TI TPA3255EVM

I have already tested my EVM board with mean well 48/350w. I have another EVM board on the way. Can you guys suggest me if having two EVM boards in Mono mode with one 48/350w would provide better result than having single board in, two channel mode?
Even if I am not planning to run it very loud.

Not going to work, as that's only putting out 12v. Sorry!
A server PSU usually features a set of proprietary connectors to allow one server to have multiple redundant PSUs. Can't really tell you what the pin-out is without information about make and model. You should probably be looking elsewhere for a suitable SMPS as you will need more than 12V to drive your amplifier board. I wouldn't waste my time with a server unit.

Thank you guys. I will look for a 48v unit then. Also, what wattage PS do you recommend if I want to drive it in 600W Mono mode. I have ordered two of the boards, one for each channel.

Thanks

The 3255 is designed for 51 volt rails. Many of us are using the lrs 350-48 (48v smps are readily available) which you can adjust up to 51v from the 48 nominal. That said if you're wanting to squeeze every last drop out of the amp (not sure how it will do sustained at those power levels), then look around meanwell's website to see which lines have a 600+ watt, 48 v smps that you can adjust up to 51. Think maybe the se600-48 will

The 3255 is designed for 51 volt rails. Many of us are using the lrs 350-48 (48v smps are readily available) which you can adjust up to 51v from the 48 nominal. That said if you're wanting to squeeze every last drop out of the amp (not sure how it will do sustained at those power levels), then look around meanwell's website to see which lines have a 600+ watt, 48 v smps that you can adjust up to 51. Think maybe the se600-48 will

Above 50v are mean for > 6ohm which doesn't exceed 200w per channel

For 4ohm BTL or 2ohm PBTL, suggested to stay below 50v

Another side note in the datasheet, 4ohm BTL cannot sustain continuous max power due to thermal overload protection in the <100hz

I have Magnepan 1.6QR listed at 4ohms. Maggies are very power hungry/high current speakers. I was hoping I can use one amp to drive one speaker in bridge mode. That's why I bought two amps. Is the LRS-350-48 good enough to drive one amp in bridge mode to hard drive the Maggies or should I look for a bigger power supply. I dont want to buy something low wattage now only to upgrade it later if the smaller PS doesn't solve my purpose.

In that case, you can buy another same power supply to run the other tpa3255 at max voltage >50v. Set TP3255 PBTL for both amps. This will be more ideal.

Since your speaker is 4ohm , running PBTL will reduce thermal requirement and ensure low distortion during high current draw

In that case, you can buy another same power supply to run the other tpa3255 at max voltage >50v. Set TP3255 PBTL for both amps. This will be more ideal.

Since your speaker is 4ohm , running PBTL will reduce thermal requirement and ensure low distortion during high current draw

I am kinda confused by all the terminology. So, this amp has two channels, left and right. As per my understanding, the "bridge" mode (based on the crown XLI1500 amp I am using now) is that if the bridge is set, the power from both L&R will be supplied to one channel (usually L). I can hook one speaker to the amp in the bridge mode. Since crown has a builtin powersupply, its supplying the power from both channels to just one channel.

Now, I want to do same thing. I mean drive each speaker with one amp in "bridge mode (the crown amp terminology) ". And behind each amp, I want to connect a power supply. So what is the optimal power supply wattage should I use to drive the amp. Also, what is setting need in the amp to achieve it.

I was almost going to buy the hypex NC400 kit a few weeks till I found about 3255 and was sold on it. I do know that this needs more handholding than the NC400 kit, but I can follow the directions (I think so .. i have an EE degree but thats moot since it was billions year ago and I need to call an electrician to install or change a switch).

Thanks for all your help guys!

There are 4x single ended amplifier blocks per TPA3255EVM (and per chip for that matter)

You can configure the amplifier board as:
4x single ended
1x bridge tied load (BTL) + 2x single ended
2x BTL
1x paralleled BTL (PBTL), which would be needed for low impedance loads and max power.

To which of many 3255 boards do you refer? If the TI TPA3255EVM, Please post your question in the thread dedicated to that specific unit for a relevant specific reply.

In any case, if the source, e.g., iPod, phone, etc., doesn’t have volume controls, a preamp would suffice. Adding a pot to a board would be a different process for each variation.

OK, amp is hooked up to the mean well and it's making music.

1st impression was a lot of bass and the mids and treble were rough. So it's been left on to burn in for a bit.

Several hours later the mids and treble are doing much better so it will continue to get more burn in time. It sounds good already which is a good sign.

It's hooked up to the basement system and even with just a few hours on it it's better sounding than any other amp that's been in that pretty modest system. So even if the amp doesn't end up being a keeper in the main system it'll be wonderful downstairs.

Very basic question. I am not able to mount the board on any chassis as the screws I have doesn't fit on standoff spacers. The size of the screw seems to be same as used in computer parts mounting. But, It seems the threads on these spacers are not matching with the screws I have (I have different types of screw in my collection). How do you manage to get compatible ones.

Can you please share the specs if you have it, I will try to order online.