UGS Power : it's U.P.

"Lycée de Versailles"

Hello everyone
Explanation of "Lycée de Versailles" by master CheefDeGarr / Flat on the French forum
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170533545 # p170533545
Google translation
"Ah, these young people ...
the Latin phrase "vice versa", which means "reciprocal" (word for word: to turn overthrown), improperly spent in French in the form of inaccurate "and vice versa, hence the approximation FrédéricDaresque of "Lycée de Versailles."

While doing the camp, my good sir"
:clown:
Regards
Roger

Zen Mod said:
Frenchs are nutz almost as Serbs ........

and lycée de Versailles ...

Attachments

• rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 966
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

Googling ZM strikes again ... :rofl:

Zick Mind is referring to a German phrase "Ich verstehe (nur) Bahnhof" which means : "I don't understand nothing..."
Or for the french kiddoes around here : "J'entrave que pouic"

"ne razumjem" so to speak ...

:clown:

Manu knows station ........ exact term is " ne kontam....." , ask G. if you don't believe me ........

btw - who is "Bahnhof" ......... ?

:rofl:

(I'll stop now with OT .... :captain: will exterminate me .... )

I have been looking into the bias thing, to find the advantages of raising the bias. Here are a few arguments for doing it: Generally lower distortion, lower IMD , lower output impedance, better ratio of low order harmonics VS higher order's. Still needing a reason; more heat (good in the winter;) ) Probably a few more .... I was convinced;) I didn't make any of that up and dont take my word for any of it, just read Papa's writings:)
I have re-adjusted the amp's for a voltage drop across the source R's to 187mV. The source R's are .45r. This means 415mA bias current through each fet, resulting in 25 clean Class A watt's. Amazingly the offsets didn't wander one bit, while setting the bias to almost the double amount. 25 watts should be enough for "normal" listening levels, without hitting Class B. At this setting, the heatsinks do get handwarm, approx 40 deg C.
Having been listening all day, the amp seems to have gotten a little more analytical and better sounding at the same time. The sound changed to more "calm" and relaxed with an easy pinpointing of details. Cymbals are a little better defined and extended upwards, keeping the silky-like sound. Midrange and voices are very pleasant and with the bottomend deep and clearcut, I will definitely keep this setting.
Allthough the amp was allready very good, and the improvements are rather subtle, the increased bias makes the U.P.'s go from "best amp so far" to "best amp by far".
The U.P.'s rock, and are truly impressive amp's......

:)

Nope, not yet. That is gonna be next. It will probably be a while, before that happens. With the sound of these amps right now, I am a bit reluctant to do changes;) Ofcourse the SE bias arrangement can easily be tried and removed, if necessary. I am not much for a passive resistor for that though, so I am trying to figure out how to implement an active CCS for that purpose. It will have to be calculated for 10% of the Class A output, in this case 2,5 watt's SE power. AS Papa said somewhere; that important first watt!

steenoe said:
I have been looking into the bias thing, to find the advantages of raising the bias. Here are a few arguments for doing it: Generally lower distortion, lower IMD , lower output impedance, better ratio of low order harmonics VS higher order's. Still needing a reason; more heat (good in the winter;) ) Probably a few more .... I was convinced;) I didn't make any of that up and dont take my word for any of it, just read Papa's writings:)
I have re-adjusted the amp's for a voltage drop across the source R's to 187mV. The source R's are .45r. This means 415mA bias current through each fet, resulting in 25 clean Class A watt's. Amazingly the offsets didn't wander one bit, while setting the bias to almost the double amount. 25 watts should be enough for "normal" listening levels, without hitting Class B. At this setting, the heatsinks do get handwarm, approx 40 deg C.
Having been listening all day, the amp seems to have gotten a little more analytical and better sounding at the same time. The sound changed to more "calm" and relaxed with an easy pinpointing of details. Cymbals are a little better defined and extended upwards, keeping the silky-like sound. Midrange and voices are very pleasant and with the bottomend deep and clearcut, I will definitely keep this setting.
Allthough the amp was allready very good, and the improvements are rather subtle, the increased bias makes the U.P.'s go from "best amp so far" to "best amp by far".
The U.P.'s rock, and are truly impressive amp's......

Hi Steen,
Sorry for delay, a bit busy :( Just had the time to read, not to reply...
And thanks a lot for sharing your finding on bias. Definitively worth the mod.
But I can't afford this heatsinking of yours, and it remains a dream for me :)
(And wrt active sources, your mail's not lost, and I'll try to answer today...)

Happy music ;)