Tony's latest traffo DIY build

other parts of the world can only look at with envy.....
I wanna see the dead blow hammer you use.
I think that's why I started SMPS transformers> cant lose count with 1 turn secondaries

that vacuum pot is a future project, will get it eventually...
:cool:
what are you waiting for? single stage pump, recycled cookware, and a few hoses / fittings.
see yer auto air con dealers

tony can you supply the manufacturer's details and part number of that air drying varnish so I can look it up online ?
also what is the mimimum ambient temperature needed to dry the varnish.
I am considering buying a second hand electric oven for baking etc.
why have you not bought a vacuum pump before now ?
is it one of those pumps they use for air-conditioning ?
I see people on youtube using them for de-gassing resin etc.
Is that where you got the idea ?

Philippine Paint Manufacturers Inc. supplied those....
the temperatures here goes as high as 35 degrees....
but if you contemplate buying an oven, then you can get those
non air varrying varnish...

i have yet to find a vacuum pump that i can afford to date,
but i will get them in future....
mine is a hobby, not a manufacturing one...

I wanna see the dead blow hammer you use.
I think that's why I started SMPS transformers> cant lose count with 1 turn secondaries

:cool:
what are you waiting for? single stage pump, recycled cookware, and a few hoses / fittings.
see yer auto air con dealers

this is what i use....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

testing my isolation traffo...

open circuit shows 31watts core loss and idle current of 180mA...

short circuit testing shows copper loss at 8A primary current cause a voltage drop of 18 volts...

a current traffo was put in series with traffo primary winding and at 8A
primary current cause a 3 volt dc drop across a 1k resistor....
this CT will be used as overload protection, disconnecting
the traffo primary if 8 amp or more is detected...

Attachments

• IMG_7700.JPG
    IMG_7700.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_7727.JPG
    IMG_7727.JPG
    551.3 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_7729.JPG
    IMG_7729.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_7728.JPG
    IMG_7728.JPG
    555.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_7730.JPG
    IMG_7730.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 151
Sir Tony, I can't seem to open the Philippine Electronics Forum so I decided this might be the place to ask you this. (or maybe other members if you see this)

I have a toroidal traffo with 230V primary and secondaries of 42-0-42, 17-0-17 and 0-12. Only other number shown in label is that it is rated 300W. There's nothing in there about the ratings of each secondaries.

Now, I unwound the 42-0-42 to 22-0-22 to be able to power a mono LM3886 amp. Problem is, I don't know the original VA rating of that 42-0-42 so even if I know how to compute change in VA after unwinding, I can't do it unless I know the original.

Can someone at least have a bit of wise guess or estimate about the original VA rating of that 42-0-42 secondary? It won't be 300W right since there are other secondaries. Anyway, amp is from a powered mixer. +-42 powers the power amp, 17-0-17 is for the mixer and other pre I think. I don't know about the 0-12. I just need to know orig. rating of 42-0-42, even if just guesses. At least, guess will be from someone with experience and knowledge regarding these things. Coz, I don't have it. :)

0.8mm diameter is more like the primary thickness.

0.8mm diameter is 0.502sqmm.
Assuming a current density of 3A/sqmm you get 1.5Aac and if it were 6A/sqmm then you get 3Aac.

42Vac + 42Vac @ 1.5Aac comes to 126VA (3A/sqmm), whereas 6A/sqmm gives 252VA

An old good toroid from 20 or 30years ago would probably be wound with wire @ 3A/sqmm to 3.5A/sqmm
A modern very cheap toroid with a high regulation might use 4.5A/sqmm to 5A/sqmm
A good modern expensive low regulation toroid would probably stick with the current densities typical of 30years ago.

Last edited:
Sir Tony, I can't seem to open the Philippine Electronics Forum so I decided this might be the place to ask you this. (or maybe other members if you see this)

I have a toroidal traffo with 230V primary and secondaries of 42-0-42, 17-0-17 and 0-12. Only other number shown in label is that it is rated 300W. There's nothing in there about the ratings of each secondaries.

Now, I unwound the 42-0-42 to 22-0-22 to be able to power a mono LM3886 amp. Problem is, I don't know the original VA rating of that 42-0-42 so even if I know how to compute change in VA after unwinding, I can't do it unless I know the original.

Can someone at least have a bit of wise guess or estimate about the original VA rating of that 42-0-42 secondary? It won't be 300W right since there are other secondaries. Anyway, amp is from a powered mixer. +-42 powers the power amp, 17-0-17 is for the mixer and other pre I think. I don't know about the 0-12. I just need to know orig. rating of 42-0-42, even if just guesses. At least, guess will be from someone with experience and knowledge regarding these things. Coz, I don't have it. :)

power capacity depends on the physical dimensions of your torroid core....and its weight....
you can compare your torrid with those found here....Toroidal Power Transformers for 117V/60Hz Operation

Based on neurochrome website's spreadsheet, a mono LM3886 amp powered +-30V with a crest factor of 6 dB would need a 74.3VA transformer. Since I'll be using it for guitar, I guess it's only ideal to design it with that crest factor in mind.
Since I unwound the traffo by about half the original voltage, I can expect half the original VA right? So with 126 VA, new rating would be 63VA which is not enough for my purpose. However, if it is rated 252VA, it would give the 22-0-22 a rating of 126VA which is more than enough for a mono LM3886.
I just hope I got a higher VA in there. Or else? What's the worst thing that can happen? :D

Based on neurochrome website's spreadsheet, a mono LM3886 amp powered +-30V with a crest factor of 6 dB would need a 74.3VA transformer. Since I'll be using it for guitar, I guess it's only ideal to design it with that crest factor in mind.
Since I unwound the traffo by about half the original voltage, I can expect half the original VA right? So with 126 VA, new rating would be 63VA which is not enough for my purpose. However, if it is rated 252VA, it would give the 22-0-22 a rating of 126VA which is more than enough for a mono LM3886.
I just hope I got a higher VA in there. Or else? What's the worst thing that can happen? :D

it seem you have more than enough for your needs...

Load both windings to deliver 2.4Aac + 2.4Aac into 9r17 + 9r17 and check how hot it gets after 30minutes.
22Vac+22Vac @ 2.4Aac+2.4Aac is equivalent to an output rating of 105.6VA