Transmission Line drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
coloradosound said:
What is the purpose of the baffle with holes between drivers?
What would be the effect of moving the woofers down lower
and shortenng the baffle?

The holey brace couples the drivers together so that you get active vibration cancellation. Very important.

The drivers are where they are to cancel the 1st undesirable pipe harmonic. This means you can get away with less stuffing and realize more bass. If you move the drivers the line won't perform as well.

If you are going to use 4 drivers, you could mount them above & below each other, with the middle point between the drivers at the centre of the 2 driver version.

dave

Well,
Weather is finally getting nice enough here in Colorado
to do this. I aquired 4 more drivers now for a total of
twelve and am thinking about doing 6 per cab now!
I think I will do the P-P that Dave suggested now as
trying to do 6 per baffle will be huge! I was also thinking
of adding mass to 4 drivers per cabinet and leaving two
per cab original to stagger resonance. Any thoughts?

Transmissionline trouble

Dear forum members,

I am in a bit of a pickle right now, ive made a pair of massive granite transmissionline speakers that look Great but sound shitty...

i wonder why, im using 2 fullrange drivers on one housing a double folded transmissionline tuned at the driver's Resonance frequency, 42 Hz. but it still sounds very un linear ( big differences in bass response at around 50 to 300 HZ.

Im not going to contunue to use these cheapy tannoy clones as they simply do not sound good, nyther in high response as in low response.

i would like to change them for fostex drivers or somthing suitable that is not crazy expensive.

i do really like the looking of my housing, and will be making a new housing from granite. i like the concept of having 2X 6.5" drivers it makes the housing not too wide and slender.

can anyone help me with the math on this? im a total retard in mathematics, i need somone to help me learn the right way of designing, ive read the king's methode with his match calc software but i dont think i can manage this on my own and as i have just finished one beautifully useless speaker... i want to be sure THIS time :bawling:

Thanks in advance

Arjen Helder

Granite TML Photo

Here is a photo of the housing, i also made a 4" one, that one sounds really good for 10 Euro per pair! ( tannoy clone drivers )

the housings are made in my friends factory where i have spend the last weekend with the workers making the panels myself.

Oh im tired right now. im glad that its not my daily job.

Attachments

• tml small.jpg
    tml small.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 313
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.