Tin of FETs headphone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although I do not normally build amps with output coupling caps, I find this a very clever solution for a portable.
So I have taken the liberty to play around a bit with the circuit.
I hope you would not mind.
<snip>

Hello Patrick,

I have a renewed interest in this circuit. I pulled out the initial boards I built last fall, removed the single 470uF polar cap, and added a pair of 1000uF bipolars. To my ear the change resulted in surprisingly good sound. I have ordered new boards that accommodate the larger caps, and am measuring JFETs while waiting for the boards to arrive.

I have enough devices to build two boards, where all 20 devices are Idss matched to within +/- 500uA . I'm not quite done, and with luck might be able to find enough that are Idss matched to within +/- 250uA.

My real question is how to use the closest matches? Would it be best to use closest matches in the Q9-Q10 positions? Or would it be best to use closest matches on the Q9-Q7-Q5... positions (and again in Q10-Q8-Q6... positions)? Regardless of this choice, I *think* I remember that Q10-Q8-Q6 positions should have a slightly higher Idss than the Q9-Q7-Q5 positions. Or maybe vice-versa. It's a very dim memory, and I can't find put my finger on any particular post.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.