TPA3116D2 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This arrived.
YJ Assembled TPA3116 Class D Amplifier Board 50W 50W Green PCB | eBay

The Diana Krall test, not my favourite, just good recording and tough woman voice, is
much better then that crap Breezer 2.1 amp.
Not better than my Kingrex TA2020 but its very good!

Now i waiting for the banana boat from China with 3 pairs TPA3118.
Then I came back and report if its an hype or not.
:)

Are you referring to the Sanwu 3118 PBTL monoblock? It's a great amp - one of the best. Even better with gain reduced to 26dB.

Last edited:
That board require modifications to make it sound good and eliminate turn on/off pop. Here is the wiki to do that. The board layout and components make changes easy to do but may not be worth the hassle.

You can get boards that sounds good stock. Here is a few.

YJ Green, suppose to have anti-pop. No first hand experience.

Dual Chip 3116, sounds good stock, no pop when amp is turn on/off with source connected.

SMAKN 3116, newest version has some mods already there.

Or try this sanwu 3118. You will need 2 for stereo, but sounds very good stock.

I would go for the sanwu 3118, maybe the dual chip. I do remember reading here that there is a bluetooth 3116 board that is somewhat decent. It is pages back though.

Hi All.

Does anyone have a Breeze audio 2.1?
HiFiDIY Breeze Audio K1 HiFi TPA3116D2 Mini 2.1 Channel Big Power Digital Amplifier - Professional Audio Store - Shenzhenaudio.com

Could you tell me what the POTs do? does it have a crossover?

When I connected mine, it seemes to cut the sub/speakers when i had some high volume parts (watching a movie) I decided to unplug just in case.

PS: using it with a laptop power supply

That link seems vastly over-priced.

For the "Breeze" boards, get the no tone controls 2.0 version....
£10 for the board alone or £20+ for a cased amp.... You have to supply a laptop SMPS or similar, around 16-19V will do.

Or get a better amp-in-a-box with a PSU....
http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/smsl-s...fi-air-core-inductance-desktop-amplifier.html

SMSL SA60 is available all over Amazon too.

Last edited:
The sanwu 3118 i can see the volume change knobs. And what is Mute, a switch??

There is no volume pot, you would have to use a 50k stereo potentiometer if you would like volume control. You could control volume via a preamp or just the source though.

The mute pins are for putting the amplifier on standby. Just connect a spst switch to those pins if you want that functionality. If not, do not worry about those pins. The amp would still work.

Also, here is the thread talking about that bluetooth board the is supposedly decent.

Thanks to all who responded.
I actually already have the Breeze 2.1 amp, and unfortunately it does have some issues.
PS: it doesn't have tone control, but xover setting

the pop while on/off, and nasty spark when plugged live.
Does anyone knows how to solve these?

I'm also considering reboxing it and adding a preamp with a remote and DAC, as my TV has very bad stepping in it's volume control, any recommendations?

PS: I wouldn't mind buying a new amp if someone has recommendations, but the two i found with remote and DAC, seem to be 2.0 only Topping TP32EX and SMSL Q5, I'd miss a sub with my tiny fostex fullrange

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded.
I actually already have the Breeze 2.1 amp, and unfortunately it does have some issues.
PS: it doesn't have tone control, but xover setting

the pop while on/off, and nasty spark when plugged live.
Does anyone knows how to solve these?

I'm also considering reboxing it and adding a preamp with a remote and DAC, as my TV has very bad stepping in it's volume control, any recommendations?

PS: I wouldn't mind buying a new amp if someone has recommendations, but the two i found with remote and DAC, seem to be 2.0 only Topping TP32EX and SMSL Q5, I'd miss a sub with my tiny fostex fullrange

The module in the Breeze looks identical to the TPA3116 board I have.

s-l500.jpg

I believe the spark is a manifestation of the DC connector. I had removed the DC coupling cap so its not the cap charging up from 0 volts. The middle knob is not a sub cross over, but rather, the sub volume. Virtually all these 2.1 boards have a fixed sub crossover determined by the capacitors between the op-amps (and some SMT resistors). It's a 2nd order LP sallen-key active filter (standard design). The F3 for my sub LP was set at 107hz with a Q of .7 (Butterworth damping). I'm using it in a 2.1 boom-box and changed the caps to get the filter up to 876hz with a Q of .41 (over damped based on woofer characteristics).

Other than the DC connector issue, I really like my board. It is dead quiet when the source is paused. There is no turn on/off pop whether plugging in the DC connector (powered before or after plug in) or using the front switch.

There is a similar board ...

s-l1600.jpg

This board is the same basic design, just more DC coupling caps. However, if you go back a few pages, the user, "Solve", had several issues including wrong components populated on the board. That's something you need to be aware of as all these boards at ~20 on eBay come from different suppliers. Solve had two 47K SMT resistors populated with 4.7K in the sub LP filter effective raising the sub filter's cut-off by a factor of 10. You may want to cross-check the component values against the silkscreen numbers.

Solve also didn't like the sound of this board. He wound up going with another 2.0 board.

Having said that, my hearing is shot, nothing much above 1.5Khz. So I can't comment on the high-end of my board's capabilities. On the low end, there is an active audio frequency band-pass filter (on the sub channel only, huh). My board had the HP F3 set to 34 hz, so you lose a little low end when using a true sub. I found that issue a benefit to control X-max on my woofer in the low end.

Both F3s (cutoffs) for the HP and LP sub filters are easily modified by changing some through-hole caps (as I did with the LP filter).

I've tested my board about 10 times for more than an hour each time running max volume at 26volts. It's proved reliable in that regard as I finish construction on my project. A final note, my board does not have mounting holes.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mike

Last edited: