UGS Power : it's U.P.

Francois, how could I forget:D Here is a pic of the UGS preamp I am using with the UP's.
The clarity is extraordinaire. Gettin' rid of all those caps in the signal path; great stuff.
As usual its stable as a rock. Have a look at the offsets of the preamp.
Seems that I am heavily suffering from the spreading "UGS-effect" :cool:
I used a couple of Toole reg's , ofcourse running them as hard as I dare.
Thanks again for sharing these superb projects. I will like to say, that these are some of the easiest to build amps that I have made. Not in terms of simplicity in the cct's as such, but everything just works out right away in first shot. Amazingly well made circuits:cool:

:)

Attachments

• ugs_preamp_adj.jpg
    ugs_preamp_adj.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,805
steenoe said:
Francois, how could I forget:D Here is a pic of the UGS preamp I am using with the UP's.
The clarity is extraordinaire. Gettin' rid of all those caps in the signal path; great stuff.
As usual its stable as a rock. Have a look at the offsets of the preamp.
Seems that I am heavily suffering from the spreading "UGS-effect" :cool:
I used a couple of Toole reg's , ofcourse running them as hard as I dare.
Thanks again for sharing these superb projects. I will like to say, that these are some of the easiest to build amps that I have made. Not in terms of simplicity in the cct's as such, but everything just works out right away in first shot. Amazingly well made circuits:cool:

Hi Steen,

Wow ! :eek: Another awesome piece of DIY !
Very very nice work (as usual, may I say) ;)
Is this a Joshua Tree, or a Dantimax kit for volume ?
And thanks for your kind comments on the ease of building.

So... Did you have the opportunity to compare the ugs to the NS10, the famous orange cucurbitaceae, or something alike ?
Any comparison between the Toole's regs and the "regular regs" of the ugs ? (Something I MUST try, for sure)

And sorry for the ugs syndrom. I hope you'll find a relief someday ;)

Happy listening,

Best.

Thanks, glad you like it:)
The Volume control and selectors are indeed the twisted guy's work, in a fully balanced setup. The Joshua tree works just fine.

I have compared to the X-CCS-BosoZ, NS10 and the B1. They all sound great with the UP (which is an easy job with as fine an amp as the UP;) ) But I do prefer the UGS. The combination is just splendid. I am certain that the UP+UGS-preamp will stay in the main system for a very long time:cool:

I have your series reg. boards on the working-bench right now. I will put them together and try them with the UGS. It will be interesting to see (hear) the difference from the shuntreg's. Also I would really like to hear your oppinion on a shuntreg if you build one for the UGS.

If they find a cure for the UGS-syndrome, I will not know of it:cool:

Thanks Tony, you are too kind:)
Here is another shot of the rearplate with the volume control and input/output selector mounted. The reason for doing it this way, is ofcourse to maximize as much free space as possible, inside the case.

Attachments

• rearplate_assembly.jpg
    rearplate_assembly.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,428
Last one, showing the front. Peter Daniel was kind enough to supply me with the Classe' knobs;) The plan is to install a display in the middle, whenever the Twisted Pair has that ready and up for sale.

Tony, Manu; great job on those boards in the NS10 thread:cool: I will have to order a bunch of those compact ones.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,295
Manu said:
Steen you're a wizzard
:worship:
Manu

(Seems you reached the graâl with UGS and UP ...
Nevertheless I hope there will be an other Graââl after the Grâââl... then the nature of the Graâhl is not to be reached ... never)
Cheers

manu

Oh yes, the Graal. Let me say something wise;) It is not important to find the graal, but it is very important to try:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ctong said:
I have a question for the schematic posted in the beginning of the thread. Why are the long tails of the differential pairs connected to each other instead of going the the opposite sides of the rails?

that's Papa's sick mind playing with all of us .........

:clown:

go to www.passlabs.com and search for "SUSY" or "SuperSymmetric"

Aquestion for those on the otherside of the pond who understand french better than I

My abilities with french are at about 50%. I understand about half of the disscusions from the french forum from post # 57
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
What I have understood is that a number of people posting here are listening to these little beasties! I am definitely envious!

My question is this. Is the PCB file posted at the beginning of the french forum a workable means to make this amp? Are the PCB files posted the final versions? Or do they need some changes?

Because if the files are good to go I am going to make me some of these amps! I can etch a couple over the weekend.

If they are not could a kind person nudge me in the right direction?

Mark