Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

Hi Pano,

Around the time my tinnitus started, I had a stress angina (work shite.) I can't remember exact dates - but I will PMCOAB that stress was, and is, the root cause of my tinnitus.

AAMOI my daughter sent off a parcel today with a bunch of goodies - LP, SACD, Bigbottle PCB, the Flare Audio plugs etc. Just a quick story re these, the main reason she sent them to me is because of a problem I seem to have with standing waves. I have been to quite a few Jazz and Blues concerts, where I had to block off my ears due to a standing wave that was being generated inside my ear canals. I want to test them out and see if they will make any difference. Only problem of course is that no concerts are happening currently. C-19 has put paid to them for the next while. But so be it. I can still enjoy the LP, SACD, candy (salted liquorice) and building up the Bigbottle RIAA.

Kevin

For thoses who have a real traumatic sonic artefact in the head caused by serious neural tissues damages, there is no psychological escape, the stress is amplifying your feelings not your tinnitus.
If you feel that your tinnituses are conditioned by your mood, it is surely because you don't have tinnituses.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I, like many my age, have some tinnitus from loud noises during my youth. Gunfire, loud music, and in my case, noisy surgical tools.

From what I understand from talking to my ENT collegues, is that this condition can be multi-factorial, and a lot of it is direct damage from loud noises, but some is due to viral infection in the otic nerve, as it goes through a tight bony canal, any swelling can cause nerve dysfunction. This issue can also cause vertigo. (I had that one time, it was terrible) The state of your immune system can play a role in how much of this is going well.

As well, a lot of the ups and downs of the tinnitus is controlled by your brain, as in how much down-regulation of that noise is performed. (your brain decreases its own sensitivity to that specific input) This up and down regulation can be affected by mood, and mental stress. And its why stress relieving practices can help, to some degree.

So, staying healthy, in body and mind, is the best you can do. (typing this as mine is pretty bad since I am just out of surgery, and thinking about tinnitus. It will just about "go away", to my perception, as I start seeing patients in a few minutes, and my mind moves on to other concerns)

as I start seeing patients in a few minutes, and my mind moves on to other concerns)

I often think about it when i wake up with a torticollis and can't put my clothes correctly because my neck hurt too much, the intensity of the neural pulses are powerfull enough to contract permanentely (even when i'm sleeping) my neck muscles.
When putting your mind away is impossible you must feel and go deep into yourself in order to find the deepest resiliences forces, it is like breating in the water, not really natural but you don't have the choice... keep in mind that better days are coming... not really in the real world :D

« just one more thing »
I’ve been injured at one ear since 30 years, so one side is « normally silent » therefore i’m a human tinnitus high precision comparator with 30 years of data logging.
The traumatic scar tissues are convulsing periodically in a totally randomized cycles bursts, the tinnitus can appear independantly of the NF when i’m happy or sad, when i‘m stressed or relaxed, at any time and even when i’m totally focused on something that interests me at the highest point. It can last one minute one hour one day one week or one month, it is totally independant of what you do or live in a OMS approved normal life.
Within years i’ve aquired the ability to sleep normally in a crisis cycle, but this super hero ability is also RANDOM.
Therefore, every aggression (like a tinnitus) is consuming your energy and when you are really tired out, everything is hurting your psychology.

Le Malade imaginaire — Wikipedia

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I've had your basic head music for a couple of decades, it's never been a problem. Now, I have an intermittent extremely loud and high pitched whistle in my right ear. Weirdly, it appears to be physically related. If I tip my head to the left, the level of the noise increases, but only if it's not already as loud as it gets. Sometimes it's weak and fluttery, others unbelievably loud. It can disappear if I move around, it appears if I sit down or go to bed.

There are other physical factors that can make it ping.

MRI showed there's nothing abnormal with my ears, auditory nerve or brain.

Anyone have something similar?

High protein diet is the worst...Stewan Gundry

What do these people know? :rolleyes:

Just theories, IMO. Skinnier you are, the better you feel. Which means avoiding starchy food. :D

It does shock me how hammered our ears are. I used to hear 16kHz, now a dismal 9kHz.

Touchwood, I have avoided a family complaint of Meniere's disease - Wikipedia.

Happily now largely cured by a sea-sickness tablet called Stugeron.

I have tinnitus. Not terrible, but it's there most of the time. My father had it (until he went mostly deaf in his 80s and since then he no longer talks about it). I haven't found anything that particularly helps/hurts it. I'm a pretty serious cyclist and do plenty of high intensity work outs and have not noticed that they have any effect on my hearing.

The good news (for me) is that I can pretty much ignore the noise. It drives some folks nuts, but I seem to be able to tune it out.

I've had your basic head music for a couple of decades, it's never been a problem. Now, I have an intermittent extremely loud and high pitched whistle in my right ear. Weirdly, it appears to be physically related. If I tip my head to the left, the level of the noise increases, but only if it's not already as loud as it gets. Sometimes it's weak and fluttery, others unbelievably loud. It can disappear if I move around, it appears if I sit down or go to bed.

There are other physical factors that can make it ping.

MRI showed there's nothing abnormal with my ears, auditory nerve or brain.

Anyone have something similar?
I very occasionally get repeating pinging, thankfully it never lasts long. I have a whistle most of the time, it doesn't always seem to be stress related although stress does affect it. I've had MRI scan, nothing found.

My tinnitus is definitely not due to loud noise. When I use the vacuum cleaner, I wear ear plugs. When I go to the movies, I wear ear plugs (they're always too loud.) When I do drilling, cutting of wood or use any power tool, I wear proper ear protective muffs etc. Mine is from stress.

Silverprout, the MRI definitely helped to identify the astrocytoma deep down in my late wife's brain. And it is used on a daily basis at many hospitals all over the world, to great effect and very succesfully, to combat many medical problems!

My tinnitus is definitely not due to loud noise. When I use the vacuum cleaner, I wear ear plugs. When I go to the movies, I wear ear plugs (they're always too loud.) When I do drilling, cutting of wood or use any power tool, I wear proper ear protective muffs etc. Mine is from stress.

Silverprout, the MRI definitely helped to identify the astrocytoma deep down in my late wife's brain. And it is used on a daily basis at many hospitals all over the world, to great effect and very succesfully, to combat many medical problems!

Sorry to be dubitative, but i've see a lot of professors, doctors and surgerons since 30 years and no-one of them have recommanded to use a MRI for a tinnitus diagnostic, no one.

The ENT I went to did have an MRI done ~ 2000. Picked up that there is an issue or two - disc degeneration (pinched nerves in neck and shoulder); nasal septum deviates slightly to the left - sinnus problems on a regular basis - which could be a source of the tinnitus but not conclusively proved - yet. I was on a tablet for several months (Nootropil) which helps improve oxygen absorption to neural tissue. May have helped a bit, but not enough to warrant the expenditure. Over a few years during the early stages I started cycling on a daily basis and noticed that there was a signficant improvement. But no complete recovery. Of course blood sugar, endorphins, better blood flow, lower cholestrol levels could all be factors. Have not had the opportunity to check this further due to circumstances (nursing my wife through to depression after her passing, laziness and work stuff.)
I try to just get on with my life. Social drinking of cider and wine, and the odd glass of wine or whiskey with a meal does help. High blood sugar does worsen it, but that's due to my love for chocolate - so be it.

Last edited:
Hey Ferret - It's probably not the chocolate (at least it wasn't for me). After months of eating followed by (self administered) blood glucose tests I discovered that rice was my Kryptonite. Most starches, actually, but mostly rice. Unfortunately I love Asian food and French Fries. So I made two changes.

(1) I increased my protein intake - particularly if I was eating starch (rice, potatoes, pasta). The goal was to have about as much protein as starch. The protein slows starch digestion which evens out the blood sugar level. A nutritionist gave me this tip and it worked a charm. I credit this change with most of the improvement.
(2) I increased my miles on the bike. I was riding about 80 miles weekly and over a few months moved up to about double that (about 650 miles per month). This helped, but probably less than (1). But I love cycling, so it was a good excuse to increase my time on the bike.

Between the two things I reduced my blood sugar (as measured by hemoglobin A1C) by >20%. I am, technically, no longer even in the diabetic range. I also lost about 10% of my body weight. Roughly half of that was fat (as measured by bioimpedance). I wasn't overweight before, but now my body fat hovers around 9%. Pretty lean for me. I lost some muscle mass in the process - mostly upper body mass - as I mostly quit weightlifting over the last 6 months. I'm sure I could get it back without too much trouble and without increasing body fat or blood sugar.

Anyways, those two things worked better for me than any medication on offer. My doctor was most impressed by the improvement. Said he never saw such a sharp reduction in A1C over such a short time without medication adjustment. Realistically most folks aren't going to ride a bike 10 hours a week, but the protein trick is easy and did the most good. Try it. You have nothing to lose.