a group buy.......

Thanks everybody for a really great uk thread!!!

Well, two bits of good news for you all, and one not so good:

Firstly, I have started matching up the FET's now (initialy to within 10mV, but if I get bored tomorrow night, I might whip out the Keithley and see how close I can actualy get them) and it looks like I will have more than enough pairs for everyone's boards.

Secondly I recieved a package this morning from Welbourne Labs with lots of resistors inside. The bad news being that 60 of the 10k Parts I ordered are on back order and haven't been included.

Anyway, I will hopefully still be sending out packages to all of you who have paid on Wednesday, although most of them won't have the 10k resistors in (I will sednd these on seperately once I have them from the states, if anyone needs to get their hands on them soon, let me know and I can pop some of the ones that I do have in your parcels) you should still have plenty to be getting started with.

So, if anyone has any more questions, feel free to get in touch, but otherwise you should be hearing back from me tomorrow with final news on what I will be seding out and when.

night

andrew.

edit: Jon, I just realised that I hadn't answered your qestion above. No, this isn't the place I ended up getting the boards for the rectifiers done in the end, as I was ordering a much larger number than this service would have been any good for. In the end I went with a company called Bartek Electronics, as they were one of the few who actuly replied to my inquiery and gave a decent price compared to some of the other places (although in this case the one off set up fees of about £70-100 should be enough to put you off them I would imagine).

Hi, I have finaly gotten round to packing up the parts to send out to poeople, and will be dropping most of them in the post (Jason, I haven't had a chance to do the 244's yet, so I'll probably send your's out early next week).

In the end there are only a board or two without the 100k dale resistors (most I which I have kept for myself for now) so everyone should have the full kits from the outset (I couldn't find a 3ohm one, so that will have to stay with the little blue one for now).

Also, Seve if you don't get my mail, I can't seem to find you address so if you could send that to me it would be rather useful.

Anyway, hopefuly some of you should be getting some packages at last and sorry it's take so long this time, I guess I will have to stop going out so much in the future:bawling: .

NEWS

Hi Jason.....
JK I believe is sorting out possible output boards....I am awaiting news on this..........

Currently I am awaiting to collect the parts for the Chassis....this is expensive......aluminium (6mm) ain't cheep! I am building 3 amps therefore this is goning to cost approx£200!!!

I intend to start power supplies during/just after xmas......

How far on are you???? What are your plans??

Richard

Current status

I'm working on this project with a friend from work.

We have all the bits to get a prototype up and running, but i need a shed load more inductors for the power supplies.

Switching on 4x 1Kva transformers will put a bit of a surge down the line, so i'm going to use a power sequencer (built into my pre-amp PSU) to one-by-one power up the power amps - the one i got from Maplins only allows one device on at a time and needs modifiying to make it function the way i need it to - currently it's on the bench being butchered.

Then i need to get on with the chassis - already worked out a design, just need to produce a sensible looking drawing and get a local metal workshop to make it up for me - no point in me doing it 'cos i don't have a sheet metal folder or the skill to make anything that is going to look as professional as i want it.

Whilst the chanssis is going on i'll get the soldering iron out and get soldering the boards up.

I'll keep you posted with progress as and when it happens.

I was interested to know how others are getting on as this thread had gone very quiet!

Quite simply i've ran out of money for the moment.

Also i am starting my final year at uni and my final year project is going to require me to learn how to program pics, i think i will be doing that most of the time:smash:

My project title is 'Home automation through the internet' kinda cool i thought, but computers have a habit of not working for no good reason when i get near them (its taken me an hour to get online to write this:dead: ) so maybe my project will go all wrong:bawling:

sorry for being a bit off topic.

yeah money, i went onto RS to see how much the output resistors were going to cost, i gave up when it got to around £30.

Thats all for now
Mark

Output Boards

Hi All,

I have managed to creater Gerber output from Tate's .brd file, and sent the lot off to Michael at TopescoreUK for a quote. Due to the board size, there is a little wasteage - I am hoping for 15 boards per prototype sheet.

I am just bit-gathering at the moment. The AXs are going to be my "big" (read expensive!! :eek: ) project - So, I'm in no hurry!! However, I do have a load of soldering to get on with: 12 x bridge rectifiers, 2 x AX main boards etc.

I've also got a TPA6120 headhone Amp evaluation model waiting for me to get a power supply up and running.

Cheers

Jon :)

output boards

Hi JK...............
What configuration of board are you going for???? is it for 4 devices or even 8?????

I am ideally after modules of 4.......

What weight of copper track are you specing........????

Is there any chance you could post your final spec.....

Cheers

Richard

Catching up

Hi All
Apologies for not being very participative for a while, working too hard for my own good ! Richard I will call you soon when I get home at a remotely sensible time, with a view to finally picking up the trannies.

This weekend I have been in London, helping my good lady out with some work, however found some time on Saturday to get to the Hifi show at Heathrow organised by HiFi News. A definite recommendation for sparking enthusiam for the DIY HiFi.

My favourite sound at the show and the best sound I have ever heard was the Audiofreaks room. The guy there really knows how to put together and setup a system. Avalon Eidolon powered by CJ350 and Art II. CD by McCormack and Vinyl by Kuzma reference-Benz Micro. With a system so revealing it was so easy tell the difference between the vinyl and CD. The vinyl easily won! The DJ was no less than Franz Kuzma himself.
Others of note were the Vivant speakers powered by Halco pre and power SACD source; the walrus systems setup vinyl valves and electrostatics. After Rarkov's thoughts on the Manger drivers went to listen to them in the Overkill system very nice indeed I can see why he likes them, definitely to be considered for some DIY speakers.
The Tact room correction demo was very interesting though not really to my taste, too sterile.

I spent almost 2 hours listening to the audiofreaks system, it was initially not as impressive sounding as many of the others but after a short while it just drew you in to the magic of the music;)

I went to the "meet the experts" session which was great to hear Ken Kessler et al from HiFi news. Afterwards got to talk to John Atkinson from Stereophile and at some length to Martin Colloms (we are not worthy). He is currently finishing the lastest version of his book (8 years since the last) for which he has read some 600 papers. Can't wait to read it, though not out until next Feb. He is very much aware of the DIY scene. On the GC he likes the mid but the treble and bass are not good enough. On digital amps he did not recommend I use one at all even for bass only. My understanding of his views is that the best way, and one of the few ways to real audiophile grade hifi with DIY is using Nelson's class A amps particularly the Aleph X. Just what I wanted to hear.

Hope all is well with you all.

Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.