• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triode/Pentode Loadline Calculator

Off the chart...

Thank you for showing this strange phenomenon. I must admit that I am not able to get this effect by no means. What is more strange is that the "canvas" object on which the browser can draw does not extend to the area including simulation parameters. Has anyone else encountered such a case? What browser are you using?

Thanks for the 6N16b, can you also add the 6N17b as well please? :cheers:
Yes, I'll add it in the near future.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Indeed, this is one so those so called "internet" equivalents just like this 6N1P that is touted to be a 6DJ8 which it is not etc.

It seems that there's quite some to sample variation with this particular valve type. Then there's this 6S4 too which is also quite similar....

Has anyone traced the curves of various 6S3s ?

Cheers, ;)

Hi,

Indeed, this is one so those so called "internet" equivalents just like this 6N1P that is touted to be a 6DJ8 which it is not etc.

It seems that there's quite some to sample variation with this particular valve type. Then there's this 6S4 too which is also quite similar....

Has anyone traced the curves of various 6S3s ?

Cheers, ;)

Here is a 6S3P-EV that I traced a while ago:
I need to redo it now that I am sure the tube can take 300v.

Attachments

• 6S3P-EV.jpg
    6S3P-EV.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
I've added to the simulator 6S3P-EW triode. It's a very interesting tube. I have a large tube collection but I do not have that in my resources :mad:. I would like to share three observations.

1. The 6S3P tube has an extremely favorable characteristics for modeling. This is due to the fact that for the zero grid voltage, anode curve is similar to the curves for negative biases (even for very small anode currents) - there is no trace of saturation phenomenon.

2. In the manufacturer's datasheet I used for traversing data there is probably a mistake. For the anode voltage 150V and grid bias -1.5V datasheet says that S = 19.5[mA/V], mu = 50[V/V], and Ri = 5K. This is not possible if only taking into account the formula that mu = S*Ri. The simulator gives the correct values. Please check it out.

3. I am now in an exceptionally good mood. I do not know why. Maybe because tomorrow is the weekend and I can do nothing for two days :).

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

1. The 6S3P tube has an extremely favorable characteristics for modeling. This is due to the fact that for the zero grid voltage, anode curve is similar to the curves for negative biases (even for very small anode currents) - there is no trace of saturation phenomenon.

Which is why I suggested it.
It shares this characteristic with the EC86 and ECC88.
I looked into this when searching for a better valve to use as a MC level amplifier where Vg = 0 (i.e. cathode is grounded).
Another very interesting one for this kind of service is the 6N1P.

Thanks for looking into this and enjoy the weekend, ;)

Great tool and great effort!

I would prefer to see a pentode load-line simulator, though. Is that planned for some future moment?

The load-line is an important detail, but you still have to take the other tubes that participate in creating the end result into consideration:
- Even harmonics cancellation with the preceding stages;
- Eventual feedback loops and their effects.

In my opinion, simulation of entire circuits is still the best way to go, and what we need are tools to create better spice models.