TPA3116D2 Amp

Hi All.
My Breeze audio amp seems sometimes to cut the output from the speakers when there is too much bass coming from the sub.
I suspect the ohm rating on the sub might not be right (It's a dual coil, so I can adjust a few different ways)

What ohm rating do you recommend for the sub, or is it something else alltogether?

I have some interest in the TPA-3116.

Has anyone tried the Sure TPA-3116 monoblocks?
How do they compare to the normal 2 channel amps?

Just build two monoblocks after using a stereo 3116 for a while now:

DSC_0218_zpslwxrscwy.jpg

Can't really comment on the comparison between mono/stereo board since I changed many other factors (I went from toroid to smps and a complete new build). So if I notice more control or clearer details I cannot be sure which caused this change. I can say that it sounds great to my ears :)

Few more pics here

Just build two monoblocks after using a stereo 3116 for a while now:

DSC_0218_zpslwxrscwy.jpg

Can't really comment on the comparison between mono/stereo board since I changed many other factors (I went from toroid to smps and a complete new build). So if I notice more control or clearer details I cannot be sure which caused this change. I can say that it sounds great to my ears :)

Few more pics here

Looks very nice. Would you care to share the specifics on the power supplies and cases? I like the way it all fit in one unit.

The bootstraps and the input audio caps are placed too far away from the chip.. I guess you'd need to add snubbers on it from the start. I wonder if all those psu caps can overcome the hiss problem that occurs when the caps are placed so far off the analogue power pin?

You feel left channel Wiener GMarsh hisses significantly more than right channel ?

I noticed that what I wrote earlier can be misinterpreted. There is only 1 analogue power pin (AVCC pin 17, used for both left and right channel). Before we put the RC mod circuit on that pin I soldered the Oscon cap directly to it and lowered the hiss that way. Placing them further away gives me more hiss on my boards. Thats why I advise people to buy amps with psu caps close to pin 17. Wrong placement of of bootstraps and input caps gave me treble sibiliance. Of course I might be wrong about the hiss but I like study new tpa3116 layouts from time to time:) I am always in search for that perfect cheapo amp^^.

Last edited:
Yes audio inputcaps Wiener, left vs right ch. PCB layout seems to differ for left and right, just like TI3118evm btw. Small decoupling is very close, layout doesn't seem funny like some that have 1 bootstrap past inductor and really big distance and TH, these are close compared to those "drunk" ampboards :)

When the snubbers and bootstraps are placed correctly I think that the audio input caps placement is less critical. The sibiliance on the YJ red board disappeared when I put the snubbers on, and moved the bootstraps closer to the chip. That sibiliance weren't as noticable with all speakers, but is was really bad on my Xtz 99.26.
I listened to the "Wiener" from Gmarsh and you can barely hear the hiss at 5 cm from the speakers. Its the same level in both speakers(87db sensitivity btw) and with a china power brick. It's the most quiet amp of all the boards I've bought.

Danzz, I have a TDA7492 amp board, only with larger inductors (from stock). It sounds good in my ears:) It generates more heat than the tpa3116 and the heatsink becomes a little warmer than luke warm. I like the fact that it doesn't have any large flaws in the sound stock. It is slightly more powerful than the tpa3116 and I'm very happy with it in my garage:)

Last edited:
Danzz, I have a TDA7492 amp board, only with larger inductors (from stock). It sounds good in my ears:) It generates more heat than the tpa3116 and the heatsink becomes a little warmer than luke warm. I like the fact that it doesn't have any large flaws in the sound stock. It is slightly more powerful than the tpa3116 and I'm very happy with it in my garage:)

Thanks for the comment, but Im looking for a mono amp for little voxel subwoofer, if this amp can be bridged as is announce in the Aliexpress, to 100w at 4ohms mono... For 6$, I might give it a try.... I did check the data sheet but, I didnt find any referente at it for Boeing able to be set in Btl Mode... Thats why I asking here...

Edit, cause I found thisthread where saturnus answers What I Was looking for...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Danzz,
If you do bridge it let me know how that works out as I may need to do same to drive a bass unit in a FAST. They probably mean PBTL mode. The main thing is for $6 how can you go wrong? Maybe we should start a new TDA7492 thread? Or maybe one exists already. It takes 3 weeks for Aliexpress items to ship but one can't complain about free shipping from China.

Just found this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/269220-tda7492-mono-bridge-how.html

Last edited: