Tour de France 2012 and Cycle Racing in General

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vinylkid - the few times ive been in a bunch pile up, I've aimed to fall onto some thing soft.
The worst off i ever suffered was on a training ride in the wet, going down hill really quick and unable to slow / make the turn. the force of un-clipping vertically put my leg tendons into shock for about 20mins (after pegging a dry stone wall at 30ish mph) - while i recovered in a bramble bush.
Every thing but my callipers ended up bent, which cost my father a small fortune to replace (campag corsa record delta / early look carbon frame).
how i got out of that one without a broken collar bone or two is beyond me.

crashes

too bad about the pileup(s) today in stage 6. I do not like to see it.
This sport must not become like Nascar where people are waiting to see blood.
The riders have very little protection.

They spend thousands of hours tuning their bodies and it is all gone in a heartbeat.

Since 25 mm. tires are now proven to be faster, I say mandate wider tires.
The bikes are being fitted with weights already to bring them up to 15 lbs.
Why not just add some rubber and make the sport safer for these spectacular
athletes? Better a little more skin on the tires than on the roads.

They spend thousands of hours tuning their bodies and it is all gone in a heartbeat.
A real shame it is.
Since 25 mm. tires are now proven to be faster
I'm not sure I've seen a mass crash caused by narrow tires. It's almost always human error.
I liken the Tour de France post Armstrong to the NBA post Jordan.
Or hockey post Gretzky. Hasn't diminished the sport in the slightest.
Still watch for the scenery though.
Yes, I must agree it's easy to get distracted. My wife watches happily with me and wonders when we're going to France. :)

Im waiting to get the follow on report over here.......didnt get any news of Cav at the end of the show
Damn shame Ryder was caught in the carnage- some nasty rash there. Why his team were not on the front is beyond me
Human error or dropped bidon are the usual culprits for pile ups. There have been pile ups due to tires failing at the wrong moments, tubular road tires these days have a carcase of vectran air-bag material, silk and cotton is still used on the track and by nutters on the road.
Deep carbon rims are getting thicker - better aero in cross winds and a 25mm tire gives more comfort and grip.

Watts, at about 28mph on their own, about 300 - 500w, Sprinting: 40 - 45mph and 1000 - 1300 watts, Time Trial: 400 - 600 and about 35mph.

Back in the day when I was a bicycle commuter I could do (Mountain bike with 85psi 2" slicks) about 25-26mph sustained on my own, Sprint to about 35 (gearing/cadence limited) - the fastest I ever went powered down a slight hill was 40 (Drag/cadence limited, my spin at 130+rpm got really square and I started to bounce). Typically including the stopping for signs and lights (my interval training ;) ) over long distances of city riding I would average 18-20 mph for "fun" rides (not races) of 3+ hours. I had friends who thought I should race but I had a gut and couldn't breathe well on a race bike...

didnt get any news of Cav at the end of the show
The show him in #128. Not sure of any injury.
Damn shame Ryder was caught in the carnage- some nasty rash there. Why his team were not on the front is beyond me
The whole team but one is now injured. Ryder's dream is over.
Human error or dropped bidon
Had to look that up. 'round these parts we call them water bottles. ;)
and by nutters on the road.
Speaking of nutters, did you see that person running beside the peloton with a kid on their shoulders?

Anytime a sport loses it's all time greatest, it is diminished,
I think this part of the statement is wrong.
at least until a replacement comes along.
I think this part is right. Changing of the guard if you will. New opportunities, new doors opened. The spotlight is focused elsewhere.
We'll have to disagree on that point.
I think we probably agree more than we disagree, it might just be semantics.

Cal, my mother has reasonable French....... when I cycle out to visit, I give her my musset, she puts goodies in it, fills my bidon with water and off I go.
Very sad news about Ryder and his team.
I saw the second show with Cav coming in and again, why so far back in the pack?
Schleck and his team have a bit of a task ahead, far from impossible though.
The teams with only one or two team mates left in try and form a 'da corde' with another team with riders missing.
The minimum aim is to finish, 2nd is to pick up World Tour points.

There were punctured lungs, split kidneys and lots of broken bones yesterday.
Cav will recover and maybe get his stage wins, personally I think he lost way too much bulk to be much cop in the sprints, think back two years when Wiggo dropped the lbs..... I still cant reason out why he was so far back in the bunch, given that it was a spring finish.
*unless he'd given up for the day? (bout as likely as England winning the world cup, but one never knows!)
My mother pointed out that the riders have to remove their hands from the bars to 'press to talk' - I for one cant wait till they get rid of radios.

they took the radios away a few years ago for two stages, Spartacus bitched like a kid without a pacifier about it and the peleton went on 'strike'........ till they had to haul in the brake away. Word has it that the 'powers that be' are going to ban radios end of this season or next.
Team radio - is sat on a bike and called a Domestique, so theres no need really.
There was a 'leaning contest' happening seconds before the pile-up, moms watched it on slow-mo several times and reports there was no obvious cause. We shall never know.

Nice to see vroom vroom Froome take the stage and polka jersey, I wonder if he could hold it?
I think last year Wiggo should have gone super dommie for Froome in the Vuelta and he's have taken victory.
Interesting that some of the GC contenders are not all that impressed by Wiggo but totaly failed to do anything on the first real climb once the grenades were dished out.
Joke: Why was F. Schleck off the group?
He was waiting for his brother!

Nice to see vroom vroom Froome take the stage and polka jersey

Made for a very exiting finish.

Interesting that some of the GC contenders are not all that impressed by Wiggo but totaly failed to do anything on the first real climb once the grenades were dished out.

The first hilly stage is always fun, some of the GC's are bound to get caught flat-footed.

Joke: Why was F. Schleck off the group?
He was waiting for his brother!

Good one.:D

jeff

Well, Flat Legged...... there is always a spot of 'De-Conditioning' in the first week, which is the other reason why the teams all take turns on the front to haul gaps down, its all part of fitness gaining.
IMHO Frank S. is out of his depth, at best he's his brothers security blanket.
The team will go no where with him leading through the cols.
I'll put e.£1 on RatshackNissan getting 6th in the team comp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.