• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just changed the power supply my M2tech Evo with LifeP04 and i'm getting such goosebumps listening to Souad Massi's Live album that i'm wondering if i could also power the 32 digital section with the other pack. It's rated 9,9V -I've measured it at 10,45V fully charged. Is it safe or over the SOR?

After 3 years I have finally finished my buffalo32s. Last week the custom frontpanel from Modushop.biz/Hifi2000 in Italy arrived. Beautiful work by Andrea Bettazonni. Now it not only sounds great, but looks great as well (in my opinion at least)!

Scanspeakman

Attachments

• buffalo32s dac.jpg
    buffalo32s dac.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 519
It certainly looks great.

May I ask how you mounted the display to the front-panel?
I plan to do something similar, but actually i have no clue on how big the rectangular hole must be, to look "professonal". I guess it must be slightly smaller than the display itself...
Also: Should one use a cover glass before the display (for protection)?

I can manage some wood- and also metal-work, but this task does puzzle me.

It certainly looks great.

May I ask how you mounted the display to the front-panel?
I plan to do something similar, but actually i have no clue on how big the rectangular hole must be, to look "professonal". I guess it must be slightly smaller than the display itself...
Also: Should one use a cover glass before the display (for protection)?

I can manage some wood- and also metal-work, but this task does puzzle me.

The panel itself is 10mm thick. On the rear a 8mm deep cavity is made, which is slightly bigger then the cut out on the front, to hold the display window. I have used 3mm thick grey plexiglass for the window and made a "mask" of black cardboard so then nothing else then the display is visable through the display window. Around the cavity on the back there are 4 m3 threaded holes to bolt the display pcb to the frontpanel. Easyist solution I could think of.

Scanspeakman

I have volumite with buff32s. When volume knob is turned completely down I still hear music. Is this normal?

I've only recently added the volumite, but strangely I don't seem to remember it being like this when I first installed it. Its now when testing a new amp that I noticed it.

Edit: Another thing thats been bugging me. The spdif button has two positions 1 and ON, so then 1 is off? I am to use i2s input.

Last edited:
Help with a Buffalo 32s channel not working

One channel of my Buf32s is not working.

I've tested the outputs (both channels) with an oscilloscope. I have used a CD track with a 1kHz signal and one channel shows the signal ok, as it should be. However the other channel shows no AC signal, instead appear 13.8Vdc between + and GND and -7.9Vdc between - and gnd.

Seems clear that the analog part of the buff32 is failing . Could someone please help me?
Since the scheme is not available I guess Brian and/or Russ would know with more certainty that may be failing.

The configuration of the dac is very simple. I use spdif input and SE output (signal taken from + and gnd) and two Placid BP one per channel (+/-15V and 200mA supply current configuration) and one Placid for Digital (5.20V and 200mA supply current configuration) . Attached is a pic of the dac.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.