Troels NOMEX 164: any thoughts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Blossom:

I really enjoy the speakers. They were everything I was hoping they would be; met all the goals I was trying to achieve. They are smooth, rich, have rather good bass and have a warm sound, but still very detailed. Troels is very responsive to questions and is just a generally nice and helpful guy.

I made the l-pad adjustments that Pascal suggested, bring the tweeter level down another .5db. And also tuned the enclosure a little lower than called for. The lower tuning is perfect, but I've been planning to try the lpad back at the original level. I think I made the change too soon and should of let the drivers run in. There was the tiniest bit of harshness from things like female vocals which the attenuation fixed, but I'd like to see if they could have a bit more energy.

Overall, very happy and I'm sure you will be to if they are right for your goals.
let us know if you have any questions.

Evan

Hi Evan,

Just to say that i've add a 12" sub connected via high level lines of the plate amp and crossed around 50 hz (not measured yes).

I found it'was a BIG improvement, all is well balanced now :)

Hey Pascal:

I'm pretty happy with the bass from mine. It's really balanced unless I put on electronic or rap type music. What size enclosure did you build? Mine are 40L. I have an ok sub, but prefer to keep it switched off with music. It's just doesn't sound as good as the bass from the Nomex. It's a Klipsh RSW-10d if I remember right. If I had a better sub I might use it.

Hi Satx, Blossom,

My actual configuration is Nomex164 + Sub connected ti high level lines.
Box tuned to 40 hz and the tweeter lpad values are 1.2 ohms and 15 ohms. Everything is fine :)

My enclosure is the standard one 34l. Internal damping is 10mm felt + bitumen and sonofil as shown in yellow on Troels shematic.

By the way, do you know the Elsinore design by J. Rasmussen.
A double Nomex 164 !!

By the way, do you know the Elsinore design by J. Rasmussen.
A double Nomex 164 !!

Yes I've seen it. I read a good portion of the tread before I built the Nomex164. I think I read up on everything that used those drivers and a lot more in my search. I'm sure they rock. If I built something that big I think I would try one of the Jensen designs, though I have been getting interested in the "FAST' designs and may give that a shot in the future for a large design.

I built a pretty interesting and great sounding fast standmount using a mark audio and sb woofer. I may post it here; it was quite successful considering the restraints of that size enclosure.

Evan

Hi inetboy,

Well i can say concerning the caracter of the sound, the 830875 produce lots of details ! The tweeter 810921 also. The Nomex 64 with an F3 around 45 Hz have no infra bass :) but the sound is well balanced.

I use them with a Poppulse T150 (TA22 chipset) with the volume pot removed, they can play a kind of live sound at high SPL volume.

They are pleasant speakers that can play very loud :)

Hi there

any comments from users or experienced folks on the Nomex 164 Version 2 - with the scanspeak discovery tweeter ?

I am looking for a first floorstander build ( first speaker build actually )

The Other design is the Ekta Mark 2 but its significantly more costly but i can look at it if its worth the additional Euros..

Euro 650 for Nomex Mark 2 Vs Euro 1331 for Ekta Mark 2

regards

Hi, twice price daesn't mean twice improvement concerning sound quality IMHO :)

If it's your firts diy spekers build, go for the cheapest one !

BR, Pascal

Thank you

I read this long thread yesterday and i infer that the earlier Peerless HDS tweeter was found " hot " by some users.

I was wondering is the Scanspeak Discovery D2608/91300 tweeter is a much better one in terms of musicality without being too laid back

I am located in Mumbai, India and fortunately the HDS-P830875 drivers are located at a dealer quite close to my home.

regards

I read this long thread yesterday and i infer that the earlier Peerless HDS tweeter was found " hot " by some users.
I was wondering is the Scanspeak Discovery D2608/91300 tweeter is a much better one in terms of musicality without being too laid back
regards
HDS 819921 and ScanSpeak D2608 are exactly the same product.

Some user found it "Hot" as you said, but IMHO it's only a question of level.

If you carreful match the level of this tweeter, I think it's a very good one and it measure very well concerning distortion.

BR Pascal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.