Treble range : compression driver vs others

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good, but still more than a magnitude higher than an AMT!

Sure, but the AMT's directivity is strongly frequency dependent, which IMHO is much worse for the "sound quality" than that of your average CD+horn which has a more constant directivity type of response. Driver distortion around 0.5% is pretty much average, and expected.

Nothing can compete with compression drivers for the detail and dynamics of live sound. Use equalizer APO to make the FR razor flat, easy solution to honk and treble roll off.

Horns, at least mine, seem better suited to listening from a distance. They have a more forward aggressive sound due to the limited off axis response. Even a constant directivity design has in fact LESS dispersion than a typical dome. Most people in most rooms will find too much direct sound fatiguing.

Horns do better in larger more reverberant spaces where they cut through the reflections, something like an abandoned factory would sound good with horns.

Last edited:
In short, to do HF right, then use a Fostex or similar super tweeter horn and save the 1" for lower treble and a larger driver for the critical mids

IMHO, THIS is the way to go.
"Integration" issues at super-tweeter frequencies are overblown. The human auditory system loses phase locking above approx. 4-5kHz, and all that's needed for proper integration (subjectively) is to achieve a smooth transition frequency response-wise.

Marco

To me the upside of the dome is the ease of implementation. It has a flatter response, and is easier to pair with a cone, with a simple passive filter.
They also are east to make sound "polite".

I don't like polite, I like dynamic.

A compression driver is much harder to get right. It needs a ton of EQ to get flat, it can be harsh if not made correctly, and it depends as much on the horn, as it does itself.

A compression driver is much more dynamic, lively, and real sounding to me.
When done right.

Ribbon's can be good, but can also go towards the polite side. For some reason the builders that I have heard, have not implemented them in a fashion that is generally favorable to me.

Agreed all the way.

how about the waveguide loaded ribbons?

Maybe, the problem is the difference in the vertical vs horizontal. I was looking at parts express the other day and not a single ribbon had the vertical off axis response published. But I suspect that the best results would be to cross low with a really high end ribbon that can handle it, or cross high where are ears are less sensitive to dispersion issues. Some speakers do break the rules and still sound good. There isn't a whole lot in the top octave anyways.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.