Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Robert,

I've been meaning t build an AMP1 for over a year, just haven't gotten to it. The AMP5 is similar, or course. Just have too many other amps to deal with right now.
As Brian says, read thru that thread.

Same goes for input transformers. Have been planning to do that for about a year, but other projects keep getting in the way. I think it's a good idea and makes a nice way to link DAC to amp. I'm a fan of transformer coupled circuits. The idea would be to replace the input cap with a transformer.

Bennic Caps v. Jantzen Caps & my impressions

As I posted earlier, my TA-10 came with Bennic XXP caps. I initially changed out the power caps per Pano's recommendation, but left the Bennics in to check it out. With this setup, just changing the Power caps to 1200uf with the Bennics, to me, the TA-10 is a far sweeter and enjoyable amplifier than my Super T. The soundstaging is great, but the thing that struck me was the depth of soundstage and detail of instruments. I was able to hear nuances to instruments I could not hear before. A great example is the late Eva Cassidy's What a Wonderful World. It sounded as if she and her small band were in my living room. Eerie.

I recently changed the Bennics to Jantzen figuring that the Jantzens would be even better than the Bennics. After about a week of burn in, I took a listen. The Jantzen caps closed the soundstage, sounded dull, the detail was gone and the amp suddenly started to sound very ordinary. That magical feeling and sound of the music was gone. I did not like it at all.

I put the Bennic caps back in and all is right in the world again. Just my thoughts.....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for letting us know. My TA-10 did not come with the Bennic caps.

I like the Jantzens compared to a lot of other metalized film caps, but have never heard the Bennic XXP. Hope the next amp I order has the Bennics so I can compare.

The amp designer has told me he is always on the lookout for good caps, both power and input. Some are too large or too expensive for the production amp.

But we don't want the stock amp to be too good, because then we wouldn’t have anything to improve!

Hi,
Whre can I get the power caps that are recomended by Panno? The panasonic are quite dificult to find, olso the web page mentioned in this forum before, it's quite confusing, they ask me to buy a whole bunch of them... well I do not understand much about this things, but I would like to try them, or other's that are similar.

By the way, how is Lepai project going? does it sound good?

Panasonic FM caps?

I'm trying to find the Panasonic FM caps (for the power supply) at digikey and I don't think I'm looking at the right thing:

The caps I found at Digi-key are 10mm OD with a spacing of 5mm
(Panasonic # EEU-FM1C-122L) or digikey # P12367-ND

Am I looking at the wrong caps?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Hi, I am new to the T-Amp scene, what started out as a research to replace my PC audio system resulted in a week of obsessive reasearch into all the offerings of Tripath amps.

I am considering of getting the TA-10 at this point due to its smaller footprint and better PCB construction that the Super T.

There is now a Canadian distributor for the TA-10 $129us and the T-Amp so that was a plus too. He is in BC and goes by"koolthang" on eBay, I think I will order one from him today.

Hmm, Koolthang doesn't seem to be selling anything right now but looking forward to it if he does.

I believe he is still selling the SI T-Amp.

Unfortunately his shipment of TA-10 was held up at customs due to missing paperwork and I will have to wait another 3-4 days more, hoping to get mine before x-mas :(

I inquired with TA about their quality standards in building their products which is important for the DIY community and the possibility of being one of their Canadian distributors. From the web photos, it looks like it was built with a no clean process and I am not too happy with the way the wiring is soldered into the cups.

Just imagine a Class-T amp being built to IPC-A-610D Class 3 for under $150CAD, that would be awesome ! :)

Hey everyone,

It's good to be here. As Edt mentioned, I am the Canadian distributor for Trends Audio. I became one after purchasing a TA-10 myself and being very impressed with the unit. I cant tell you more than what the reviews have already mentioned, but in my opinion the build quality is very good, sound is amazing and the unit is very easy to mod (if you are inclined).

I'm unfortunately sold out at the moment. By Friday am, I will be shipping the remainder of my TA-10 stock out. However, I am expecting another shipment within 2 weeks. This shipment will also include a few of Trends' UD-10 USB Audio converters (off-board PC sound card and DAC). I have not evaluated the UD-10 myself, but am excited to do so after reading the excellent review at TNT: http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/trendsaudio_ud10_e.html.

I'll try not to be too pitchy about Trends products, so Edt and other contributers here can give their own impressions after listening!

Take care,

sasha

Hi Sasha,

I can't wait to get my unit.

I wrote to David at TA and he has no idea of what the IPC-A-610 standards are, so I am a little disappointed by that regard. Maybe you can ask him to follow those standards, that would be a good marketing and technical spec for him to follow. Reason I asked was because from the photos online, I can tell that the workmanship on the soldering is not up to the standards. A product such as the TA-10 should be at least built to IPC-A-610D Class 2.

You can learn more about it here: www.ipc.org

Great Amp!

Hi, I just picked up my TA-10 from Eddie Wu at the Wai Wai Valve Co in Hong Kong. Eddie was pleased to demo the amp in his dem room and for 850 HK$ (AROUND 56 GBP) I was very, very impressed. :bigeyes: It somes with a nice 3A switchmode supply, but I'll dig out my gel battery and give it a try over the holidays. First time I have tried a T amp and am using it as a power amp with my TX102 pre, Pedja 1541a DAC and IPL TL floorstanders. Even in stock form, this amp sounded good out of the box!! I am going to give it a few days and then compare with the Arcam D290P monoblocks I was running until today. 10 WPC vs 140, but I still get plenty of volume out of the TA-10. Initial impressions are that there is more detail and separation (which I don't understand as I was running 2 mono amps before!! :confused: ) but can lose the lowest bass notes. Delivery is nice and smooth.

I'll (naturally!! ;) ) be introducing it to my soldering iron at some stage, but I too have already changed the front knob!! :D

Overall, I'd say splash out on one and see what you think. I don't belive you'd be disappointed and if it wasn't to your taste in the main system, you'd have the basis of a great second system.

Merry Christmas!

Jon

Using a calculator on another site, I found that I would be able to listen to the speakers at around 95db (I set 7W per channel). Is that the sound which I will be getting with full volume? Also, will clipping be found at that point or can the speakers be damaged, possibly? I usually listen at more moderate levels, but I'd like to know how exactly I should interpret the finding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.