Trompie`s "Statement family" Mains ,Center and Mini Statements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope I`m in the the right section to post my tread regarding more info on my speaker building project.

About 12 years back a bought some Blue Gum tree planks that was cut from huge old trees (older then a 100 years according to town folks that know some of their history). The piece of land was bought for the development of an church so some of them were cut down and processed into planks.

At that time I didn't had any plans for them so now 12 years later I decided it was time to use some of them in my speaker project.

Fortunately for me my wife had no objection to the size of the Statement speakers. I however had to modify my home to accommodate the speakers so a few walls had to go (they were kind of a nuisance anyway) coupled with some other alterations.

This was my first speaker project.The build took me about 2 months to complete for the set of five. I worked 95% of the time alone with some occasional help from my wife/twin brother and friends.I spend quite some time in designing and building jigs so that I was able to do most of the work alone. Should I decide to build a second pair it would be much quicker next time.

The Statements way in at 80 kg each (176 pounds) and the Minis are 41 kg (90 pounds) each.

Most of the pic`s were taken wit my cell phones camera so I do apologize for the poor quality in advance.
I also would like to mention that I`m not fluent in English and that some of the words might not have the meaning that I intended.

I`m very proud to show you my Statement family.

Statements and center.
attachment.php4

MiniStatments used as surrounds.
attachment.php4

Without drivers
attachment.php4

attachment.php4

attachment.php4

pics of MiniStatements

attachment.php4

attachment.php4

Pic of the feet that a friend made for me that can adjust individually if needed for level placement.

attachment.php4

Magnet placement for holding the covers (that I still need to design and make).

I have taken the idea a little further then only on the front of the baffles and added some magnets to the side of each speaker as well to hold the covers in place when I remove them.
The center speakers magnets are on top as I still need to make a dedicated/matching stand/cabinet for the TV and other equipment so the TV on top of the center is only temporarily.

It`s kind of difficult to see the front magnets on this pics.
attachment.php4

attachment.php4

attachment.php4

making the curves

Here are some of the jigs that I made and used. This is what I came up all on my own so I hope to inspire some of you to consider a curved speaker build.

The jigs helped me to achieve the "curved" shape that I had in mind.

attachment.php4

attachment.php4

attachment.php4

Thanks to my uncle for his orbital sander that did a excellent job.

attachment.php4

This jig help with the cutting inside the speaker panel/side for the bracings and tops to fit nicely.

attachment.php4

Some of the tools that I used

Below is some of the tools that I used. Some of theme are my own and some was lend to my by family members.

My brothers Radial arm saw.
attachment.php4

My home made router table that I made for this project.
attachment.php4

My old wood planer and in the background some of the planks that were going to be used.
attachment.php4

Good luck

Its clear that the Statements can play louder for longer with a bit more bass, BUT the Mini`s truly holds their own ground.
I had the Minis as fronts while I finished the Statements and they did not disappoint nor give in at any thing I trough at them.
Simply flawless performance for their class.

DON'T hurry yourself enjoy the experience it will pay of later.

Good luck with your build repeet and thanks for the nice comment.

Brett, I kind of hoped that someone might be able to pick up a tip or two and possibly learn something from my experienced/build.

I've often imagined using jigs the way you did to obtain curved panels, but this the first time I see it actually done- and much better than I had figured! Very well done. I love how the wood grain appears to have depth.

So how do they sound.

Thank you guys you gave me some great compliments.

I belief that given the right tools (and patience:)) most of you are are capable enough to build speakers as good and even better then mine.

So how do they sound. This is a difficult one for me to answer/explain so lets try ... and this of course is according to me and my ears and goes for the whole "family".

They sound :

"true" I`m referring to the quality of the recording you use. Great recording = Excellent sound and listening experience.

"open" and "Wide" with "depth". I can rely hear that mids come to live, it must be the fact that they play through the speaker boxes. They have the ability to let me place the singer/s and instrument/s more precise. I can literally hear the one singer standing next to the other one and sing. That was rely weird in the beginning. Choirs sound unusually good when they fill the whole room behind and sometimes even in front of the singer/s. The sound not only have a left and right positioning but now they have an near,far and almost hight dimension as well. I was definitely not used to that. I sometimes do my listening in a dark room and I know its physically imposable for that sound/person to play/sing from where it currently is coming from. They have the extra ordinary capability of literally breaking through my rooms dimensions. The vocals/instruments its just there it doesn't sound like they are being generated by my speakers.

"Detailed" as I`f heard sounds in songs that I know I new very well and didn't picked that up before. That goes from bass level up to the high notes. I kind of expected this to happen as I have read reviews of some of the guys who have build them.

The bass is (though some people could never get enough :devilr: ) .... AMAZING. I relay did not see that coming, that being said nor did any of my friends or family. It sounds very "controlled" from low levels up to high levels of volume. It was and still is weird as in the beginning I played some songs that I knew, and thought to myself "Now why would I like some more bass" and then I plaid some other songs and go "Were does THAT bass came from and then it hit me I`m comparing them to my previous speakers and the songs I have last listen on the old ones that now sounds sooo... "boxy" and unrealistic. The Statements only produce the correct/required bass when needed. In that department they are absolutely brilliant. They rely perform flawless. It`s just there ALL around you in the room.

When my friends asked me how they're sounding now that I`m supposed to be use to them, they say" don't even bother to answer because that smile says it all".

To me they sound mesmerizing, kind of TOO Good and when I listen to them they simply Demand Respect.
I will admit that I`m now addicted to their sound.:D

I would like to give credit to Jim and Curt and everyone els that may have been involved in the development of the design.

Thanks.
Trompie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.