TPA3116D2 Amp

OK, you have the board at hand, I only thought of this maybe the cause for just one channel working. Many Chinese boards just copy the schematic in the data sheet 1:1
In fact I have Chinese boards that can be driven by a balanced signal or with one phase to ground single ended.
Must be another fault with your installation.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Aiyima - looks like this.
IMG_8541.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I believe the amp is going into protection mode for some reason. When I connected the speaker outs to the subwoofer's high voltage inputs in parallel with the main speakers, one side of the amp quit working as well. Weird.

The high level input of a sub generally does not have a floating mass, this has certainly caused the premature death of one channel...:headbash::smash:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Jan, but how would the potentiometer control the voltage to the subwoofer line out? Is there a link to filter board you are suggesting?
Hi Mike,

Any one of these will work: https://nl.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-low-pass-filter-subwoofer.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.search.0
Connected in parallel to the stereo input of your amp it'll provide a mono line level signal to drive your subwoofer.
I needs a power supply, depeding on which model you choose, either 12-0-12V DC, or 12V AC.

Regards, Jan.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll go back to splitting the output RCA's from my streamer to the amp and to the subwoofer. I'll control the volume using a remote for the streamer so that the voltage levels to the main speakers and subwoofer always match. I sometimes spend too much time trying to figure out why one solution doesn't work instead of using a work around.

Mike

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, like the TPA6120A2. Very nice Class AB headphone amp chip with insane slew rate.
This premade board will get you going pretty quick - just provide a small 10VA trafo with dual secondaries.

Blast from the past, I just ran across this old photo as I was cleaning up my hard drive. I built a TPA3118 with point to point wiring before cheap Chinese boards were available. This was about 10 years ago.

1705382066095.png

1705382080722.png

It was my main amp in the beginning for a while until I got my hands on DUG’s PCB for the TPA3116.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think you might hear some high freq hash when using Class D for headphones. Having non zero DC offset for sensitive voice coils and requiring balanced separate lines to each can causes some complications. One mistake - and turn on thump from TPA3116 can instantly fry your voice coil. I do not recommend pursuing this when TPA6120A2 chip is infinitely superior in every way for a HPA.

$2.29ea at Mouser and thousands in stock.

IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0425.jpeg

Hi.I have this version of tpa3116d2
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...martRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Is it ok to leave subwoofer output unconnected and work only 2 channels? Will it damage the sub output? ( i have irs2092 2x500w amp, i did not connect the outputs and it smelled and after that i read outputs should not be left unconnected)
As I can see from the back side of the board and the "choice" ;) "Other chip" the chips are SOAP-16 meaning "domestic professional chip" rebaged as TPA3116D2 with the heat contacting surface at the bottom side of the chip. I have an amplifier with this chip (probably the CS8673E - NOT a bad one) but you have to do your homework to listen clear not screaming "hies".
For 8 Ohm drivers worked for me with 22nH ( marked as 220) and replacement of the ceramic bootstrap capacitors (4 pcs for stereo) with non-polarity MUSE (Nichicon) 1μF/50V . During test I left many times one of the outputs "open" and nothing bad happen (Supply Voltage 19.2VDC, A laptop brick) but "that surgery" is very tricky to left the cooper tracks "as they should be"

Elias

Reactions: 1 user
Oh I did not know that they use another chip ( I saw some versions in last days they make selection original chip and domestic chip ) If it sound as good as original chip it is no problem for me :) I connected all outputs ( PTFE speaker cables very thick so it looks bad now sorry but they do not touch eachother lol) and sound is good now with 20v 3a Topping adapter. There is no problem.
When listening class d ta2022 I said it sounds good but when switched to an amplifier like Jlh it sounds different and better imo.
Now it is playing 2+1 but there is too much cables. I should build something on the back of the my woofer towers ,it is better for waf. It will also be a 2.2 system and system should be altogether with crossovers and be small as possible

Attachments

• 20240127_204215.jpg
    20240127_204215.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20240127_203404.jpg
    20240127_203404.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited: