Top Flight DAC - very High End audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nonos problem

A little OT but this web site quoted above
http://www.geocities.com/yury_g/dac.htm
talks about a phase shift problem with nonos at high frequencies due to the delay caused by the serialisation of right & left channels - however reading up in this forum and the net no one else implementing nonos DACs seems to know (or care).

Can anyone shed some light if this is really a problem?

Reclocking would be a definite improvement. I didn't try this DAC.

In other thread, I mentioned that my modified Marantz (TDA1541) was better than TDA1543 stand alone DAC. Well, it was better on my previous speakers, but on the new monitors, ( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16237 ), TDA1543 DAC sounds better (smoother and cleaner). Part of that might be the simple passive output stage and good PS and reclocking. With Marantz, I just change the output op-amps and didn't touch PS except for changing electrolytics and adding bypass.

pinkmouse said:
Hmm, this is what I see...

Okay, this explains your comment :nod:
I see a totally different layout, so it must be due the way in which it was coded. Maybe certain browsers/versions interpret it differently?

When I first read your post and looked back at the webpage, it couldn't figure out why you thought it was a bad layout. After I saw the picture you posted, I can see how you didn't like it :eek:

-Vinnie

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Whoops! forgot to say that I was talking about a pure silver transformer.

Actually, you did mention that.

The point is though they don't need to be 25W.

If there's sufficient interest I can talk Wil into building anything you need from copper to silver even gold if it must be.

I'm sure that he can reduce the price considerably once you spec the needs correctly.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Actually, you did mention that.

The point is though they don't need to be 25W.

If there's sufficient interest I can talk Wil into building anything you need from copper to silver even gold if it must be.

I don't know where I have specified before that it was pure silver.
Of course you only need enough for a signal level transformer.

It's also nice that he builds to spec, as I thought..

If there's enough interest somebody could get the specifications together (line level, hopefully usable for both digital and analog unbalanced to balanced).

protos said:
I am not sure about kits but for my money the perp technologies dac P-3A with Modwright mods is amazing value.I have done most of the mods myself and it really is now a heavyweight contender.P.T. offer a a version of this I think around 800USD.

Hi protos & others,

I seccond that!
I know the PP DAC P-3A, this is one piece of equipment that beg's to be modifyd.

If you have one, don't ever turn it off if you haven't modify the power supply (cap's) otherwise, you'll have to wait at least 24 hours before the P-3A sound at it's best!

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.