Tour de France 2012 and Cycle Racing in General

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sports is rife with performance enhancing drugs. I had a friend in cycling (olympic trials) Said people he knew would go to special "training camps" and come back huge (and fast). Those who weren't juicing were just losing.

At a college I knew of were found vials in the dorm restrooms - these guys had stretchmarks on their forearms...

Lifetime bans and third party tests are the only things likely to work to discourage their use. This business about Lance A. years after the fact is just a waste of money, IMO. Better off rewarding "snitches" with that money if their testimony is corroborated.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
No dope, no fun. This 'clean' Tour is gonna be as 'fun' as an AA meeting. I'd never forget the first time I tried skiing stoned. I forgot about the course and went out of bounds looking for the eagle's nest. I was 50 meters from the top of the mountain and everything suddenly went cloudy and fear gripped me with a hand of stone. Oh man, I've never felt as alive. I really can't describe it. In fact, it was too much: I couldn't cope. I turned back with my tail between my legs. So I can imagine what it must be cycling the Alps with the body full of dope. Balls of steel. Those men were heroes!!! Playing with death. And if you're feeling like moralizing, just stop and think twice. Think about the health risk of mountaineers. And they do it by their own free will. Now try to do that stoned, no, better not. Crazy stuff.

Not the same thing - you didnt put YOUR good name or reputation on the line, or that of a Team, Sponsor (maybe your are a sponsored skier?) and Your country.
Then there's the money.
And the health problems.
You should search for the quotes by David Millar or youtube interviews.
Pantani suffered terribly with derpression after being both warned and banned for drug abuse.......maybe it was his morals got the better of him.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Pantani suffered terribly with derpression after being both warned and banned for drug abuse.......maybe it was his morals got the better of him

Morals? What morals? Morals of the sport? This sport had no morals, just good doctors. Too bad it was the only sport he was good for. Sometimes somebody screwed up and got busted. From hero to villain in one day. That looks to me like a pretty good reason to be depressed about.

These guys had to live junkies' lives. Yeah, junkies cheat; society doesn't like them, you know? So they cheat society, friends and family. Not a pretty life to live I say, and all for what? I pity them.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon" Napoleon

Hehe, lucky for me I've known my boss since school days, his house is 150ft from the shed I work in and he's letting me take 'extended' (1hr+ 30mins) lunch brakes in his place so I can watch the race
Day 5 of the tour.........and only 4 stages run.......what happened?
Indeed, its good to see Ryder up there in the GC, the same for Wiggo, who's admitted he didn't want to win the prologue so as not to attract the media stress - it's gonna be a different story in the next TT though and in the cols, though its a huge pity that Sivtsov had to pack in due to injury, he, Froome and Wiggo would have been spectacular.
Seeing Cav sat in the road looking dazed was not the best thing in the world, but with the team structure this year, the lads got to go out there on his own and earn his crust.
I just finished reading the Sky team posts and it seems there's a bit of flapping going on to the effect that Cav should have had a man there with him. Nothing more that a cut above his eyebrow and a bit of a rashing.
Good job the 3k rule was introduced some years ago.
Even better that the organisers ditched the time bonuses for intermediate sprints, col crossings and end of stage victories this year.

Watts, at about 28mph on their own, about 300 - 500w, Sprinting: 40 - 45mph and 1000 - 1300 watts, Time Trial: 400 - 600 and about 35mph.
When you time trial,on the flat and up to speed, the energy requirement is 'quite' low, on an incline the rider has accelerate before the 'climb' then back off when he/she gets there. going down hill the rider will increase output to 75% of max, the idea is to be just below the point of oxygen deficit in a time trial/ in the initial stages of a break away, sprinting starts at 80% of max output, ramping to 100% (onset of oxygen deficit) then 110% output over the last 150 - 200 meters which is the point of severe depletion, greying out, vomiting, lava blood and lungs
All this depends on the lay of the road.
the best info on power output comes from indoor track racing, the non-slimmed Cavendish has been known to pump out 1600+ watts in the team sprint when he does his jump off the wheel - thats more than some family cars produce.Climbers are a law unto themselves, i dont know what the average output of say Andy Schleck would be on a cat1 climb, rough guess would be 600 - 700 steady state, but the physical dynamics of spinning a low gear lead to heart rates of 160ish/ 90% of the way to oxygen depleation for anything up to 25 miles.

I just did a search in google for Cancellara and it brought up this:
Fabian Cancellara SRM Power data - Tour of Flanders 2010 - YouTube

Its even more interesting with the latest equipment, one of my friends has a system that includes gps, so one can actually see the lay of the road and effort over-laid when downloaded to a pc. the Very best kit available now does not measure effort at the crank or back wheel, but in the pedals axels!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.