TPA3116D2 Amp

I see cuts in groundplane topside too befor inductors, so chip and decoupling entirely on source ground, outputfilter and big electrolytic have powersupply ground ? No connection at all?
Adding a little 2nd harmonic could be nice. Are the thd plots with sanwu (clone?) or with the bigger boards already?
The sanwu here has 6 times (or more) higher poweroutput than groupbuy (mono, 3 different versions) 3116/18 boards or any chinese version I tried, on hybrid electrostatic loudspeakers with very low dipping/dropping impedance. Difference is very far from small, chinese audiobah/ac for example trips protection at 1/16th of sanwu poweroutput. I never tried YJbb, that already seems to struggle with 4 ohm speaker.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
My background is high reliabilty mil/automotive and extreme environment oil-gas. Screw terminal connections are not allowed.
-

It would maybe (I have my doubts) be correct this way: Screw terminal connections are not allowed in high reliabilty mil/automotive and extreme environment oil-gas. Even if this would be 100% true, this is audio and soldering straight to boards does not seem the ideal approach in those environments as well....

I am practically sure soldering is not allowed in such environments as I have yet to encounter this phenomenon in my profession. In industrial environments often, if not almost always, crimped plugs are used AFAIK. Using those would give best of both worlds, also in audio. Point is the need for the right crimping tool. Soldering wires straight to boards is not common in any quality device. It was standard at least 30 years ago to do so. It gives the famous DIY feeling especially when needing to repair or modify stuff, certainly when PCB tracks peel off from mechanical stress or desoldering wires.

Audio is hardly an extreme environment (except for opinions :) ).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The sanwu here has 6 times (or more) higher poweroutput than groupbuy (mono, 3 different versions) 3116/18 boards or any chinese version I tried, on hybrid electrostatic loudspeakers with very low dipping/dropping impedance. Difference is very far from small, chinese audiobah/ac for example trips protection at 1/16th of sanwu poweroutput. I never tried YJbb, that already seems to struggle with 4 ohm speaker.

Hi Irribeo, are you saying those small Sanwu boards are superior to other boards ? What is the reason ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Quality connectors can be bought everywhere. Quality tools are hard to find if one does not want the Ebay stuff. I found the original Molex tools (used but in very good shape) for 20 Euro a piece. There is no excuse for bad crimping. When the right tools are used it is only the person crimping that can be blamed. If that is you yourself you know who to address to :D Still not a valid reason to justify soldering wires to boards. I went to school very long ago and even then it was already taught to be bad practice. Same with soldering and then cutting, mediocre mounting of boards etc.

Last edited:
Not correct: military equipment often uses screw terminal blocks; there are several MIL-STD concerning these components.

Only a full circle loop lug requiring removal of screw. ( no open spade)
That omits the blocks you were referencing.

The customers ultimately decide anyway.

many attempts have been made to use off-the-shelf commercial equipment Aka COTs) with side blocks etc. they have been specified when the permanent equipment was under design so only a temporary install but that is an exception

these installations were generally scrapped eventually do to reliability issues remember these environments are extreme. vibration , temperature cycling and shock physical abuse.

Those terminal blocks can work in an installation that is not mobile and permanent.

I see cuts in groundplane topside too befor inductors, so chip and decoupling entirely on source ground, outputfilter and big electrolytic have powersupply ground ? No connection at all?
Adding a little 2nd harmonic could be nice. Are the thd plots with sanwu (clone?) or with the bigger boards already?

Here is link to info on dominant 2nd 3rd or mix of both. SS but works same on the 6sn7.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/290026-simple-discrete-sziklai-pre.html#post4684522

Im driving two kef uniQ q10 in parallel from the $6 bd.
The uniQ are 6ohms so I have a 3ohm load.

The sound quality is astounding.

If somebody is testing at bench one PBTL 3116 board, I’m asking him to hook an oscilloscope probe between ground and one of the two outputs and watch the waveform (with a sine wave at the input).
Doing this with two different PBTL boards, I saw, for each of them, a very distorted waveform, despite the differential output voltage was clean (distortion is more evident at frequency higher than 10kHz); it seems like the harmonics generated by one of the half-bridges were cancelled by the harmonics produced by the other half-bridge.
I’ve never seen something like this in BTL 3116 boards.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Why ? You know what the best connection is don't you ? I have my doubts at the quality of those specific connectors blocks (probably ferro or famous chinese "any-metal mix") but Phoenix ones are better than soldering to pins. More flexible too and less problems with mechanical stress.

So quality screw terminals are better than a soldered connection? (Honest question.)

I always prefer screw terminals for the simple reason they are more convenient than busting out the soldering iron whenever I want to change something (which is fairly often given this particular hobby).

I find convenience and performance to be mutually exclusive more often than not.

Reactions: 1 user
After a while, I took a search on ebay and found some new tpa3116 mono boards I have never seen before. Any info about this board? which is $5 dollar, has nice heatsink and a huge capacitor.

DC 12V-24V TPA3116 Mono Channel Digital Power Audio Amplifier Board BTL Out CA | eBay
attachment.php

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 585