Tube Pre Amplifier for SEWA 7 Watt ClassA MOSFET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ryssen said:

Yes,I I have the swing to drive it full output,but some say you need lot
of current to drive the Mosfets,e.x http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84361&perpage=10&pagenumber=4
That´s why I thought of a bigger trafo.:(

Keep this one if you like it, and build a new one with a bigger current using fatter tube. For example, 12L6 (or 50L6) in triode mode. And a new power transformer. I use pairs 12J5 (5MA, 120V) + 12L6 (50 MA, 120V) to drive 500W / 2 Ohm hybrid amp, I like the sound.

A couple of things you can try

Ryssen said:
I have been bussy with this SEWA hybrid thing
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It´s a 6c45 CCS stage:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It seems to be working fine through my junkspeakers,the only problem now is that i found out (Thanks Fuling)the supply for the tubes are a bit weak.I can use 15ma/tube but if I go higher I only get hum,will order a bigger trafo wich I use backwards on the SEWA supply,and try it out on my better speakers.

cheers.;)

Instead of a tube load the ccs with a 2K resistor to ground, the voltage accross the resistor will tell you what your CCS is set to for current. 20mA would be 40V, 30mA would be 60V and so on...If the CCS is delivering sufficent current you can use a resistor on the cathode to ground rather than an LED, start at 90 ohm and you can decrease from there.

...If the CCS is delivering sufficent current you can use a resistor on the cathode to ground rather than an LED, start at 90 ohm and you can decrease from there

This will vary the voltage on the plate and so give your 6c45 more headroom. If you increase the current through the 6c45 without lowering the cathode voltage you will get the result you have reported, collapsing voltage over the CCS until it ceases to function.

Shoog

Nope,I can´t get more than 15-17mA even with resistors.:dead:
Locking at the Plate characteristics of 6c45 at -1,7v that I get with this Led,and 140-145v I cant get more than 15mA from the tube.Is 150v the max voltage for 6c45?At 155v -1,5v I get 30ma,I have some IR Leds that give 1,5v.And at bout 170v -1,7v I get 30mA,if it´s safe to use the tube at 170V?As you can se I like to use Leds..:D
I have ordered a larger trafo to try.

If you reduced the bias point to say 1V, then you would set the conditions for lowing the plate voltage whilst maintaining the current through the tube (the CCS will consume more voltage). This is "having more headroom" for a given current, which is what you want. Unfortunately I think you will have to give up on the use of LED for bias purposes.
It depends whether you can live with just 1V of bias.

Shoog

Ryssen said:

I think that´s the case,already tried with 1,2v bias the trafo can´t keep up the voltage..Gonna try this bigger trafo I ordered.:)

But don't expect significant quality improvement. :)

To charge a capacitance of 1 Farad during 1 Second to 1 volt we need 1 Ampere (I love the Metric system!).

Suppose, your FET has 3000 pF input capacitance. Suppose, you have about 0.5 voltage swing s-g to fight against the capacitance (actually much less).
Minimal current is 2*(10^4)*2*3(10^-9)0.5=6*(10^-5) Amperes, i.e. 0.01 mA. If you have 10 Ma, it means you have 1000 times more, or you have already enough current for a swing 500V s-g.

It means, neither CD, nor MP3 can give you such a quality signal so you can measure differences on the high end of your band.

CCS with 6C45

I think you need to raise b+ to about 220V and lower the resistance on the CCS (10E in Series w/470E) and you should be on your way. As far as an LED goes, I can't help you much there. I think you got it right that you are too low a voltage on the CCS that feeds the tube, THe 6C45 sounds fine to me at 18-20mA, but it will handle more current if that is your wish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.