TPA3116D2 Amp

Passlabs camp amp blows the TPA3116D2 away! I finally have an amp that is sounding like a real amp. Considering the fact that if you manage to drill and screw the board to a heatsink, the camp amp is a drop in replacement for the TPA3116D2. I used the sampe 19v 4A brick and then got another one for stereo.

Downside: The camp amp has two-three times lower output. I would struggle in a party using the 95dB sensitive speakers. A great trick from Mr Pass to get us to go for the big amps, because the sound is really addictive. But I can't afford that electrical bill so I will stay with this amp for a while.

Next experiment: Since the TPA3116D2 has pretty bad mids and treble in comparison, I could biamp and use the TPA3116D2 on my midwoofers. The woofers are more forgiving and just thirsts for pure power with none of that fancy class A sound.

What Chinese Pass-clone board did you buy on Ebay?

I am using the black/blue board from the example in the TPA3116D2 wiki. I have many mods. A panasonic 330uF power cap, four bourns inductors 10uH, four Mundorf 3.3uF input caps for better bass and a little cleaner signal (no input trafo yet), four X7R 220uF, snubber mod, and I set it to the lowest gain setting. I used a no name led light brick from ebay at 19.5V and 4.xxA. I found the PCB on ebay, search for "5w amplifier pcb". It was SOLD OUT on diyaudio for some strange reason. Cost 10 euro, then I stuffed it myself, but there are also assembled ones . Just look for it. It does not use the pass name for legal issues.
But I think you should stuff it yourself and get known quality components. Plus you will learn a lot which was the intention of Nelson Pass.

Last edited:
I am using the black/blue board from the example in the TPA3116D2 wiki. I have many mods. A panasonic 330uF power cap, four bourns inductors 10uH, four Mundorf 3.3uF input caps for better bass and a little cleaner signal (no input trafo yet), four X7R 220uF, snubber mod, and I set it to the lowest gain setting. I used a no name led light brick from ebay at 19.5V and 4.xxA. I found the PCB on ebay, search for "5w amplifier pcb". It was SOLD OUT on diyaudio for some strange reason. Cost 10 euro, then I stuffed it myself, but there are also assembled ones . Just look for it. It does not use the pass name for legal issues.
But I think you should stuff it yourself and get known quality components. Plus you will learn a lot which was the intention of Nelson Pass.

Any pics?

Is it fair to compare a 5W Class A amplifier with a 30W class D amplifier? I use a 8W JLH1969 Class A amp in my active setup which is a lot better than most of my Class D amps... except it struggles with anything that isnt a 100+dB sensitive compression driver, and uses 65W of power at the wall consistently.

Perfectly fair if both amps are capable of driving the speakers to the same level. Ultimately, assuming adequate sound levels can be produced, I believe any comparison is perfectly fair if the only criteria being judged against is sound quality.

Of course both source and speakers may affect the perceived outcome in that there may be better synergy between components for one amp as opposed to the other for whatever reason.

When I compared a similarly moded blue/black 3116 (although had linear power supply) to my Mini Aleph (around 12watts class A) both listeners preferred the 3116 for its dynamics and clarity as well as cleaner bass. The Mini Aleph and camp amp do have similarities tho I have never built/heard the latter. The Mini Aleph has been my reference since I built it 5 or so years ago and I was shocked that I preferred the 3116 so its interesting that Rewind prefers the class A amp to the 3116 - makes me wonder if its a case of better matching the speakers/source. Too many variables. I will say that I was quite clear in my preference but I would not say the 3116 blew away the Mini Aleph, they are both very good amps.

Last edited:
Passlabs camp amp blows the TPA3116D2 away! I finally have an amp that is sounding like a real amp. Considering the fact that if you manage to drill and screw the board to a heatsink, the camp amp is a drop in replacement for the TPA3116D2. I used the sampe 19v 4A brick and then got another one for stereo.

Downside: The camp amp has two-three times lower output. I would struggle in a party using the 95dB sensitive speakers. A great trick from Mr Pass to get us to go for the big amps, because the sound is really addictive. But I can't afford that electrical bill so I will stay with this amp for a while.

Next experiment: Since the TPA3116D2 has pretty bad mids and treble in comparison, I could biamp and use the TPA3116D2 on my midwoofers. The woofers are more forgiving and just thirsts for pure power with none of that fancy class A sound. All I need is another brick.
What speakers do You have?

i have a danzz-board i want to use for a single 4 ohm subwoofer.
i did the following mods so far:

- removed input caps on the left input side, shorted their pads to ground and bridged the ouput terminals to get pbtl
- switched the input decoupling caps on the right side to 3.3 uF mkp caps
- switched the 1000 uF power caps to 220 uF low esr caps and added 100 nF and 1 nF film caps on the bottom side of the board.

now i have a mono board with better bass-response than stock form.
so far so good.
but the output filters are not ideal (all original parts still on the board, but in parallel).
the active filter i use in front of the board cuts frequencies above ~100Hz.
does it make sense to change the ouput filters?
what would the reasonable values be in my case?

Last edited: