Today's trip to the second hand store

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
raidfibre said:
The ones I took out of my car had a flimsy cone and tiny magnet. You (or I) must be talking about something else for sure.

I'm sure they didn't build just 1. We must be talking about a different model.

dave

Attachments

• delco6x9.jpg
    delco6x9.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 401
Hey Dave,

Nice!

Are there any mods that aren't visible, like felt on the spider or anything?

Also, just curious--do you have the capability to turn out custom pole reflectors of 3/4" diameter? I've got a Lafayette SK-98 with a crushed dustcap...

[soapbox/] Note use of the term "pole reflector." I think it's important to retire this clunky "phase plug" misnomer--are you with me, comrads?! [/soapbox]

Thanks, Cal.

On other places in the forum I've seen home-made phase plugs made of cork, wood, plastic, etc. and I've often wondered how they were attached since you would assume vibration would be a problem. Some sort of adhesive seemed the logical first choice but you'd have to be awfully careful to avoid it slopping over into the gap. I've been eyeing some wood turnings in a craft store to possibly use as phase plugs in some of PE's cheapo NTBs for my son. (Sorry to get off topic.)

Back on topic: I picked up a pair of whizzer cone units identical to the ones you showed in your first couple of posts and I mean identical right down to the octagonal frame and maroon-colored cloth cover secured with wire. I've been searching for any sort of ID and the closest I've found was made by Philips but they don't match any I've seen. The magnet housing has the numbers 2422 257 37102 and, below that, 1-67-AH which I assume is a manufacture date.

Anybody have any ideas what they might be? I'd like to put them in a proper cabinet.

Flubug

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bill F. said:
Are there any mods that aren't visible, like felt on the spider or anything?

no. Had to leave some room for Cal to play. These have the basic mods. dystcapectomy, ductseal, puzzlecoat, phaseplug. The wool fely (imported from Japan inside a Sansui speaker) was something Terry O turned me on to... it removed a couple wrinkles in the impedance curve.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Cal's 10F3s tweaked & ready for action

flubug said:
How do you attach the phase plug/pole reflectors to the speaker pole?

Two screws on the bottom magnetically attach them. They can (carefully) be removed and they can be adjusted for clearance

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
flubug said:
The magnet housing has the numbers 2422 257 37102 and, below that, 1-67-AH which I assume is a manufacture date.

Anybody have any ideas what they might be? I'd like to put them in a proper cabinet.

Philips AD7060 (although AD7080) looks pretty much identical.

The lomg number id the exact flabour of 7060. 1-67 is Jan 1967, AH is probably a factory code.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bill F. said:
BTW, here's an auction for an unmodified FE103a pair that's already up to $100 with more than a day to go. :bigeyes: Not even a very pretty pair, either.

I'd say that is what a good pair are worth... the stain is the surround glue so they probably need the surround glued down. And the one looks like it might have its surround stiffened up... i'm still lookin' for the chemicals to fix yjay syndrom

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.