• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube "Orientation"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Horizontal Tubes

Thanks for the reply. I was asking because I have a Peavey Triumph and would like to try some KT88's because I hear they have some real character bur my sockets are mounted to a PC board and are too close together to mount such large tubes. I have contemplated making a horizontal mount and fabricating adapters to connect them to the factory sockets. But I wanted to see if there is a logical reason tube are never (to my knowledge) mounted horizontal.

Maybe Enzo or someone similar might find time to chime in on this one.

Thanks!
Jeff

You see it a lot in guitar amps, and yes, it is stressful (to power valves and rectifiers), as the hot electrodes can sag and short. Some data sheets specify certain mounting orientations. It isn't a big deal for preamp valves if they're operated at low power levels.

Upside-down mounting can also be stressful as the rising heat is blocked by the chassis and gathers around the valve base.

As a general rule, small signal valves can be mounted horizontally without any problems and some preamps do this to get everything in a small (SS-like) case.

As a general rule, power valves are best mounted vertically upwards. Horizontal mounting will require careful reading of the datasheet as there is often a restriction on orientation to reduce grid sag.

I am sure there will be exceptions to both rules!

You're allowed to rotate your tube and use slightly different cable routing on your other monoblock! In the end, they'll be part of your home furnishings.. Make sure you'll be happy looking at them whether they are on or off.

No, knowing that the layout in one was sub-optimal would drive me even more crazy, since I'd then have the grid lead crossing over the plate lead and getting closer to the noisier parts of the amp! I can live with the cosmetics of the tube labels; otherwise I'd be hearing differences (whether they were there or not...).

It's only 4 wires.. You could try it and take some measurements. But otherwise, I understand. (I just went through the same decision on my monoblocks, and the 2nd block does have heater wires crossing signal wires.. Worked out fine, though)

My wife is an architect, so aesthetics is always way up on my list. (If it doesn't meet her high architectural design standards, it won't be in my house.. basically)
It's actually been a good thing, because I was an embarrassingly messy builder..

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Pye Mozart,

I like sideways tubes..very space saving. (compact designs)

Some data sheets have horizontal mounting guidance.

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• Pye mozart.jpg
    Pye mozart.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 108
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.