Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

As we all know electrical systems are unreliable at best, so I have designed a automated mechanical solution to the issue. Here is a simplified conceptual model of the device. I have left out some crucial components on purpose so that he design can not be directly copied by the mass market. The basic idea is that the ear muffs oscillate at a given rate, say once every 30 seconds they go down and then stay up for another 30 seconds. The rubber hammers tap at your skull when the ear muffs are down. The rate of operation is regulated by the two fly fans. I used two small ones because one large one would just look ridiculous. Using this device you don't need to look like a weirdo on the bus or train or whatever trying to read the newspaper while holding you hands on your ears.

Attachments

• tinn.jpg
    tinn.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 317
Just thought I'd share this to give you guys some more hope. Its called FX-322 and it looks like some of these modalities are becoming very promising and this one in particular with the use of stem cells looks like it might actually work. The FDA is fast tracking its approval for use and it's easy to implement as well as probably cost effective. I've had mild tinnitus and hearing loss for years and it really is annoying.

YouTube

Frequency Therapeutics Announces Positive Phase 1/2 Data for Drug Candidate for Hearing Restoration | Business Wire

I was hooking up a deqx and using it on my Earl Geddies Nathans a few days ago...stupidly the microphone was turned on and just my luck I got a feedback into the mic right with my ear next to a D250 CD with a full 50 watts going into it! I know I just did some significant hearing damage :( I can still hear but the T has worsened slightly. So be careful with your ears guys!

There's a trick you can try to hear what it's like to not have it. Put your palms on your ears and use your middle fingers to tap the base of your skull for about 30 seconds or so. Then just remove you hands off your ears. My tinnitus doesn't disappear completely using this trick but almost. It lasts only for about 5 seconds but it feels weird.

I've done this occasionally, but I always wonder if the loud booming you hear when tapping, from having your palms covering your ears, could possibly lead to more hearing damage? It can be REALLY loud if you press on your ears to completely cover them...

Just thought I'd share this to give you guys some more hope. Its called FX-322 and it looks like some of these modalities are becoming very promising and this one in particular with the use of stem cells looks like it might actually work. The FDA is fast tracking its approval for use and it's easy to implement as well as probably cost effective. I've had mild tinnitus and hearing loss for years and it really is annoying

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this! I'm pretty certain my T began from a stupidly loud concert at The Tabernacle in Atlanta. Went to see some metal bands, with the headliner being Metalocalypse, and I had left my ear plugs in the car by accident, no re-entry to the venue. So I covered my ears some, but obviously not enough. I could literally feel my nerves dying in that show haha... :( I just truly dont understand why the venues make it that loud. It is painful, and there is no capability to clearly discern the music at that volume. It all just becomes static. Seems so irresponsible.

mine work better :p

This always makes my ringing WORSE!

Last edited:
There is tinnitus and there is TINNITUS. Everyone gets it every now and again after loud music or blood pressure related etc. Mine is a constant high pitch ringing (like from B&W CRT) and is always there. I can even hear it over cabin noise in an aircraft. Mine is nerve damage and its incurable.

Here is my experience.

I have tinnitus in my left ear since the last 10 years or so. I switched my mobile from left to right ear and now there is mild tinnitus in my right as well. Also the mild one on the right ear comes and goes.

I do HIIT sometimes. During normal brisk walking (about 35 mins to 45 mins) I do intensive short runs of 20 seconds, total 3 rounds, when I do, that night there is hardly any tinnitus in any ear. The next day, it comes back.

Can anyone try HIIT and report, doesnt take much if one is already doing moderate exercise of any kind?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't know what HIIT is. But exercise does help a lot.

I've also been taking Melatonin supplements and Zinc + Magnesium fortification for a few months.

The problem has gotten to the point that if I'm not listening for it, it doesn't trouble me too much. But I do hear it just before falling asleep and it intensifies a lot if I listen to loud music. But it does settle back to its mean value after a few days of a little care.

I've had tinnitus since 1999/2000. Both ears pretty loud. I had an interesting chat with my daughter this evening. She emigrated to The Netherlands last year, and came across a reference to controlling ear acoustics and tinnitus, so she went to read further. She wants to buy this product, and send it to me to try out and see if it does have an effect on my tinnitus. It may just be snake oil; they do not however claim that it lowers tinnitus levels, just that some people have reported back to them that they seem to experience lower levels after using the product.

Calmer Life
– Flare Audio Ltd

Not certain when it will arrive here (via Aramex Online Shopper) but I will provide feedback once I have them.

Just AAMOI, after helping my best friend with some cutting of alu on Saturday, and having a lunch and two ciders, I sat down that night and listened to some music on a newly repaired SACD player. Around 9pm while changing CDs I suddenly realised that my tinnitus was so to say non existent. Went to bed that night superbly relaxed (and extremely happy because the SACD laser mechanism replacement had drastically improved the quality of the overall sound from the player) and had a wonderful sleep. The next morning the tinnitus was back albeit at a much lower level than usual. Yesterday the levels were back to almost normal - but only after a morning of tramping around on a site survey. Conclusion - the higher stress the louder the tinnitus; today levels are back to "normal" levels - even louder than yesterday. Go figure!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting that stress makes it worse. FWIW a friend bought a set of those earplugs on my recommendation. He found them to do nothing worthwhile.

I thought that I had tinnitus in my right ear at a very low level. But I just spent over 2 weeks in a very quiet environment and could not detect it. For any practical situation, it seems that I do not have tinnitus. That's fortunate. :up: