TPA3116D2 Amp

Actually I fixed it. Sort of. The 1800uf cap was on the verge of giving up without any obvious signs.

The SMPS whine was getting more obvious last night so I replaced it with a 2200uF YXG... ironically the same cap series as before but... was the 1800uF running in spec or out of spec? or was it fake...

It is directly attached to the inputs but... the amp has a full differential opamp on the input of both channels. It has no problem from a weak source even but the buzz is probably due to loose wiring?

I'm not sure.
I indeed dit some soldering to connect the wires to RCA connectors with some 'loose wires' as a result. If this is the reason how to avoid this?

Well, you were right. The CSR8635's equalizer is not being used.

As annotated on a stock pic, one of the caps on the balance/single ended conversion is not the same size as the other three (CN Quality). I measured on the side with same size caps. Up past 10K Hz, there is a jump in dB only at the power output. Not sure what causes it. I saw it on a DVM and the O-scope.

All in all, easier for most to increase the cap sizes to reduce the HP issues than reprogram the CSR's equalizer.

Great job!!

Weird that you got such a big spike, resonance, core saturation??

I agree that it might be easier to change the caps on a board if you´re only going to do this once. But I would recommend buying a programmer, as you can do a lot of cool stuff like changing the name, edit sounds and create different button events and change the DSP settings. Might be a little more advanced, but you are essentially learning to use a program. If anyone are interested in learning more, go to this youtuber. He has a lot of great info on using the programmer and getting started with the CSR programming softwares.

Noob question again.. as I'm considering building these speakers at one point:
Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente

Would my tpa3116d2 amp work with these speakers (low/moderate volume), or would it be better to use my spare Onkyo tx nr636 amp to drive these?

I don't quite grasp yet how to figure that out myself from the specs :/
As you own both; you tell us :D
When both sound good, it comes down to personal preference what sounds best. You have to listen to it.

As you own both; you tell us :D
When both sound good, it comes down to personal preference what sounds best. You have to listen to it.

My tpa3116d2 amp is still under construction, and the Omnes Audio 3/8 speakers are still on my "want to build, wife has other priorities for the moment" list ;)

What factors determine whether a certain speaker design can be driven well by a certain amp?

Last edited:
My tpa3116d2 amp is still under construction, and the Omnes Audio 3/8 speakers are still on my "want to build, wife has other priorities for the moment" list ;)

What factors determine whether a certain speaker design can be driven well by a certain amp?

impedance, impedance curve, efficiency

often more than not design can impact impedance curves making it sound funny with some amps and on those with loads of swing and current output can overcome the problems... that shouldn't have existed

Hi,

I've got the same board as in post #3913 and I am hoping to use it to drive two subwoofers (W5-1138SMF - 5" Paper Subwoofer - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD.). The system will have an active LR crossover at line level that will send everything below about 200hz to the tpa3116. Could anyone suggest mods?

I was going to feed it with 22 volts from a large torroidal transformer, put some big ZLG caps on the powersupply, 5uF polypropylene caps on the input, 220X7R caps on bootstrap, new 10uF coils, and set the amplification to 20dB. I'm not really sure what to do with the output filters, any ideas?

Also: where do people put the oscon capacitors, I've seen the discussed but I'm just not sure which pins they are on.

Thanks!!!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp-post3993862.html

Hi,

I've got the same board as in post #3913 and I am hoping to use it to drive two subwoofers (W5-1138SMF - 5" Paper Subwoofer - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD.). The system will have an active LR crossover at line level that will send everything below about 200hz to the tpa3116. Could anyone suggest mods?

I was going to feed it with 22 volts from a large torroidal transformer, put some big ZLG caps on the powersupply, 5uF polypropylene caps on the input, 220X7R caps on bootstrap, new 10uF coils, and set the amplification to 20dB. I'm not really sure what to do with the output filters, any ideas?

Also: where do people put the oscon capacitors, I've seen the discussed but I'm just not sure which pins they are on.

Thanks!!!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp-post3993862.html

First you need a board with full wave rectified DC before the amp board, the oscons.

If you want to replace the caps with oscons, try to buy panasonic oscons instead. Sanyo oscons (the old ones) are just ecaps with a different electrolyte rather than a true polymer cap but then again, higher voltage (25 is a bit too close! 22V is THIRTY DC volts after the rectifier more or less and it's beyond recommend operating voltage which doesn't guarantee proper operation at all so 35V oscons are going to be quite expensive)

Depends on your setup, it probably isn't safe for the chip with that tiny heatsink to run 4 ohms or at 24v with 100uH either. with 220uH it'll be good for 4 and 8 ohms

Hi DJDestiny,

I was going to rectify and then put 5A regulator (LM338T) with large caps on either side. That will feed into the 10 caps on the board, there is also a small cap right at the chip input.

I thought oscons are best for digital power and zlg's are best on analogue power? That is what I learned recapping a CD player.

If I go with 220uH coils, should I adjust the cap on the filter?

Thanks for the advice.

Henry

Hi DJDestiny,

I was going to rectify and then put 5A regulator (LM338T) with large caps on either side. That will feed into the 10 caps on the board, there is also a small cap right at the chip input.

I thought oscons are best for digital power and zlg's are best on analogue power? That is what I learned recapping a CD player.

If I go with 220uH coils, should I adjust the cap on the filter?

Thanks for the advice.

Henry

If you're talking about polymer caps (the ones that really make a difference) they are low ESR and have very high ripple current but as for digital or analog power its false. If anything polymer tantalum caps are even better but again like polymer ecaps they have limited voltage ranges.

Most of the time blindly doing "audiophile mods" won't do any help but just harm your wallet, the issue with wet ecaps are just... higher esr and they tend to form a filter that makes their filtering a bit less useless than they should, that's why parallel caps work so well because their ESR is lower compared to one or 2 big caps and partly because of dimension limitation.

Usually though these cheap boards will come with really crappy caps so it won't hurt to give it good caps. using stuff like black gates are just a waste of money.

Most 3116 amps for 2.0 or 2.1 will have 220uH inductors for the 2 main channels so that's no worry. It will probably come with 220uh and the right cap filter you won't need to make any changes.