Top-notch DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
till said:
indeed it looks this board is going more and more twoards tweaking voodoo and selling kits, diskussing special sonic qualities like using another diode in the power supply of a kit amp, or DAC.

Steady on Till, you are as guilty of Audio shamanism and navel gazing as anyone. Witness the endless angonizing over the input levels of the TDA1541.

Sorry, I must be in the wrong place. I thought this forum was for DIY

Another person who decides what this forum should be about and how we should lead our lives.

Very tiring...all these people that tell us what to do with our time.

Maybe I have a life and just get satisfaction out of buying a pcb and making something from a schematic. Maybe I should go out and build my own vacuum pump so I can also make my own tubes.

Please forgive me!

Witness the endless angonizing over the input levels of the TDA1541.

- i at least built the circuit to test it.

- there is some reasonable explanation why the reduced input signal level may have any advantage.

- i´m not really high about the TDA1541A results...

i try to find the borderlinie between voodooshamanism and science, my problem may be i trust to fast what others tell.

This should be good.................:D

Attachments

• daln50l.jpg
    daln50l.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 739
Originally posted by jbokelman

Hajime, Didn’t I just give you some suggestions on where to start? Did you read Thorsten’s article? It seems he was able to get the DAC-4 schematics by just asking Audio Note. Have you tried that? Have you searched the archives and asked questions in other forums where the heavy-hitter audiophiles hang out?
Yes, and I thank you for your suggestions. I emailed Peter Q at Audio Note a day or two ago and received a response from him. I have searched the archives and I have asked this question on other forums. I now have the DAC4 signature schematic.

No? I didn’t think so. You, like all the rest, want everything handed to you. You want the schematics, a ready-made PCB, a parts list and place to buy everything you need. Then, you think if you make minor part substitutions you have Designed It Yourself.
I already admitted I am not talented enough to design a DAC myself. I did not ask you for a ready-made PCB, a parts list or a location to buy parts at. D.I.Y. = "Do It Yourself", not "Design It Yourself". In fact, I didn't ask you for anything including a rude attitude. I see no problem relyiing on the experience of those more knowlegable than myself. If you do, please discontinue posting in this thread unless you are willing to post without your condescending attitude.
Originally posted by till

Hajime, what about starting with a very simple DAC for lets say 10 or 20€ parts cost, get it working, and have a look on a more difficult after? it will need one or two evenings to make a working prototype.
Sure, do you have any recommendation for a DAC that'd be that inexpensive? It'd be fun to build and I'd like the experience.

Hajime said:
If you could point me to the location of the AN DAC-5 schematic (perhaps in email) I would greatly appreciate it.

Hajime said:
In fact, I didn't ask you for anything...

Hajime, let's review. Without knowing anything about circuit design and given only the schematics, you expect to create a DAC-5 clone for $900. As I pointed out before, if you use anything less than AN silver transformers you will not be able to recreate the DAC-5 sound. The IV and output transformers, alone, will set you back US$4306 at today’s exchange rate. I doubt you could even make a credible DAC-3.1X Balanced clone for $900. Good transformers are bloody expensive and cheap transformers are a waste of money. That’s not condescension, that’s reality. As I said before, I think your expectations are unrealistic, but good luck and have fun.

this thread proofes again, a DAC guru at diyaudio you become when posting loads of silver wirde voodoo wisdom but no hard knowledge and information. Beware, if you would post some real facts someone could come and proof them wrong.

A look inside the commercial gear should show price is related in no way to quality.

I refer to the following:

as i understand the topic of this thread is like: "please tell me about topologies and schematics of high quality DACs that are possible to build diy"

and people start to push their reputation by posting "thats not possible, YOU can not build something really high end, it needs Know How, loads of money, silver wire, voodoo snakeoil, and of course the DAC voodoomans special wisdom YOU don´t possess"

to me it looks something´s goind wronge in this kind of communication, some people shouldn´t abuse this board for puposes they better discuss with a psychater.

You interest in transformers is absolutely ok, what about an other thread?

For you big money voodoomen: we made intensive listening tests with different DACs and amplifiers last night. One finding is: a veroboard DAC can sound better than a SMD, groundplane, Philips engineers designed, commercial one.

Hajime, i mailed you, as the public in this thread seems not to like DAC building discussion here. Some of them only want to sell kits i suspect.

You interest in transformers is absolutely ok, what about an other thread?

You are right..I was threadjacking. So is this. Hajime please forgive me. To get back to your thread...

I had a look at your original question. And yes the NO types are flavour of the month. That is how people act and think...but while I really like my DDDAC1543 which is Non Oversampling...I am getting a DAC with oversampling (which I have never heard...but people who have heard one...all want to buy the prototype ;-)

I am learning all the time..and don't want to be like a guru and say...Non Oversampling is THE way to go...or the 1541 is THE chip to use.

To get back to your point..since you have a big budget. Try building the DDDAC 1543...you will learn a lot from building that thing for 150 dollars or so leaving you with 750 to build something different....maybe even your own after you have seen how relatively simple it all is.

Cheers,
Bas

PS...i have not even started to tweak my DDDAC1543 yet and it sound very good.. Some background on the builder...Doede has built quite a few in his lifetime a lot more complex ones as well...and he really likes this one.

Again..returning to your question...building something is the BEST way of learning...If you build one or 2 before you know it you will be saying...I can do that better!!!

KWAK-DAC

Well Till, I compared my KWAK-DAC with several pretty expensive DAC's of a friend of mine: Theta V, Upsampling Electrocompaniet and Musical Fidelity and integrated players, Sony CDPX-30ES, Sony SCD-1, Arcam FMJ CD-33T CDP
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=digital&n=71001&highlight=elso+arcam&r=&session=
The NON-OS KWAK-DAC is comprised of a CS8412, with AD8561 in front, Wildmonkeysects loop-filter, one TDA1543 on +5V supply and a OP275 as IV-converter and a discrete outputstage. A Jung like regulator for the analog stages and a triple Darlington with LM329 for the DAC. I like the sound of my own DAC more than all these machines but the eye is in the beholder.......
I posted the schematic for the digital receiver, the IV-converter, the Triple Darlington and can also post the regulator for the analog stage if you wish. I will NOT post the schematic of the discrete outputstage.
I don't sell this DAC as a kit!

Elso, as far as i remember you was one of the few posting on topic here...

I´m interested in your regulator, but i don´t know if Hajime is. You posted a zehner regulator schematic once, and posted a link in my zehner thread.

I emailed you yesterday because of the inverter thread, but as you didn´t respond i don´t know if mail reached you.

what definitely will not help is posting statements like "you can´t" in a thread like this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.