TPA3116 on 1 ohm load

For example, to open the N channel half, you need to apply a voltage to G that is 10V greater than the voltage to S. How are you going to do this using the TPA output?

Was thinking of driving a P-N pair like below or would this mess up things like dead time ?

tpabridge.png

Last edited:
I am running a 3116d2 bridged running a 1 ohm soundstream t5 12 inch sub. i also increased the gain to the 3116 and it has been running 5 years now and it is amazing how much bass it puts out. psu is Efore mpa160 24v 6a

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
the amp has 2 3116's one in stereo one for the sub, so the sub amp must be bridged as it has only one output. driving a 1 ohm load puts .5 ohm on each channel of the one 3116 that drives the sub. playing music on the edge of going into protection it gets hot but not as hot as other amps i have. makes no sense how it works so good. i havent turned it off in 5 years either. passive cooling too.

Reactions: 1 user
Its interesting that they survive at 1 ohm yet .5 ohms.

Im not sure what the benefit is though
1 ohm load is the worst load possible for any amp.
Easier to get voltage not waste so much heat in current.
Distortion be high at 4 ohms yet 2 then 1
ouch

4 ohms loads bother me
anything below it makes me cringe.

point is just build a amp with more voltage
swing

MIne is the 12" T5.122 it has dual 2 ohm vc wired in parallel for 1 ohm rated at 1000wrms . it moves a lot of air through that port. its tuned to 30hz. I can remove the port and add different lengths to tune for any freq. I had this sub hooked up to my old Hafler xl280 (at 4 ohm) and after using the 3116 never went back. I'm sure the distortion is high but I can't tell at sub freq. After 5 years I am still amazed. I think I got the unicorn. I had it running my JL 10w7 at 3 ohm but it just didn't have the same output. It is a sealed enclosure, but I think it works best at 1ohm

Attachments

• 20240414_224600.jpg
    20240414_224600.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: