UGS adventures

I've been reading through most of this thread once again, and I was also offered a set of PCBs as requested, so I might give this one a go, beautiful as it is! Hats off for Cheff!
And I most ecertainly need a new set of amps.

I found the zip for the PCB, which I may or may not need ( I will need the silk overlays though), but is there a zip somewhere with the corresponding schematics and comp. numbers for all the additional boards except the UGS module itself?

AuroraB said:
I've been reading through most of this thread once again, and I was also offered a set of PCBs as requested, so I might give this one a go, beautiful as it is! Hats off for Cheff!
And I most ecertainly need a new set of amps.

I found the zip for the PCB, which I may or may not need ( I will need the silk overlays though), but is there a zip somewhere with the corresponding schematics and comp. numbers for all the additional boards except the UGS module itself?

Usually LeCheff's boards are designated with the component values. I for one pretty much like that! Usually you will have to compare the schematic's to the board's:D Go figure; you actually have to do a little work yourself.
Dont hesitate building LeCheff's UGS, everything else is somewhat pale and "bloodless" in direct comparison.......

:)

Update

I have replaced the atmega64 chip. All joints are now very clean and the legs of the chip are perfectly positioned. I now read 5V on the chip when power is connected and there is no continuity between 5V pins and ground.

I have also replaced the 74HC244 chip. I ued a 74HC244 OCTAL TRI-STATE BUFFER (DIL) RC from Rapid electronics. When I power the uC board I get 4.41V between pins 20 and 10 on the 74HC244 chip, which is fine.

I ran Ponyprog again but it still comes back with "device unknown or not present". Calibration still comes back as OK though.

One interesting point: I am plugging the prog-board into LAPT1 on my laptop. When my laptop is being powered from the mains is causes a problem to the PSU of the uC (the transformer buzzes). However when my laptop is powered by its own battery there is no problem.

Ideas welcome.

:scratch:

Once upon a time with UGS

This's my current UGS module with mother board.
Balanced IN-OUT with 25KA volume control.

Thanks
Anadigit

Attachments

• completed.jpg
    completed.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,215
The "only" things to change are the source resistors (22R & 47R)
The best way is to use a breadboarded schematic as depicted here :
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171952037#p171952037
Before testing a JFet, set the variable R to its max resistance.
Then plug the fet and the battery, and set the res to read 3.5 to 4 mA
Unplug all and measure the resistor value, and write it down.
Do the same for the other fet in the case, note the resistor, and average the two values.
Then use this value for the new source resistor on the pcb.

Remember to substract 25 Ohms (VR2/2) to the found value for the 2SJ109

Hope this helps

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Finished !!!

Couple of days ago i finally finished my UGS.

It has been playing for many moons now but i had to learn how to use my CNC properly to finish the case.

It's more or less accomplished, this was my first DIY for many years, next one will be better.

Great many thanks to François and of course NP for this sweet thing :) , their generosity is amazing.

( ...many thanks too for ZMs patience because i put the Shanling project on hold to finish this one first...i'll now make it the CD player it can be. )

Attachments

• night.jpg
    night.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 963
  • cover off - back.jpg
    cover off - back.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 930
  • cover off.jpg
    cover off.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 929
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks François but you did all the important work.:)

one thing i think i should share: the 4R7 supply resistor on channel MB changes value with time , mine were reading in the order of 60 ohms.

i would suppose this is because they should be of higher wattage , eg: 0.6 W ?

All the Best