TPA3116D2 Amp

Hi,

is your schematic of this amp done? would be very useful for me.

Thanks,

T

The cut-off is about 72Hz, it uses a Sallen Key filter with 2 x 22k resistors and 2 x 100n capacitors.
I am in the process of drawing up a schematic for the standard version of the amplifier. There is no high-pass filter in the L & R channels as their input is taken straight from the volume control. The sub channel is derived from the output the volume control via a summing amplifier.
The improved one looks to be basically he same circuit layout apart from the toroidal output inductors and larger decoupling capacitors. The input sockets have been mounted on the board together with a switch.

Each driver needs to be in an isolated chamber by itself.

In a 3-way speaker the woofer's sound pressure will be imparted on the midrange's cone distorting its sound. So the mid-range needs its own space. Most tweeters are self contained so they are not an issue.

Two woofers sharing the same space come into issues with the differences between the L-R channel program. Say a bass guitar is mostly recorded on the R channel while a piano is mostly recorded on the L channel. The difference between these signals will cause each woofer to impart its sound pressure on the other.

I don't think you want to angle the speakers out. I don't know of any speaker modeling s/w that supports that alignment. And, if there was a benefit, many commercial offerings would likely have done it.

That's why I said that each driver should have its own chamber, so the internal waves don't mix and interfere. Actually there's no need to build dedicated chamber for each loudspeaker, there are drivers that have a back enclosed. I don't know why you thought that thing about angling the directions of the loudspeakers, is not it like you have to modify anything, you simply are orienting their straight face to certain degree, so they are not "looking" straight at the front, but a little to the left and right, separating the stereo waves and so having a more remarkable stereo sound effect. This can be done thanks to the angle form of the board that has the mounting hole, you don't have to bend and or modify the speaker or something like that.

Attachments

• stereo.jpg
    stereo.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:
That's why I said that each driver should have its own chamber, so the internal waves don't mix and interfere. Actually there's no need to build dedicated chamber for each loudspeaker, there are drivers that have a back enclosed. I don't know why you thought that thing about angling the directions of the loudspeakers, is not it like you have to modify anything, you simply are orienting their straight face to certain degree, so they are not "looking" straight at the front, but a little to the left and right, separating the stereo waves and so having a more remarkable stereo sound effect. This can be done thanks to the angle form of the board that has the mounting hole, you don't have to bend and or modify the speaker or something like that.

Stereo topic:
Two speakers pointing in two different direction won't give you the stereo effect.
Stereo effect only appears with the sound coming from different directions towards the point where listener is.

2.1 topic:
In general bass needs much more power to reproduced than high notes.
One low-mid woofer has a hard time to play the levels that one high sensitivity tweeter or even a quite loud fr-speaker reprouces from only a few watts coming from the amplifier.
Then take into account that outdoors bass is much more complicated than it is indoors where one or two small subwoofers can shake a whole living room.
You will always have to make compromises with bass outdoors:
Be happy with 60Hz flat.
Carry around bigger enclosures and get 50Hz.
You want it louder: get bigger amps and carry much more batteries.

Fullrange speakers are a nice start for creating boomboxes.
Those Visaton FRS8 are good quality.
An additional subwoofer does not make any sense to me.
If there should be a big woofer, i'd change the whole concept.
But we cannot recommend PA-stuff to a guy asking for a compact boombox.

Hi, a question about this chip. Given the fact that it seems there are not tpa3116 amplifier boards with bluetooth in a mono factor (only stereo), can i just use one channel, and leave the other channel without any load? Anyway it will demand to mix the two chnnels from the bluetooth module, so then a full signal is injected in a single channel, i found this more convenient than buyin mono amps and bluetooth module separately, i need this for small power sound, around 15w or 20w.

nicasiox2;48784 A question about the capacitors of cheap boards. I read that most of them are defective said:
A friend of mine bought a board like this:
TPA3116D2 2X50W DC 5-24V Digital Amplifier Board Class D Dual Channel Stereo AMP | eBay
With a simple cheap SMPS. The noise was awful when input is plugged but no music is playing. We changed the caps to Rubycon YXA and it went down significantly. So noise is one thing, and reliability/safety is another. I've read that some are swelling within 2 weeks of use, anyway I always change any caps that came with the board with a decent Panasonic or something.