Topologies using darlingtons.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have made it like a headphone amp but the original is power amp. You have checked the application note?

The voltage/power limit is not set by the amp but by the transistors.

If you are interested I have also the very original paper by Mr. Alexander. The AN-211 is an edited version with all you want to know... but there is more :nod:

I will also point out that you see different kinds of output transistors. The expertize here does not recommend IBGT transistors which can be seen in the AN-211. Mr. Alexander has used different types but the main thing is that you can choose whatever you'll like, lateral or vertical mosfet's, BJT's, IGBT's :bigeyes: , tubes etc.

I have also the patent of the amp :nod: Rather boring to read. :yawn:

Hi Beppi61,

Using 2SB1560 and 2SD2390 as output devices, =/-30V supplies and 12V zeners in my circuit you could get 50 watts.

Out of interest I searched for Albarry m208 in this forum and found a couple of threads where you mention a bass problem. You suspect the Albarry amplifier.
Reading the threads it seems to me that your problem is with the speakers as the Albarrys are capable of a lot of output at the bass end.
If you could borrow some speakers with known good bass you could test them on your system which I think you would find is satisfactory.

The HiFi News 1978 Linsley-Hood amplifier uses darlington in a triple à la Quad configuration (nice sound, an interesting configuration for bass and medium). Power devices were 2N2501/2N3001.
I think Krell used darlington followers in some of their class A (well, as claimed by the manufacturer) amps.

~~~~~~ Forr

§§§

Dear Mr. Consort_ee_um,

thank you so much for your extremely kind and valuable reply.
Please let me be more precise hereafter.

>
consort_ee_um said:
Hi Beppi61, Using 2SB1560 and 2SD2390 as output devices, =/-30V supplies and 12V zeners in my circuit you could get 50 watts.

Very interesting.
In the weekend I will try to study the circuit more in depth.

> Out of interest I searched for Albarry m208 in this forum and found a couple of threads where you mention a bass problem. You suspect the Albarry amplifier.

No. It is just the opposite.
I found the bass performance of the Albarry pretty remarkable out of just a single pair of darlintons.
It is my current amp that have a very weak bass.
I think some sort of current limiting circuit is the culprit.
I will try to upload the schema because I would like to try to by-pass this circuit.

> Reading the threads it seems to me that your problem is with the speakers as the Albarrys are capable of a lot of output at the bass end.

Actually the woofers of my speakers are of the very inefficient kind. With the Albarrys they sound just fine and pretty enjoyable.

> If you could borrow some speakers with known good bass you could test them on your system which I think you would find is satisfactory.

That is indeed my current dilemma: switching for a powerful amp or change the speakers?
I suspect my Dynaudio are "dynamically" compressed in some way.
I am afraid that also increasing power could lead to some distortion.
But as I said with the Albys they were just fine.

Thank you very much again.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Dear Mr. Peranders,
thank you so much for your very friendly and valuable support.
I will take me the weekend to study the AN.
Anyway I understand it deals with a power amp.

> Originally posted by peranders [/i]
I will also point out that you see different kinds of output transistors.
The expertize here does not recommend IBGT transistors which can be seen in the AN-211.
Mr. Alexander has used different types but the main thing is that you can choose whatever you'll like, lateral or vertical mosfet's, BJT's, IGBT's :bigeyes: , tubes etc.

That is very interesting indeed.
Sometimes I wonder about the possibility to exchange the type of the output devices in some circuits available in the web.
It seems to me that mosfets and bjts are the devices more popular nowadays.

> I have also the patent of the amp :nod: Rather boring to read. :yawn:
[/QUOTE]

As I maybe said previously I find your projects of a very high level indeed.
My sincere congratulations.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Originally posted by forr [/i]
The HiFi News 1978 Linsley-Hood amplifier uses darlington in a triple à la Quad configuration (nice sound, an interesting configuration for bass and medium).
Power devices were 2N2501/2N3001.
I think Krell used darlington followers in some of their class A (well, as claimed by the manufacturer) amps.
~~~~~~ Forr
§§§
[/QUOTE]

Dear Mr. Forr,

thank you very much for the kind advice.
I have to say that my question was generated by the idea that very simple topologies (very few active components) can be designed with darlingtons.
I am always dreaming to the ultimate minimalist approach with a strong single output pair.

Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,

beppe61

Re: Re: Topologies using darlingtons.

lineup said:

Sure is possible very easy make of a strong power amplifier
covering well beyond 40 kHz with good sound quality.
Using powerful darlingtons, that can take a lot of heat!
This thread about the LAB10 Amplifier is only one fine example!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71292
:cool: :smash:

Dear Sir,
please excuse me for having dismissed your kind and very valuable suggestion with all haste!
Do you have built anything following the schematic ?
I very like the POWER AMPLIFIER section in particular.
Using powerful darlington I could build a very interesting power follower and try it with different voltage gain stage topologies.
Please tell me some more (or if you are aware of oher links of the same kind).

Please excuse me again but I am as impetuos as ignorant.:D

Kind regards,
beppe

cheep but quite ok!!

i got some velleman K8060 kits they are quite good and use tip142/147 darlingtons as the output pair.
id post the scem. but i have not got a scanner, any way , at £15 for the complete kit, minus heat sink and transformer its worth a look at.

ps, does anyone have experiance of paralleling darlingtons??

Re: cheep but quite ok!!

psychosteve said:
i got some velleman K8060 kits they are quite good and use tip142/147 darlingtons as the output pair. id post the scem.
but i have not got a scanner, any way , at £15 for the complete kit, minus heat sink and transformer its worth a look at.
ps, does anyone have experiance of paralleling darlingtons??

Dear Sir,
I will study deeply the kit you mention.
Have you built it personally ? How does it sound ?
I would like to explain my interest for simple amps using just a single pair of darlington in the output stage.
During the last 6 months I have tried a number of integrateds and power amps in my system to drive a quite demanding pair of Dynaudio speakers.
Most failed to give an adequate bass response (i.e. fast, deep, powerful and damped).
The best power amp I listened in my system has been two English monos rated 45W/8ohm that I had the opportunity to open and see inside.
I could see in each mono:
1) a toroidal transfo made by ILP type:5322 S.N.:2102
2) two good sized filter caps
3) 7-8 small plastic case bjts (in TO92 case I think)
4) a single pair of TIP146/TIP141 per channel.
This has been by a long margin the best amp I tried in my sistem.
On this basis I am now very interested in very simple topologies.
My dream would be to find a kit of a power amp with just 4-5 bjts that could be used along with the output pair of point 4).
This kit with a very powerful power supply could have the potential to sound very good IMHO.
The sound of the monos pair I mention it is very good even with demanding speakers.
The monos have been circulated among a number of audio friends of mine.
Every time the judgement has been positive to say the least.
If I were good at cloning that woudl be my target.
As I said I will study all the minimalist design I found that could be used to that single darlington output pair.

Thank you very much again for your very valuable advice

Kind regards,

beppe

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73701

yes i built them my self, they sound good, damping factor is quoted as <800, freq resp 3hz to 200khz (-3db) so i wasnt expecting zen type quality, but they drive eminence delta15,s REAL GOOD.

breif circuit description, bc640 longtail pair input, bc639 class a driver, bc547 bias compensation, bc547/557 curent amp, tip142/147 darlington output.

total of 6 bc type plastic case transistors and two tip darlingtons

hope this helps some, espesh the other thread, id upgrade the caps in the kit anyway, it says that in the manual !!! transfo required is meant to be +/-30v at 120va, i went up to 300va per pair, without the on board diodes.

see you soon, steve.. ..

psychosteve said:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73701
1) yes i built them my self, they sound good, damping factor is quoted as <800, freq resp 3hz to 200khz (-3db) so i wasnt expecting zen type quality, but they drive eminence delta15,s REAL GOOD.
2) breif circuit description, bc640 longtail pair input, bc639 class a driver, bc547 bias compensation, bc547/557 curent amp, tip142/147 darlington output.
total of 6 bc type plastic case transistors and two tip darlingtons
3) hope this helps some, espesh the other thread, id upgrade the caps in the kit anyway, it says that in the manual !!! transfo required is meant to be +/-30v at 120va, i went up to 300va per pair, without the on board diodes.
see you soon, steve.. ..

Dear Mr. Steve,
1) I like very much the simplicity of the kit and the nice lay-out.
So they can output some current. Good.
2) Very good. I like simple circuit greatly.
3) It helps a lot indeed. Very kind of you. Thank you very much indeed.
If I understand well you advice to increase capacitance in the power supply and the VA rating of the transformer. Good.
I don't understand the subject of "on board diodes" anyway.
What do you mean with that?

Thank you so much again.
Kind regards,

beppe

A/C from transformer goes to the board and is rectified and smoothed at the amp. if you want to bridge a pair of amps, like i did, dont solder the diodes to the board, but use a single package bridge rectifier at the transformer, along with caps, then take +/- DC voltage to each board.

if you only using a single amp, not bridged, follow the kit instructions. caps in the kit are 3300uf 50v, but there is space on there for 4700uf 50v which is what the manual suggests for the upgrade. personaly i doubled up with 2 x 3300uf and paralled with 200nf, the choice is yours.

hope this clears things up a bit, see you soon, steve.. ..

psychosteve said:

1) A/C from transformer goes to the board and is rectified and smoothed at the amp.
2) if you want to bridge a pair of amps, like i did, dont solder the diodes to the board, but use a single package bridge rectifier at the transformer, along with caps, then take +/- DC voltage to each board.
3) if you only using a single amp, not bridged, follow the kit instructions.
caps in the kit are 3300uf 50v, but there is space on there for 4700uf 50v which is what the manual suggests for the upgrade. personaly i doubled up with 2 x 3300uf and paralled with 200nf, the choice is yours.
4) hope this clears things up a bit, see you soon, steve.. ..

Dear Mr. Steve,
thank you so much again for your kind and precious help.
1) 2) 3) I think to do the same as you did without bridging, with very big transformer and caps (something like 15.000uF I have at hand-they are very good Siemens).
4) Completely.

Thank you very much indeed.
Have a nice day,

beppe

hey richie00boy, yes its good to be back,

they run into a modified PA cab, runs fine at 6ohms, but then the amps run 2 x AMD athalon sink and fans each. and the bridge circuit has a 1k ohm multi turn preset res with the wiper as input so i can fine ballance the input to an ne5532 dual op amp, one inverting one as buffer non inverting.
with a 300va 30/30 volt transfo it pushes the speakers and they are suposed to be rated to 400watts rms, they sound loud, and they can drive heavy comp cone speakers which is what beppe was looking for.

hows the gain clone doin richie?

see you soon, steve.. ..

ps, richie00boy do you know what the problems of paralleling darlingtons are, apart from being a bit slow, and needing to use current forcing resistors? cos for the price of the kit it may be worth blowing one up trying to get more out of the amps, tip 142/147, is i think, 10 amp 125 watt package so they quite sturdy.

see you soon, steve.. ..

You should be OK paralleling darlingtons with current sharing resistors. The issue would be that the amp voltage amplifier stage might start to struggle driving the extra load though. Not only that the current limiting circuitry would need to be adjusted.

Glad you seem to be having success with a 6 ohm load and bridged operation, but you really are running on a knife edge there. I'll bet the amp current limiting circuitry is working overtime.

I also think you don't need to run the pot after the splitter as the outputs should be very well matched anway. The pot is likely to give you trouble later down the line as it gets dirty and noisy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.